IGNORED

Manchester United (Home)

gethinO

I know we are a few weeks away from the first game but just out of interest, what line up would you like to see? Now that we've signed Pienaar i'm quietly confident. Hopefully a night game against a top team will kick start our season unlike the rubbish we've got used to over the past few seasons. My line up would be:

Howard

Neville Jagielka Heitinga Baines

Rodwell Gibson

Osman Fellaini Pienaar

Jelavic

Subs: Mucha, Hibbert, Distin, Coleman, Naismith, Anichebe, Barkley

Would anyone change anything from this line up?

Edited by Geth

I'd like to see Barkley or Naismith up behind Jelly, although against Utd it's probably not ideal to be trying new combinations. Felli went pretty well there at the end of last season so I think we should leave him there to give them a few headaches. Same for Coleman (I'd like to see him at RB), probably better to wait for a weaker team to trial some new things.

Edited by Pearso

I know we are a few weeks away from the first game but just out of interest, what line up would you like to see? Now that we've signed Pienaar i'm quietly confident. Hopefully a night game against a top team will kick start our season unlike the rubbish we've got used to over the past few seasons. My line up would be:

Howard

Neville Jagielka Heitinga Baines

Rodwell Gibson

Osman Fellaini Pienaar

Jelavic

Subs: Mucha, Hibbert, Distin, Coleman, Naismith, Anichebe, Barkley

Would anyone change anything from this line up?

Not sure if Rodwell would make the line up? Could easily see Felli with Gibbo and Barkley or Naismith behind Jelly. I personally haven't had the chance to watch any pre-season stuff but I've been hearing that Rodwell has looked very pedestrian in games... Also Distin instead of Jags? I'd like to see:

Howard

Hibbert Heitinga Distin Baines

Fellaini Gibson

Osman Barkley Pienaar

Jelavic

This has all been said before, but I'm very bored.

If no one gets injured I expect this to be our starting line up for the majority of prem games. I'd like to see an alternative formation with Anichebe upfront, and the kids be given 20 mins more regularly and a start if their performance warrants it.

Howard

Hib/Nev Heit/Jags Distin Baines

Rodwell Gibson

Os/Nai Fellaini Pienaar

Jelavic

Personally I'd go with pretty much this, but Osman (for Gib or Rod) has to play in the middle he had his best games there but have fluidity between the middle 3 rather than rigid positions, and have Naismith or Anichebe (not a big fan of him on the right, but if he can be assed he will bully Evra) on the right. Hibbert or Neville depending on who plays on the left for man u. Heitinga paired with either Jags or Distin, and if Heitinga gets injured or sold, I'd prefer Duffy or Hibbert to play with either Jags or Distin as they really don't work as a pair.

Hopefully Fellaini will catch the ball as beautifully as last time and score a few more headers and get in double figures if not play him deep where he already owns that position. Also we struggled from set pieces last seaon, it was reminiscent of Arteta. Baines is no Beckham so shouldn't be on every set piece as it got predictable. I'd like a few more set plays, and duties to be shared so we can be more dangerous from set pieces and help the cb's contribute more goals. Jela to continue how he started would be fantastic, 20 goals a seasoncelebrate.gif

So the minimum target against united is a one touch finish from Jela, a volley from Felli, and goal from a set play for a defender. A clean sheet would be nice but I'm not that greedy, I'll settle for 3-1.

Edited by pete0

does anyone know that starting line up?

i would like to see naismith on one side and Peanuts on the other.

With Felli and Gibbo in the middle we should be pretty solid.

What about a fast right back to bring into the team during the season? Hibbo is the best he has ever been but we really need to be thinking of a long term replacment for him now. Not sure Coleman is going to be right for that position, more of a winger than a defender.

I'm waiting to see if there are other signings. Still think we need a RW even though Naismith has arrived. Would also like to see a different RB. Just have a feeling that our right side will be exploited by other teams this season. I will say that I feel optimistic that Everton will have a decent first half of the season(finally) -- regardless if we get new signings or not.

Edited by TonkaRoost

I'm waiting to see if there are other signings. Still think we need a RW even though Naismith has arrived. Would also like to see a different RB. Just have a feeling that our right side will be exploited by other teams this season. I will say that I feel optimistic that Everton will have a decent first half of the season(finally) -- regardless if we get new signings or not.

Who has a better balance than Hibbert? All I can think of is Sagna, and he's not amazing. There's Johnson and Walker, but they are mediocre at best against top half opposition.

Not sure if Rodwell would make the line up? Could easily see Felli with Gibbo and Barkley or Naismith behind Jelly. I personally haven't had the chance to watch any pre-season stuff but I've been hearing that Rodwell has looked very pedestrian in games... Also Distin instead of Jags? I'd like to see:

Howard

Hibbert Heitinga Distin Baines

Fellaini Gibson

Osman Barkley Pienaar

Jelavic

Like the look of this team alot!!

hibbert distin heitenga baines

naismith felli gibson pienaar

barkley

jelavic

maybe jags or coleman in for hibbert. neville shouldnt be starting games this season he couldnt run last season never mind a year on and that backtracking and hoofing it up has really got to stop we have good footballing players now, united are weak in the middle of midfield so if we get fellaini on the ball alot we could cause an upset.

• 2 weeks later...

manchester-united-logo.jpg

Date: 20th August 2012

Venue: Goodison Park

KO: 20:00

Surprised nobody has opened a thread up about this already, we are only five days away from our 2012/13 season kicking off against arguably the favourites to win it this year - Manchester United.

Since last time Everton have obviously added to their team with the signings of Steven Naismith and Steven Pienaar whilst Manchester United have signed Shinji Nakawa (Dortmund) and Nick Powell (Crewe) both of which have been tipped to shine in the Premier League, Robin van Persie has apparantly entered final talks with United over a move but I doubt he'll sign in time to play against us.

What are your expectations of the game? Will you settle for a draw?

Will Naismith score on his Premiership debut?

Will Jelavic have his shooting boots on?

Many questions to be answered about the game coming up and I actually think we are in good enough shape to win it on Monday, we'll have to bring our 'A' game but seeing as its the first game of the season I see no reason why we shoulden't.

Zoo's Prediction: Everton 1 Manchester United 1

Edited by Zoo

If Fellaini is fit and in warrior mode like the game at OT, I think we will over power them. Rio is past it, hopefully be remindful of when Ferguson used to bully him. 3-2 a sloppy goal and an assist from the referee for them, Naismith scrappy goal from a set-piece, Felli screamer, and Jela 90th minute poach for the win :).

Hopefully Fellaini and Gibson are fit to start, unless there is an alternative agenda for Fellaini missing last couple of games. I can see us giving it a real good go with our usual renewed optimism. A rip roaring start to the season sees the blues win 2-0..................think I must get back to the ward now byeeeee.

United are title favorites?, that's news to me, or maybe someone's Manchester City animosity clouding judgments..

would have prefered an actual weekend fixture for this, not really happy about a Monday night start and I think it will work in their favor. Still can't believe the new season is already upon us, where do the damn weeks go to. sad.png We have brought in some new faces, a few no thrills players that can do a job, but quietly confident. The crowd will be up for it for sure, but they're simply the better side without question, I don't know if even the venue will be advantageous with the players at their disposal. Heart says a victory, head dictates a loss.

Everton 0 Manchester United 2

City have only brought in Rodwell over the summer which is a terrible signing and they have never had the pressure of having to hold onto a league title. Manchester United will be right on their heels from the off and I think its inevitable that they crack.

van Persie is set to sign on Thursday now, could see him at Goodison Park in United colours.

Hopefully Fellaini and Gibson are fit to start, unless there is an alternative agenda for Fellaini missing last couple of games. I can see us giving it a real good go with our usual renewed optimism. A rip roaring start to the season sees the blues win 2-0..................think I must get back to the ward now byeeeee.

Beards alive!

Where you sittin?

dunno yet mate, but beers beforehand are long overdue Edited by Matt