IGNORED

Villa

Memmaclub

I thought it was a great first half. Good quick passing kept a poor Villa out of it. I'm delighted Jelavic scored too.

I was surprised Moyes went for attacking substitutions and you could see gaps opening up in our defence when Gibson went off, however, DM can't be criticised for going for more goals when we are 3 up.

Pleasing start to the season, and 4 points more than I thought we would have.

Sorry if this is a re post, but after the match one of the announcers mentioned that the last time we won at Villa Park we qualified for the Champions League. Here is hoping it is a fortuitous sign of things to come.

It wasn't as far back as that I'm sure of it. They beat us 4-1 (or 4-0) up there in 2005 around Christmas before we won the return 4-0 (or 4-1) I think it was the next March or April, but I'm certain our last success at their stadium wasn't as far back as that, may of been the FA cup Final season or the one before it, but sure it wasn't as far back as 2004/05. Surely not.

Thanks for the highlights Avin, was out all last night so didn't have chance to see the game.

Amazing display from Everton today, Pienaar's goal was masterclass as was Jelavic's. We got lucky for Fellaini's header but with all the chances we had I think we deserved at least a 3 goal cushion, I'm sure we will take this fighting spirit into the WBA game in a few days.

Thanks for the highlights Avin, was out all last night so didn't have chance to see the game.

Amazing display from Everton today, Pienaar's goal was masterclass as was Jelavic's. We got lucky for Fellaini's header but with all the chances we had I think we deserved at least a 3 goal cushion, I'm sure we will take this fighting spirit into the WBA game in a few days.

Indeed, had we not sat back in the last 30 min we could have had another 3 and Mirallas had a goal ruled offside

Indeed, had we not sat back in the last 30 min we could have had another 3 and Mirallas had a goal ruled offside

From a footballing point of view I think sitting back was probably the best idea. We were 3 goals up and they only had 10 men, if I were Moyes I'd of told our lads to take it easy and keep their fitness levels up for the games ahead, there was no need to keep pushing considering how far we were in the lead. I do however feel that we let off the gas too much, we let Villa back into the game - even to the point of conceding and were lucky to have been saved by the post in the 90th minute.

Mirallas looked handy though, on MOTD they only showed one bit of footage of him and that was his goal which was ruled offside, I hope he plays against Leyton Orient to get his goal tally open.

In the first half we really were majestic. I have no idea what Lambert what was talking about when he said he thought they started well. Maybe he was pleased that they'd managed to make the kick off? They were never in that first half, and only managed one attempt at goal in the whole half and that was a daisy cutter right before half-time, while we were approaching double figures for attempts. That's how dominant we were, that's how much control we had in the game. It was a joy to watch and the difference in class was actually embarrassing. Fortunately, I dislike Villa and could laugh at them running round like little lost boys rather than feel sorry for them. Pienaar's early goal really set us on our way, and what a sublime finish it was! If not for the early goal it might have been a case of Groundhog Day; where we dominate but don't convert. But that early goal gave us the platform to believe we could go on to score more. And we did exactly that. And the neat passing in the lead up to that goal was so good to watch, and was a taste of what was to come. Fellaini made it two goals in two games. What the hell Shay Given was doing for that goal I have no idea. He's definitely not the keeper he once was. What an absolutely brilliant cross it was by Jagielka though, inch perfect. Deservedly we also got a third goal, and this was our best goal, IMO. There was some excellent interplay by Baines and Fellaini to get Baines into position to get the cross in. Then the movement by Jelavic to get himself free was world class; he pulled back off his man for Baines to duly supply a perfect pull back ball to him. Followed by the typical one touch BOOM we've come to expect from the ice man. The rest of the half continued in a similar vein in that we played some classy stuff and had so many chances that we could have been 5 or 6 up. You could see that the whole team knew we were better than Villa and I thoroughly enjoyed watching us toy with an inferior opposition. I'd say that first half was better than anything we showed against United.

We started the second half exactly as we'd ended the first half; completely on top. And I really did think it was going to be a rout. Sadly, we took our foot off the pedal. However, I don't think it was quite as bad as some have made out. Villa may be shit and had a man sent off but they were at home and were always going to have a spell in the game where they had more of the ball than us and have chances. What disappointed me was the way we responded to that. The central defensive pairing had looked so strong against United when under pressure but yesterday they looked like they may crumble at any moment. Because of this we needed the midfield to step up and show composure and keep hold of the ball to take the pressure off the defence but they struggled to do this and, particularly Fellaini, seemed more interested in going to ground in the hope of getting a free-kick. We're better than that. He's better than that.

Overall, a good three points and plenty of positives to take from the game, but a couple of things to work on too.

Howard - Had pretty much nothing to do for the majority game and then when he was called upon he fucked up. Yes the ball moved but he still got his hands to it and should have been able to parry it away, not into the bastard goal.

Neville - I literally do not remember him figuring in any way for us; good or bad.

Jagielka & Distin - Had nothing to do in the first half because Villa barely got near goal. The only time either one of them figured was when Jagielka decided he'd actually like to play a bit and got forward to put a perfect cross in to set Fellaini up. The second half when we were under pressure they looked very shaky. One moment that stands out was when they hit the post after Distin had completely lost his man. No idea what he was thinking but he was too far away from him.

Baines - I think this was his best game for us for a very long time. There have been signs of him getting back to his best but yesterday was when it all clicked. He linked up excellently, was like a Duracell bunny up and down the wing, and his delivery was top notch again.

Naismith - I was extremely impressed by him yesterday. He always wanted the ball and was looking to be involved every time we went forward, there was no fear of being in a new league and coming into a side who had played so well in the previous game without him. I liked that he got into some very good positions by taking up some intelligent positions and was unlucky not to get the opportunity to test Given due to some good defending. Also, he didn't shy away from the defensive side of his responsiblities either; he tracked back every time.

Osman - He was a busy bee and at the centre of our good play. Playing centrally is definitely the right place for him because you can see his natural inclination is drift there and because he doesn't have to think about defending as much he can do damage with his quick feet and quick footballing brain. That's exactly what he did yesterday, he really pulled the strings for us.

Gibson - I think yesterday was Gibson's best game for us. This is because I actually noticed him for a change. Usually he goes about his business quietly and you barely know he's there, but yesterday he really stood out for me and stamped his authority on the game. He really did make us tick with his short and long range passing to get us moving. But he got himself more involved in our attacking play as well, not content to merely sit infront of the defence, take the ball off them and then give it to someone else. He wanted to bring the ball forward himself or play a long ball to try to play Jelavic in. He led the charge rather than being in the background. My MOTM.

Pienaar - He was typical Pienaar really. His performances very rarely differ tbh, his play is very consistent and yesterday was no different. He worked his arse off, linked up well with every one, showed classy touches etc etc. He's so industrious. And topped all of his typical work off with an absolutely beautiful goal. If that goal was scored by Aguero or whoever it'd be getting creamed over on SSN.

Fellaini - He wasn't at his all conquering best but he was still pretty damn good, and if he plays like that for most of this season then I'll be a happy man. He floated all about the pitch and was heavily involved in our good play. He also showed excellent strength to hold off challenges. Most notably for Jelavic's goal when he held off a challenge and then played the ball back to Baines to cross.

Jelavic - Is he fit? Because he looked absolutely knackered throughout. That being said, it didn't seem to make any difference because he still had a good game. He worked his socks off upfront; he chased countless balls down the side of the Villa defence and used the ball intelligently from those positions. He also took up some brilliant positions to receive the ball. One occasion was when when the Villa man got sent off, another was when he'd made space for himself to receive a long ball on his chest. The best of the lot was when he got his goal; his movement was phenomenal.

I don't normally mention subs but for this game I'm going to have to.

Coleman - I gave him a lot of stick last season for being poor but I thought he was excellent when he came on yesterday, and was exactly what we needed at that time. He looked so much more like the exciting, no fear player we saw when he first started playing. He took the ball forward at every opportunity, but he seemed to have purpose when he did. And he must've been working on his crossing because it looked so much better.

Mirallas - It was only a cameo appearance but it got me ridiculously excited tbh. In the short time he was on the pitch he could have had a hat-trick! I loved that his first thought every time was to go forward, with or without the ball. He just wanted to attack. He looks to have very good movement too; highlighted in his disallowed goal for offside.

Do you go to the away matches Mark? Or are you reviews based on streams/football focus (great report btw smile.png).

is it me or does coleman look fitter and quicker this season?

I thought that too, he seems to have gained a yard or two!

Edited by Zoo