IGNORED

Villa

Memmaclub

Think that 6 is pushing it but I do think that we will win, based on the performance against Manchester United I can see us comfortably having this one 2-0. I think we will set up a little more attacking for the game and hopefully go into the break with the 2 goal lead already established, from there we can bring on the likes of Heitinga/Coleman and see the game out by putting 11 men behind the ball.

An essential three points as this will really set our season off, if we lose or draw we're back to square one.

An essential three points as this will really set our season off, if we lose or draw we're back to square one.

Not necessarily....if someone had offered us four point from the first two games yesterday we'd have taken it wouldn't we?

As I said elsewhere, four points from the trips to Villa and West Brom would be fine (six would obviously be bettertongue.png ) and Villa looks like the easier trip at the mo so I'd hope for a win but wouldn't jump off a cliff if we draw.

I'd of taken it if it would have been one point against Manchester United. If you offered me one point against Villa then I'd say no, because Villa are shite. Based on the facts we have beaten one of the best teams in the country 1-0 and for most of the game looked the better team, by contrast Aston Villa lost 1-0 in their opening game of the season against a newly promoted side.

Surely we should be looking for a win here and IMO anything other than a win would be a failure considering the size of our opponant and coming off the back of Monday.

I'd of taken it if it would have been one point against Manchester United. If you offered me one point against Villa then I'd say no, because Villa are shite. Based on the facts we have beaten one of the best teams in the country 1-0 and for most of the game looked the better team, by contrast Aston Villa lost 1-0 in their opening game of the season against a newly promoted side.

It's a long season and we won't play like we did last night every time (if we did we'd win the league). Need to keep our feet on the ground and expectations in check a bit. Having said that the fixtures we've got I wouldn't be surprised if we're top of the league at the end of Septembertongue.png .

We always flatter to deceive, good against the top sides but not so good against the lower sides.

A win would be an excellent Bonus but i fear we might only get a draw. 1-1

That's not the problem against Villa, we tend to turn up and do everything, but fail to find the net more than Villa, who have less of the play and somehow manage to sneak it. They're luckier than Liverpool, deserved to be relegated last season.

I think we need to look at Villa and see what happened with them in a very short space of time as a consequence of selling their best / better players.

Constantly pushing us for 5th and 6th to becoming very mediocre.

I expect us to tear them a new one if we're all fit, as we are playing ok with the ball, and Villa won't have anything like the possession United had.

Villa are certainly a much easier team to play against than they used to be, but despite that they still have some decent players lurking about. From what I saw of them at the weekend, they didnt look up to much but we still have to keep the same focus as we did against Utd and also improve on the areas we werent as good in.

I would like to see Osman in the middle, with one of Mirallas/Naismith/Gueye given a go on the wing to help carve Villa open. Neville/Gibson had a decent game but we dont need both of them to start on occasions like this IMO.

I'm guessing we'll see a slightly different looking team come saturday, especially with the shortened week.

My best (and most wishful) guess is something like:

Howard

Hibbert Heitinga Jags Baines

Gibson

Osman Fellaini Pienaar

Naismith

Jelavic

Perhaps Gueye will get a start, too

It's a long season and we won't play like we did last night every time (if we did we'd win the league). Need to keep our feet on the ground and expectations in check a bit. Having said that the fixtures we've got I wouldn't be surprised if we're top of the league at the end of Septembertongue.png .

We always flatter to deceive, good against the top sides but not so good against the lower sides.

A win would be an excellent Bonus but i fear we might only get a draw. 1-1

These post have quite clearly nailed what i think. As an Evertonian just has got grown to a bit pessimistic. Pessimistics doesnt get disappointed. As much i loved our playing and result vs manu, ill be happy for a point from away, more is ofc nice bonus.

Having had a lurk on a few villa sites they seem to think they will lose, but are hoping that the home fans see them through. They are looking to change the way they play from last seasons abomination that was Alex McLeish. They expect to have a rough start and improve as the season goes on. They also believe that without re-inforcements especialy to help out in attack they will struggle.

Villa are a toothless tiger, I expect us to be too stong for them in all areas, they no longer have the pace they used to and alot of their players are low on confidence.

DM will want us to push on and build a winning mentality, dont expect the same heroics but do expect us to be very attacking after keeping it tight for the first 15 minutes.

Prediction 0-3

With respect i think many of you are underestimating Aston Villa, if you look at what the Club has gone through in the last 2 seasons its no surprise we are now seen as whipping boys!

But we have a new found unity between both Fans and Club, yes i know it sounds a bit cheesy but it is true!

The west ham result was not the best but the signs of improvement are there along with some very tasty looking signings in Vlaar,Almadi and Holman, the game itself was pretty crap and without making excuses the goal should not have been allowed but hey ho!

The heat was unreal and affected both teams, But we are a Club who is in recovery and change takes time, Paul Lambert will be given this time and when you visit Villa Park the Atmosphere will be rocking ( i hope lol) compare to the last 2 seasons!

2-2 and a cracking game! watch out for Brett Holman who is my pick for surprise package of the season! the one and only thing we Villa Fans have to thank Alex McLeish for !!

With respect i think many of you are underestimating Aston Villa, if you look at what the Club has gone through in the last 2 seasons its no surprise we are now seen as whipping boys!

I wouldn't blame the last 2 years. MO'N wasted a fortune on motd inform players and some utter fodder, the implosion was always coming. Paul Lambert is a good manager though and if he managers to keep Villa up I can see him rebuilding well over a few years like Moyes has done with us.

Paul Lambert is a good manager though and if he managers to keep Villa up I can see him rebuilding well over a few years like Moyes has done with us.

Lambert will only rebuild villa if his chairman gives him time. I don't know if Lerner will or if he'll stick about (Lerner) long enough to determine how much time.

Lambert will only rebuild villa if his chairman gives him time. I don't know if Lerner will or if he'll stick about (Lerner) long enough to determine how much time.

Our Chairman has made some real mistakes since taking charge of Villa, no question about that.

But the Club and Fans seem to be on the same page where rebuilding and moving the club forward is concerned, Lambert will be given time and freedom to put his changes in to effect at Villa.

I honestly like the way many opposition Fans have written Villa off this season, understandable but i think we are to be underestimated at your peril!

Our Chairman has made some real mistakes since taking charge of Villa, no question about that.

But the Club and Fans seem to be on the same page where rebuilding and moving the club forward is concerned, Lambert will be given time and freedom to put his changes in to effect at Villa.

I honestly like the way many opposition Fans have written Villa off this season, understandable but i think we are to be underestimated at your peril!

You still have quite a few decent players knocking around and Im sure that eventually things will start clicking into place, just hopefully not before the weekend!

I actually think Vlaar isnt that great at the back, he looked really poor for Holland in the euros (although admittedly so did Heitinga) and while he seems strong and tough (and will probably do well against Felli) he might struggle with the more intelligent and nimbler players (like Jelavic, Osman, Pienaar).

Have to disagree about Vlaar, he could become the new McGrath but without the hangovers!! lol

We do have some really talented players like Ireland,N'Zogbia,Given,Bent and Agbonlahor, but we are trying to blood quite a few of our academy graduates as well! the likes of Bannan, Gardner,Clark,Baker and Weinmann have really had to hit the ground running last term, most aquitted themselves as best they could under the negative negative defensive tactics of McLeish.

I aways look at things through Claret and Blue tinted Glasses!! lol

I do like Villa and have watched some cracking games between the teams.

I see parallels between us just after Smith / start of Moyes and them now under Lambert. Both in terms of negative tactics used by managers, the 8 defenders played by smith against Newcastle still gives me nightmares. McLeish used similar tactics last season.

You will get better and play better football but this will be a rebuilding process and take time. I think that you will struggle but finish around 15th if you can get some support for Bent and get N'zogbia and Ireland to play to their potential.

I really hope you survive as you have a great club, supporters and tradition.

I still think we will win this one as we need to maintain momentum, its just unfortunate that you couldnt get a result against the hammers despite playing quite well.

0-3 to us

I still think we will win this one as we need to maintain momentum, its just unfortunate that you couldnt get a result against the hammers despite playing quite well.

0-3 to us

Thats the thing most Villans are happy with, some very nice passing football and we seemed to donminate the play in the middle of the park for the most part, these are good signs for the future as we looked totally clueless last season....it was really upsetting to watch a team with no drive, motivation or togetherness!

I still think we can get our first points of the season in a near sell out crowd! i would love it to be a win but a draw would be a start against a Everton team who i really think can challenge for honours this season, maybe not the league but certainly the Cups!

I think your chairman with the right manager when he invested a right old hefty sum in the playing staff would have had villa in the top 4.

Problem was MON spent a fortune on players he didnt use and had them on mega salaries.

He had his fingers burned with oniell and will back lambert when he sees his shrewd class.

Edited by Hafnia

We've had some of the best games I can remember against this opposition, and that covers a lot of years but the focus is on this weekend and I don't think it will be anything but easy. They had a defeat on opening day unfortunately and will want to kickstart their season and what better way than a home fixture. We have the players to get a result but they also have a few decent names and I feel maybe the two wins out of two games people will want won't fully come to pass. A difficult match for both clubs involvement, but this looks like a tie to me, maybe on paper at least, represents a decent outcome.

aston villa 1 everton 1

I still don't think Lambert should have left Norwich. I appreciate Villa is a big job, but I've seen so many managers go from having great success at their own club, to being out of a job within a year or so after moving to a bigger club. There were still challenges there at Norwich that I felt he should have met a little longer.

Have to disagree about Vlaar, he could become the new McGrath but without the hangovers!! lol

We do have some really talented players like Ireland,N'Zogbia,Given,Bent and Agbonlahor, but we are trying to blood quite a few of our academy graduates as well! the likes of Bannan, Gardner,Clark,Baker and Weinmann have really had to hit the ground running last term, most aquitted themselves as best they could under the negative negative defensive tactics of McLeish.

I aways look at things through Claret and Blue tinted Glasses!! lol

As I said my main basis of him is based on the Euro's so he may well turn out to be a lot better than he showed there!

You will certainly be a completely different team to what you were last season as you probably couldnt get two more contrasting managers! Its just whether Lambert is given the time he needs to get the squad settled and stamp his philosophy into your play.