IGNORED

Steven Naismith debate

Avinalaff

Glad he's getting some plaudits for his effort and hard graft and he's playing as most knew he could when not played out wide like under Moyes.

He's obviously no world beater but players like him can be pivotal in teams winning usually more so in big games, he's our version of Dirk Kuyt.

But doesn't look like his face is melting.

Always said he should only be played as a forward player. Knows where to be at the right time and can put the ball in the back of the net. In fact, I honestly believe he's the best finisher at the club. His goal yesterday was taken so coolly.

Spot on Rom,

So comfortable in front of goal. Great finisher.

Genuinely believe he'd score lots of goals with a partne who links play with his back to goal with Naismith getting in behind.

That's what I mean, give him a chance like he had against Villa and he will score. He intercepted against Swansea and there was no panic on his face. As soon as the ball left his feet he knew it went in and started celebrating.

I do think he is a hard worker and do believe he should be left in the strikers position but he won't get ahead of Lukaku or Traore, unfortunately. Even though I think if you gave Lukaku those two chances he would have fluffed them the way he is playing.

Lukaku is an excellent finisher, his problem at the moment is that he is creating or having chances created for him.

So why is Naismith getting these chances?.... Simple, he's looking for them. Lukaku's movement is like a HGV. He's static.

I have seen Lukaku in plenty of good positions to score but the balls not been played to him, especially when its come from the right and one of Coleman/Mirallas.

Naismith makes cleverer runs, not denying that (especially the Villa goal) but to suggest Lukaku doesnt is a joke.

I have seen Lukaku in plenty of good positions to score but the balls not been played to him, especially when its come from the right and one of Coleman/Mirallas.

Naismith makes cleverer runs, not denying that (especially the Villa goal) but to suggest Lukaku doesnt is a joke.

He doesn't make enough decent runs behind. Very evident. Naismith has had loads of late and bagged them all. Nothing to do with service proved by Naisy.

He doesn't make enough decent runs behind. Very evident. Naismith has had loads of late and bagged them all. Nothing to do with service proved by Naisy.

Naismith hasnt really though has he, at least not against Premiership opposition.

He scored the goal against Villa which helped create with good build up play but in that game he also had Mirallas play up top with him. Other than that, I cant think of a chance where he got in behind and on goal from our own play.

Naismith hasnt really though has he, at least not against Premiership opposition.

He scored the goal against Villa which helped create with good build up play but in that game he also had Mirallas play up top with him. Other than that, I cant think of a chance where he got in behind and on goal from our own play.

Played upfront 5 times scored 4 goals. Enough said.

Enough said? That has no relevance to what I wrote...

You referred to Lukaku not getting service. Naismith has 4 goals in 5 appearances upfront. 3 of those Substitutions. His movement is second to none. His finishing is brilliant.

Have you not thought that maybe Naismith is finding the space and positions better than Lukaku. I keep referring to movement. It's key to getting chances. For me Lukaku is too static and you can't keep bumping excuse of service when there is a player in the squad who is getting opportunities and finishing them.

I think if we scrap his right midfield performances and judge him on his play as a lone striker he has done brilliant.

Forget how or what circumstances his goals have been scored, he has surpassed everyone's expectations at a time when we have no other valid striker options. Yes mirallas runs with the ball etc but nearly every shot is with power down the keepers throat.

Naismith has operated in and around the centre halves with great intelligence.

I watched him in Scotland playing like this week in week out through the middle. He was never given the opportunity to show his real attributes until now.

Even on the wing he put a full shift in. He isnt technically gifted enough to play out there but he done a job. People were expecting too much.

Mirallas is a wide player, Naismith is better through the middle than Mirallas. Btw I think Mirallas is easily the best player in the squad now.

Edited by MiguelCotto

You referred to Lukaku not getting service. Naismith has 4 goals in 5 appearances upfront. 3 of those Substitutions. His movement is second to none. His finishing is brilliant.

Have you not thought that maybe Naismith is finding the space and positions better than Lukaku. I keep referring to movement. It's key to getting chances. For me Lukaku is too static and you can't keep bumping excuse of service when there is a player in the squad who is getting opportunities and finishing them.

I'm not doubting Naismith's credentials, that's why its irrelevant.

I don't doubt that Naismith's movement is good and that its better suited to packed defences (I have made the comment on here before), especially in comparison to Lukaku but the latter didnt score 8 in 8 games or whatever it was earlier in the season because he was stood still. Lukaku hasnt scored just shy of a goal every 2 games because he cant find space. I have watched Lukaku closely on a number of occasions and you wouldnt believe the number of times he has moved into space inside and outside the 18 yard box without being passed the ball. I'm not saying Naismith gets this service either btw, but claiming that Lukaku doesnt move the CB's around and make space for himself is a ridiculous comment.

Naismith has done well and Im not knocking the guy but look at when he has scored. Against lower league opposition playing a high line (alongside Mirallas), against Villa when he was the 2nd striker (alongside Mirallas) having come on as a sub and then when he was given a back pass 18 yards out and left 1 v 1. Nice movement, good link up play and cool finishing. If he keeps up this scoring form starting games, playing on his own against full strength Premier League teams then I would have to change my opinion on his overall contribution but I really don't expect it, in the same way Chicharito looks half the player for Man Utd when he starts in the League compared to when he comes on off the bench.

It's not a ridiculous comment. I stand by it. I don't think Lukaku's movement is very good. Compared to Naismiths it's bang average.

I'm not suggesting Naismith is the man to lead the line either. I think there is a time and place for him. But he does seem to unlock defences with his movement.

You can't evaluate his goals on opposition either. He can only score past those who he plays against. He scored against Chelsea at the start of the season. Liverpool last season.

Just stop the service defence because it doesn't really stand up. In 21 games Lukaku has had 58 shots.

Guest blueboy122

It's not a ridiculous comment. I stand by it. I don't think Lukaku's movement is very good. Compared to Naismiths it's bang average.

I'm not suggesting Naismith is the man to lead the line either. I think there is a time and place for him. But he does seem to unlock defences with his movement.

You can't evaluate his goals on opposition either. He can only score past those who he plays against. He scored against Chelsea at the start of the season. Liverpool last season.

Just stop the service defence because it doesn't really stand up. In 21 games Lukaku has had 58 shots.

Lukaku does more pointing as to where he wants the ball rather than running into space etc.

If we all had the ball exactly where we wanted it all the time we would all be great strikers.

soooo, 3 shots in 1 game, give or take. Sounds like a lack of service to me. Even then, its not that bad, especially when you add the fact he's averages a goal every 2.5 games.

But, like has already been mentioned, you've made your mind up so I wont bother going further

Edited by Matt

he came off saying he didnt know what he is doing, which was allot of our comments last season!

To the debate he is a good impact player and gives us different options we have a good blend of 3 different types of strikers and if you add Kevin to the mix it gives us a good blend depending on who we are playing and how the results are going. Is he a world beater no he isnt and i dont think any of us believe that to be the case, next season when our loan signings return would we be happy for him to lead the line probably not, but are we all happy with the progress he has made we surely are indeed and we dont groan when he comes on either. I recall when he signed Jelly saying he was one of the best finishers he has played with which is a compliment in itself.

I really do believe if he got more game time as a striker he would flourish. When given an opportunity he doesn't panic, so calm and collective.

I also think that he should be more of an impact sub, we have seen what he can do when coming on against Villa and Swansea (changes the games). When we need somebody to run at the defense then he is our man. Good player in my opinion. :)

Lukaku does more pointing as to where he wants the ball rather than running into space etc.

If we all had the ball exactly where we wanted it all the time we would all be great strikers.

I'm not even going to bother writing a response, because quite frankly, it would be wasted on you both.