IGNORED

Steven Naismith debate

Avinalaff

I admired his work rate and his tracking back at the weekend but I still don't see him as an Everton player. A number of people on here said he had a good game against Chelsea but I don't think making the odd tackle and being in the right place once before half time meant he played well. Just that he's fit, hungry and keen. This though doesn't make him a good footballer. He is a typical Moyes player, a hard worker with the addition of being technically poor. Other than one run towards the end he gave the ball frequently and never looked comfortable in possession. This is my main concern as most weeks we will be the dominant team and frankly I can't see him fitting into the Martinez ethos.

Thanks for the goal though, it made my weekend!

Could become another Gosling player over time, if he isn't already.

Wouldn't call Naismith a 'shit' player like some others, he did well for the most part in the SPL, but is that really saying much ? I think he's merely struggled to adapt to the english premier league and must have been taken out of his comfort zone when it's a different story going up against some of the best defenders in the country on a regular basis, than some mediocre or obscure names from Saint Johnstone or Motherwell for example. This could be a similar thing with the Jelavic inconsistencies. It's still early days for the player at the club and the EPL as a whole, but he has had ample time to have found his game now, some would argue. Got the goal at the weekend, but could very much be a flash in the pan for the player. Has been disappoiting as before, up until now in his Everton career, but take this opportunity to thank him again for being the difference over an opposition side on saturday I genuinely fail to recognize.

anyone who watched the game will have seen a player with a first class attitude who works his socks off.

For me the problem is when he has the ball, he lacks the technique and touch to help build attacks. Too many times he gave it away cheaply. Without the ball he was fantastic - hard working, tenacious, and motivating.

He is like a Dirk Kuyt - just not as good. Dirk Kuyt is a player i've often felt we could do with.

I think this year he is actually proving that he can do a job for us which he didnt last year.

Yes his technique and passing leave a lot to be desired some times but he gets his head down and works hard and his movement is actually pretty good. He isnt a player I would like to have to rely on for more than the odd couple of games here and there but he is at last earning his wage.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So sparking the debate again....

Naismith in a striker position? - looks a handy player, he knows where he wants the ball to be played and give him an opportunity he will take it with both hands.

I have always rated Naismith, I think he is a hard worker, will always run and go for the tackle and never lets his head drop. When he came on against Villa he changed the game and also when he come on against Swansea yesterday. A goal and penalty.

He seems to be coming into his own in the striker position and is full of confidence at the moment. He is good backup for Traore and Lukaku and has a good finish on him. When he first came to Goodison he seemed to snap at chances and panic a little. Now when he has the ball he doesn't panic, passes it well and can score a goal. Yesterday was a hard opportunity to take, I think if you put Lukaku in that position the way he has been playing recently he would have kicked it against the goalkeepers hands. Tidy finisher and hope he gets more game time, :)

I don't really see anything good to be honest. He's had one or two ok performances - but I've many concerns over what he has in his locker.

Athleticism:- poor, very poor. Has the turning circle of the QE2 and the pace of a rowing boat. Often appears off balance. Average strength.

Technical:- poor, has a bad first touch and often had no idea as to what he's going to do with the ball. His passing in particular is bad.

Attitude:- looks a good lad, team player, and the things he does off the pitch are top notch.

all in all I think he's out of his depth, I feel these injuries (two cruciates) have left him a shell of a player who is picking up his retirement package.

A bit strong, his technical limitations had been clearly identified...

I think it's possible the first question moyes asks most of his scouts.

"Eye, you've told me all about his ability as a striker, 50 goals in 20 games tells me that, but what is he like on the right wing?!"

Acknowledged the fact that he was bought for his performances in one position and jammed into the Right wing Moyes posiition

His composure on the ball is absolutely shocking, it's like a hot potatoe. We may as well have kept Straq if all we are getting in positives is work rate - cos that lad was phenomenal.

Its a real pity that he's not great because he is a bloke who you genuinely feel totally appreciates the position that he is in - he gives alot back and he's a clubman - he is a team player. The sad reality is that it's a results business, and I find it very hard to see a premier league player there, His injuries would have slowed down the quickest of players but for me his lack of mobility and sharpness is a major worry, he turns in a way that he's expecting his knee to go again.

Recognised his team work and attitude... still shocking composure....

I think Martinez needs to able to assess all his players first. Even though I don't rate Naismith, I would be concerned if Roberto accepted offers without having had the chance to work with them and see what they've got.

Agreed that we need to see what RM can do with him.

From the kenwright and his fellow shower of bullshitters perspective I'm with you, amateur is a polite way of putting it. I've no time at all for any of those cronies and that includes Robert "absolutely" Elstone too. Their 5 year plan is "how do we survive another 5 years of this"

From Martinez perspective I'm beyond optimistic, I really think we've got ourselves a proper revolutionary Manager. He will bring a style and class to our team that we've been missing for some time. Under Moyes we seen snippets of what some of our players can produce when they are on their game and up to dismantle teams. Unfortunately it wasn't seen enough IMO, and I think moyes safety first approach was the cause of this.

To have a manager who wants his players to go "without fear" is going to be music to the likes of Barkley, Osman, jelavic, Coleman. I think we are going to be in for some initial teething problems in the transition but I think we will see us pulverise some teams with 70% possession, goals, shots on target. Exciting times I think.

NEVER IN DOUBT! That was in July - even though in the naismith thread.

He doesnt appear to have the control and comfort on the ball required for a martinez player. We will see though

Touch and control again....

anyone who watched the game will have seen a player with a first class attitude who works his socks off.

For me the problem is when he has the ball, he lacks the technique and touch to help build attacks. Too many times he gave it away cheaply. Without the ball he was fantastic - hard working, tenacious, and motivating.

He is like a Dirk Kuyt - just not as good. Dirk Kuyt is a player i've often felt we could do with.

Great attitude but poor touch.

His performance was Dennis straq-esuqe, there is a criticism and a compliment all in one there.

And there we have it - he is the scottish Dennis Straq.

I think he is more than that though. His finishing reminds me of that unfashionable kid in school who wasn't a very good player but just knew how to put it past the keeper, there were other lads who would win FA Singles and doubles in the play ground but were useless in an 11 a side game, he is the one who would never get picked for FA doubles but the PE teacher had him up front in inter school matches - and he would score.

His composure seems to have gotten alot better now he has confidence, he is a great lad to have in our squad.

that must have taken a while haf? and i'm not sure what point you're trying to make quoting yourself?

the evolution of my opinion of Naismith - I'm prepared to revisit what I have said about him and review accordingly. Gladly he has shown us something we hadn't seen before.

Plus the accurate forecast of RM's impact.

I think he is our Scottish Chicharito.

His overall ability is limited and his passing and touch leave something to be desired and if he was relied upon to play 90 mins he would end up being frustrating. However, his finishing is excellent, he doesnt stop moving and he has that ability to pop up at the right place and at the right time.

the evolution of my opinion of Naismith - I'm prepared to revisit what I have said about him and review accordingly. Gladly he has shown us something we hadn't seen before.

Plus the accurate forecast of RM's impact.

ah fair enough thought it was just a brag about you bein right about him all along...to be fair i didn't read it proper :P

and romey agreed i've always wanted him in the middle..nowhere near a good enough prem winger

Always said he should only be played as a forward player. Knows where to be at the right time and can put the ball in the back of the net. In fact, I honestly believe he's the best finisher at the club. His goal yesterday was taken so coolly.

True....and you just knew he was going to score it from the moment it became obvious he was going to intercept. Very reliable finisher.

I found it very interesting how he said he waited for the villa keeper to plant his feet before picking his spot when he got the equaliser. Every time he gets put through he seems to be very calm and doesn't blast it.

That's what I mean, give him a chance like he had against Villa and he will score. He intercepted against Swansea and there was no panic on his face. As soon as the ball left his feet he knew it went in and started celebrating.

I do think he is a hard worker and do believe he should be left in the strikers position but he won't get ahead of Lukaku or Traore, unfortunately. Even though I think if you gave Lukaku those two chances he would have fluffed them the way he is playing.

Guest blueboy122

I have previously slated Naismith and said he isn't good enough for the bench etc.

What a turn around now I think he is a very useful player and a player that could fire us into a possible CL place... Maybe.

His attitude is first class as is his work ethic and his finishing is superb.

I would rather play him than any of our other strikers to be honest.

He fits our system so much better than he other two lumps granted Traore has only had one game.

Guest blueboy122

I actually think he wins a lot of headers. Surprisingly many when you consider his height

Another great point.

He should give our 6ft 3 inch 'wonder kid' a lesson on heading

Guest blueboy122

Always said he should only be played as a forward player. Knows where to be at the right time and can put the ball in the back of the net. In fact, I honestly believe he's the best finisher at the club. His goal yesterday was taken so coolly.

Got to agree. No way should he be in anywhere near the wings.

He plays in between the oppositions midfield and defence which is a pain in the arse for the opposition and then plays off the shoulder when needed.