IGNORED

What's up with jelly?

Mogsy

Why do we think jelevic is misfiring so much this season compared to last season, is moyes playing him to deep, are we hoofing the ball up to him to much, instead of playing it into him low as he thrives on one touch chances? What has changed??

Strikers need a rest. We don't have the squad to rotate.

s

Why do we think jelevic is misfiring so much this season compared to last season, is moyes playing him to deep, are we hoofing the ball up to him to much, instead of playing it into him low as he thrives on one touch chances? What has changed??

service to him has changed. Hes having to work, whereas when he came everything arrived at his feet, so he didnt need to think nor make an effort, meaning he was fresh to get 1-2 yard burst at the last second. Hes also marked much closer I think.... Edited by Matt

no excuses for the terrible miss from the assist by Anichebe - missed the whole ball completely - eventually the penny dropped - subbed -

rotation ? where is Velios? - put out of rotation by Mr Moyes - ended up playing Mirallas out of position as striker after a long layof - instead of Velios -

back to the drawing board i am afraid

More important question is:

Whats going on with Osman and Pienaar... If they deliver, Jelly will deliver. He isnt getting the chances, its effected his confidence. When he does get the chances the confidence gets in the way. That was clear when Anichebe handed him a goal on a silver platter and he fucked it up. I think even Naismith would have scored there.

sservice to him has changed. Hes having to work, whereas when he came everything arrived at his feet, so he didnt need to think nor make an effort, meaning he was fresh to get 1-2 yard burst at the last second. Hes also marked much closer I think....

This IMO. I also think he's coming far too deep, mainly because of Felli's work rate i think, Felli isnt one to track back 20 yards and stick a foot in...Jelly seems to do a lot more closing down and chasing nothing balls, which IMO should be shared between him and felli, but felli likes the ball to be played into him, he wont do the dirty work as much as jelly.

It's not just about Jelavic.

We are empty in the middle, and need to fuck off this idea of playing off the striker, and instead bolster midfield.

Naismith, and Osman were shite tonight, and Pienaar wasn't much better. Our movement off the ball is also unenthusiastic, and lethargic. What pisses me off most is when the seconds are counting down, and they are arguing over who takes the throw in.

This IMO. I also think he's coming far too deep, mainly because of Felli's work rate i think, Felli isnt one to track back 20 yards and stick a foot in...Jelly seems to do a lot more closing down and chasing nothing balls, which IMO should be shared between him and felli, but felli likes the ball to be played into him, he wont do the dirty work as much as jelly.

Felli played a large part of tonights game in midfield with Osman behind Jelavic, imo the problem lies with Pienaar and the fact he seems to be half the player he was at the beginning of the season and also that i think the partnership between him and Baines has been worked out by the other teams in the league, Baines can still offer a bit more overall, whereas Pienaar just looks lost at the moment imo, and as Avin said our midfield area needs some serious attention, it's lacking big time.

It's not just about Jelavic.

We are empty in the middle, and need to fuck off this idea of playing off the striker, and instead bolster midfield.

Naismith, and Osman were shite tonight, and Pienaar wasn't much better. Our movement off the ball is also unenthusiastic, and lethargic. What pisses me off most is when the seconds are counting down, and they are arguing over who takes the throw in.

Spot on. No strength in midfield. No-one to break up play and either run with the ball or play the ball forward. Too content to pass it back & sideways meaning the defence is set and Jelavic is marked. When we show a bit of ambition with the ball we will create chances and Jelavic will take them. He got it wrong today, but he doesnt look the type of player to sulk.

Respectivally thats got fuck all to do with fitness

It's got a lot to do with opportunities to score though.

I suggest strikers need rotating to keep fit / sharp etc, and you counter it by comparing Jelly to possibly the worlds in form striker, playing for one of the worlds top teams. There will always be exceptions to the rule. I recently read about managers feeling that strikers are sent on to the pitch to give 100% effort, but their peak doing so lasts for about 5 games before they need rest.

Felli playing too far forward. Ossie playing too deep. Peanuts playing too central, Naismith playing in England. And the defence won't pass to neville because he loses possesion so we end up with this horredous long ball stuff. He can't score if nobody gives him the ball in the right place. shaking%20fist.png

Pretty accurate. Doesn't help that we've not been able to rotate. Definitely think the Christmas schedule is catching up with us right now, just don't have the extra yard that we had back in Oct/Nov.

Also think playing Neville in mid is completely unnecessary against all but, maybe the top sides. Hitz is a much better option in there. Sit him alongside Fellaini in the centre with Osman/Mirallas/Pienaar rotating through the wings and behind the striker. The sooner we get someone with a bit more passing range in the middle of teh park, the sooner we can cut out the non-stop route 1 bombs.

Vic has to start the next game or two and I'll join the perhaps premature chorus calling for Vellios to be given another shout. Jelly needs a rest and to be brought on once teams are battered from the two big lads so he can pick off a few and build his confidence back up. Vellios and Vic may not have the technique and finishing of Jelly, but he's not doing it right now and neither of those two are going to cost us anything defensively and both can hold the ball up more than competently to bring in the midfield.

Agree with a lot of what is being said here, he is not a player who can handle high balls to him all day.

Is it just me or is he spending much too much time running the channels too? Whatever his strengths are, being stuck out wide against a full back isn't high up the list (Assist for Vic against Newcastle aside)

Really think having Kev back could help Jelly though, seemed to strike up a decent relationship at the start of this season

Vic has certainly earned his spot this season, not his biggest fan before but hes won me over. Only concern is Vic and Felli up front together will just turn into long ball central, midfield won't even be looked at.

Lot of good constructive stuff on this subject.

Go away you 'Jelly's crap' people. Players just don't turn crap overnight you titheads. This is all about lack of service and the fact that Fellaini plays too far forward attracting high balls from defenders who often have no other option because the midfielders are hiding. Watch how many times a midfielder will not move into a space where the ball-carrier can see him. Defenders then hoof it and midfielders who have the ball are forced into holding it too long and running into trouble (ie Naismith, Peanuts and Osman).

Fellaini won't work enough except for himself and since about October has done f-all because he is so tightly marked......a one-trick pony! Did we miss him when he was banned? Arguably we played the best football of the season at that time.

Moyes must get midfield to play for the team and move around FFS. Get midfield up the park doing what they are supposed to do, give the ball-carrier options and allow the forwards to get some ball. And allow Jelly and Anichebe to be poachers and/or goalscorers and not have to run their arses off (a la Moyes' workhorses) out on the wings to get a touch of the ball!

Its just the lack of rotation. We are in a bit of a slump, as is Jelavic, but we dont have the squad to give many players a rest. The best we have played all season was probably away at Villa, and the only change id make from that starting XI is Naismith out, Mirallas in.

Jelavic can play perfectly fine with Fellaini behind him, as he can with Osman behind him. The difference is if we have Fellaini up there he scores goal, Osman doesnt. Id rather have one front player scoring rather than none.

In the meantime i'd start Anichebe upfront for a few games, take Jelavic out of the firing line to get fresh. Then throw him back in the deep end if Anichebe isnt scoring goals.

Didn't Jelavic have another poor game today from what I can ascertain, in that Moyes brought him off for the last 10 minutes and brought on Heitinga, who ultimately won us the game today. Certainly not the player from end of last season, but there's every chance he could find form again and go on another run again in April and May and come good again ? All I know is, today represented another poor game for the Croat, and just can't find his boots again. It's a shame because people were really excited at the end of last campaign, thought we had something special on our hands, but seems it was all a flash in the pan. There's still opportunity for himself to get back in the goals again, but it has been disappointing this time around.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Moyes has the guts to try something new against Man Utd. (Like he did in the first game when he pushed up Felli)

We cant do it again. Man U will be ready for it. They will be expecting Felli up front as he did such a number on them last time.

I want to see a 442 diamond. That would be really surprising and very aggressive. Cant have them coming at us. I want Jelly on the pitch for this game. He will be inspired after sitting on the bench for two games.

................Howard..................

Neville...Jags...Distin...Baines

................Gibson...................

Mirallas......................Pienaar

..................Felli.....................

..........Jelavic.....Anichebe......

Or

................Howard..................

Neville...Jags...Distin...Baines

................Fellaini...................

Mirallas......................Pienaar

..................Osman.................

..........Jelavic.....Anichebe......