IGNORED

Antolín Alcaraz

or be patient with his progress until he's truly ready ?

He's very highly rated by other clubs and managers by all accounts so could probably go somewhere else and get a first team spot. Also, what are the alternatives? a want-away dutch CB who is either solid or just bloody awful, hoofball Jags, an aging Distin or it seems an injury prone Paraguayan CB who has just been relegated and is also not really the age we want to be looking at.

He's very highly rated by other clubs and managers by all accounts so could probably go somewhere else and get a first team spot. Also, what are the alternatives? a want-away dutch CB who is either solid or just bloody awful, hoofball Jags, an aging Distin or it seems an injury prone Paraguayan CB who has just been relegated and is also not really the age we want to be looking at.

We have one of the best defensive records in the Prem, yet our clean sheets were few and far between.

From Duff's angle, yeah, play him, why not? I guess from the clubs angle, it's why remove Distin or Jags from the starting line up if it's working out ok? Is he 'better' than those defenders to a point that he should start ahead of them?

As fans, we can't answer that, but as a trainer / coach, who's job it is to watch each player very closely, they can. He might get a starting spot with other teams, but that's not very relevant as to whether he is going to get a starting spot here.

He's only 21, so it's not like he is at a career crossroads. Eventually his chance will come, but I don't think us signing Alcaraz will affect that. We need numbers.

We have one of the best defensive records in the Prem, yet our clean sheets were few and far between.

From Duff's angle, yeah, play him, why not? I guess from the clubs angle, it's why remove Distin or Jags from the starting line up if it's working out ok? Is he 'better' than those defenders to a point that he should start ahead of them?

As fans, we can't answer that, but as a trainer / coach, who's job it is to watch each player very closely, they can. He might get a starting spot with other teams, but that's not very relevant as to whether he is going to get a starting spot here.

He's only 21, so it's not like he is at a career crossroads. Eventually his chance will come, but I don't think us signing Alcaraz will affect that. We need numbers.

It will all come down to how Martinez lines the team up tbh. Id just like to see him get a chance of a run in the team ahead of Heitinga and (potentially) Alcaraz,, people are also forgetting about Stones and the fact that Martinez is a big fan and tried to take him to the DW.

Yes we do need numbers Av, but imo those numbers are in other areas until Heitinga actually leaves or stops whinging.

Bringing in another 30 year old defender is not my idea of 'A new way forward'

Edited by Simon

simple fact is that Heits is not good enough and we need to replace him. Alcaraz on a free makes sense.

And stop saying Jags is the hoofball CB when the so called ball playing CB heits think he is david beckham and can play those long diagonl balls which very rarely reach the target. Thats just the same, at least jags can clear his lines.

Jags is our best CB by a mile, and simple fact is he is one of the best in the country.

We need another decent Cb and a cannot think of anyone available that we could go for?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want us too look at CB's at the moment, other positions are more important imo. Anyway Heitinga may stay now there is a new manager, it's a different set of ideas now and he might see it as a chance to get back in the team. It was very difficult for him last season, following on from a player of the season award, with limited appearances was always going to be difficult, he always looked as though he was trying too hard to impress last season.

I don't want us too look at CB's at the moment, other positions are more important imo. Anyway Heitinga may stay now there is a new manager, it's a different set of ideas now and he might see it as a chance to get back in the team. It was very difficult for him last season, following on from a player of the season award, with limited appearances was always going to be difficult, he always looked as though he was trying too hard to impress last season.

If you read the strategy article posted today in the general discussion area, you'll understand more why Alcaraz would be a solid acquisition.

In business, companies succeed by formulating a winning strategy and then making all decisions consistent with that strategy. It has to be the same in football, right? Once your strategy is in place, all in and out transfers, all loans, all training drills, all preparation games, all team selections, all game reviews, etc. must be consistent with your strategy. Once you drift from it, you lose focus. Issues such as average team age, transfer fees, fan perceptions, and player strengths and weaknesses, while important, should always be secondary considerations. A well-considered and consistent strategy is what matters most.

I don't think He's implying that Ten if it was the case it would purely free up money to go to or towards another player whether that be at lower rate or higher.

The situation with Pedersen means nothing and has no relevance to potential transfers and players what so ever....

Edited by EFC-Paul

I know what your saying but you can't work off that logic there's far to many factors to take into account even the money recouped from a sale of a player to the new one or if on a free then agent fee's and so on.

Then we could have more money set aside to put to any other potential players wages and so on, Your never going to run a club on ridgid one dimensional logic like that.

Edited by EFC-Paul

If we can bring in a better defender than Hietinga (based on last seasons form he cant be any worse) for free who is on a quarter of the Johnny's wage then sell Heitinga to free up transfer funds then its a no brainer for me

This is the same Heitinga that a large section of Blues fans voted player of the season not 2 years ago. He was limited to few chances last season because Daveys top boy(Jags) was fit again and Heits just lost his place. I actually think his game maybe more suited towards Martinez style of play, id like to see him stay till at least January and see how it goes for him, Heitinga does have something to offer imo.

I know what your saying but you can't work off that logic there's far to many factors to take into account even the money recouped from a sale of a player to the new one or if on a free then agent fee's and so on.

Then we could have more money set aside to put to any other potential players wages and so on, Your never going to run a club on ridgid one dimensional logic like that.

Can you use the quote facility Paul, as don't know who you're replying too sometimes. :)