IGNORED

Antolín Alcaraz

It looked like a butt to me lol.

There's no back lift at all.....he just nods his head into him. Try it yourself, see how much power you can get into your head moving forward by nodding. Answer is virtually zero; a butt is when you pull your head back and use your neck muscles to propel your head forward.

Said it at the time and I stick by it, it was minimal contact (stupid though and he deserved the punishment) that Shawcross made a big deal of.

There's no back lift at all.....he just nods his head into him. Try it yourself, see how much power you can get into your head moving forward by nodding. Answer is virtually zero; a butt is when you pull your head back and use your neck muscles to propel your head forward.

Said it at the time and I stick by it, it was minimal contact (stupid though and he deserved the punishment) that Shawcross made a big deal of.

I wouldn't want a butt of a guy who heads balls for a living lol. Strictly speaking, only Ryan knows how much it hurt. My point was that he just got on with the game afterwards. He's entitled to go to ground like all players do if butted, but it was hardly a Kyle Lafferty scenario to be fair to him.

Edit: It's also in slow-mo on that vid. In real life it was a lot quicker. A knock in the temple or eye socket etc will put anybody down.

Edited by Avinalaff

I would rather any unknown defender who's young and reasonably good or promote from our youth team than hage any of these names being suggestioned. Alcaraz is too old and we already have an old and ageing team with ours being the second oldest behind Fulham. The age of our squad needs to be toned down by buying or bringing in younger players instead of buying old players.

I agree, sell Heitinga for money that we will unlikely be able to demand next year (he won't sign contract), invest in the squad. Looking at Alcaraz does anyone actually know if he is a bad player??? Seriously - does anyone watch a wigan game and think let's have a look at Alcaraz here, is he any good??? You can't just judge a player by his teams defensive record - you rely on them working well as a unit, and if that unit has suffered injuries then they will concede.

My opinion is that many fans will look for 'names' and not actually have an informed opinion. Its the same annoying thing we here when people will say "Darron Gibson, he's garbage, he hits them into row Z from 40 yards, thats about it" - they have no awareness that he is very intelligent, makes space, creates a good tempo, has a great range of passing, then when you ask who they support its Liverpool...

Wigan were a better team with him in the side and he was their best defender (doesnt say a massive amount I know). He is fairly quick, good technique on the ball and reads the game well.I think he was best playing through the centre of a 3 man defence.

There are good and bad points on both sides.

McCarthey - Arguably is the better at defending. He had more blocks, clearances than Fellaini this season.

Fellaini - better at attack and when the ball is forward is good at passing. Felli played well this season. McCarthey is a bit like Gibbo I think good passer.

We will see what happens anyway, if McCarthey came to Everton I would welcome him anyway :-)

Fellaini is by far the better of the two defensively and he isnt a better passer in forward positions. Dont forget the stats will be skewed as Felli played off the striker for at least 50% of his games this season.

He used to play for my local side Beira-Mar, so potentially he will play for the two teams I support! It will be the first and quite possibly last time ever that that will happen :lol:

Anyway he was possibly our best player at the time in the Portuguese top flight, and I would be quite happy to have him at Everton. He's 30 already but then again Distin was old too when he joined, and he would be arriving on a free. Give me Alcaraz over this season's Heitinga any day of the week.

Done a bit of reading up on him, very good player. Likes to pass the ball out of defence, has pace, good in the tackle, good in the air and reads the game well.

Quite happy about this one. Probably wont get the panini sticker card fans happy but I think he has a good list of attributes and was considered wigans best defender.

Done a bit of reading up on him, very good player. Likes to pass the ball out of defence, has pace, good in the tackle, good in the air and reads the game well.

Quite happy about this one. Probably wont get the panini sticker card fans happy but I think he has a good list of attributes and was considered wigans best defender.

Lol Sounded quite promising until the last bit!

I think this one is going to happen...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-transfers-antolin-alcaraz-set-1946244

I'll judge him when he's pulled the royal blue jersey on as judging anyone who has had to play alongside a Caldwell is unfair!

Would be an uninspiring signing, but I can see the logic. He'd provide us with some options.

1. If we don't sell any of our other defenders, we could afford to get Duffy a season long loan so he can return next year with a full season of first team football at 22 years old. Should be well equipped to make it into the first team if he has the talent then, he could then replace Heitinga who's contract will be up. Meanwhile we play Distin and Jagielka and have one of Heitinga or Alcaraz on the bench.

2. If Martinez opts to play with 3 centre backs, we'll need more than just the 3+1 first teamers we have now (Jagielka, Distin, Heitinga + Duffy).

3. He could allow us to sell Heitinga. We'd get some money for Heitinga and save his 60k a week. I can't imagine Alcaraz would be on much more than 30k (plus a signing fee) so he would save us some money we can spend elsewhere. Heitinga also got exposed a couple of times against strong (Cole, Benteke) and fast (Koné, Benteke) players, Alcaraz would supposedly be an improvement in confrontations against the strong strikers.

Interesting to see what Wigan fans were saying about Alcaraz in March when he was voted their Player of the Month.

http://www.pieeatersfootie.com/2013/4/9/4196452/wigan-athletics-player-of-march-antolin-alcaraz

You voted and the man who so far has changed our season in the four games he has played came out on top. It looked like the Paraguayan defender Antolin Alcaraz would miss the entire season, but his return in the second half of the Liverpool game has sparked a four game unbeaten run.

Antoilin Alcaraz featured in all four of the games in March. His return against Liverpool was timely and he stopped the flow of goal as we held out for a 4-0 defeat. Then in the next three matches of March he started all three and helped the team to conceding a single goal against Newcastle United.

The man has been an inspiration, making last ditch tackles and vital game winning interceptions. It shows how much we have missed the player with how well he has performed in recent months, had this man been fit all season, we may not be where we are now.

Mix that with his possible partnership with Ivan Ramis and we could have had a brilliant defensive line up. The two of them would be a defensive partnership that we have been crying out for in recent years, and I hope the club see that and will get Alcaraz tied down to a new long term deal.

If anyone deserves a new deal, it is this man. He helped the side to a 1-1 draw at the weekend, as he was vital in controlling a QPR side that was quick to break on our defence.

Alcaraz is a deserving winner of March’s award, and I hope he can continue his fantastic form right to the end of this season, and help the team lift the FA Cup and gain Premier League survival.