IGNORED

Antolín Alcaraz

I've been surprised. Thought it was a very 'meh' signing. Already showed that when fit, can be a capable stand-in.

To pat myself on the back I looked at Wigans defensive record with and without him - it was night and day difference. I was confident he would enable us to sell Heitinga,

To pat myself on the back I looked at Wigans defensive record with and without him - it was night and day difference. I was confident he would enable us to sell Heitinga,

I think the fans summed it up, "with Alcaraz, we wouldn't have been relegated". That's quite a statement.

He isn't a world beater, but a strong defender for our bench.

You don't even need to look at the stats, if you watched any of the games he played for Wigan he really stood out.

I imagine the people who thought he was going to be a waste of money either didn't watch him play or thought he must be shit because he played for Wigan... Same as Kone I guess.

You don't even need to look at the stats, if you watched any of the games he played for Wigan he really stood out.

I imagine the people who thought he was going to be a waste of money either didn't watch him play or thought he must be shit because he played for Wigan... Same as Kone I guess.

Hard to be a waste of money when he was on a free :P.

I think the fans summed it up, "with Alcaraz, we wouldn't have been relegated". That's quite a statement.

He isn't a world beater, but a strong defender for our bench.

I definitely believe that Wigan wouldn't have been relegated if Alcaraz and Ramis had been fit for the majority of the season. I think Ramis turned down West Ham and probably higher wages just to work with Martinez, but ended up missing most of the season. Hopefully Alcaraz stays fit following this latest set back

• 4 weeks later...

Good defender but I wish we'd just cancel his contract. Absolute waste of time having him here.

Agreed. What a waste of a position. Some of our players are unfortunately like that , with Gibson being the other.

It's a shame but I can't help but think it's modern training techniques.

From what I have read (including a horrible study on rabbits) it sounds like it is more or a precautionary matter to make sure he doesnt suffer from further tears/strains and be out for longer. Like Patto says, at Wigan he had a lot of groin and hamstring problems and in that respect he is like Rodwell in that he just cant get fit.

I also found an interesting article on last season regarding injuries which might be worth a look if you're bored!

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/2012_13/injury_analysis.php

There was a 3 year period where he played about 40 gamers per year... Two for Club Brugge and his first year at Wigan. The past three years, he's had some injury problems. I don't know, I think while he'll never be able to put in 40 games again, this may get better. We'll see. Shame because he's a good defender, but if he can't stay fit and Duffy is deemed not good enough, then we might have to go bring in another centerback.

Edited by Quinn31

He certainly looks to be a good defender when he can stay healthy, but we are striving for champions league football. We don't need good 31 year old centerbacks, we need great ones.

And to be honest, he was absolute shite against the Reds...got beat for pace badly on the Suarez goal. Good squad rotation player, but if Duffy doesn't pan out, RM has got to sign a first team quality, superb centerback. Distin and Jags are fantastic, but both are 36 and 31, respectively. I imagine Stones is our CB of the future, but we need another without a doubt.

And to be honest, he was absolute shite against the Reds...got beat for pace badly on the Suarez goal. Good squad rotation player, but if Duffy doesn't pan out, RM has got to sign a first team quality, superb centerback. Distin and Jags are fantastic, but both are 36 and 31, respectively. I imagine Stones is our CB of the future, but we need another without a doubt.

I dont think many PL defenders would have caught him in that situation. Cant blame Alcaraz for Jags fucking up. He did get caught out on a couple of other occasion, mainly by Sterling, which again isnt a surprise if he is allowed 1 vs 1.

We will need another one in for the future though because as you say, we have 3 30+ year olds at the back and while I wouldnt call any of them slow, Distin is the only one who still has that extra yard of pace. We have Stones in place which is encouraging and he is pretty quick so I think we need to look for another younger player this summer to fill in. I cant see Distin playing on after next season and Alcaraz will more than likely move on at the end of his contract.

I know Alcaraz hasnt had much time on the pitch but he has come in and done well (for the most part!) when we needed him so far this season. I can imagine that he was an important player for Martinez to bring in as he already knew what to do and he could help the other CB's adjust to their new roles. I hope he comes back properly this time and stays fit for the remainder of his contract because I think he has a lot to give.

I don't understand the fuss!

1) Alcaraz is an excellent defender that we got on the cheap and whose salary is reasonable.

2) He's a backup defender, not a starter, so there's no harm done if he's unavailable sometimes.

3) He's out just for a week or so, not long-term.

So where's the problem? As long as he's available when we need him, that's all that matters. Rather that he be unavailable when the starters are fit and available when the starters are out. Who really cares that he's missing a week or so when both Jagielka and Distin are playing?

Edited by Cornish Steve

I don't understand the fuss!

1) Alcaraz is an excellent defender that we got on the cheap and whose salary is reasonable.

2) He's a backup defender, not a starter, so there's no harm done if he's unavailable sometimes.

3) He's out just for a week or so, not long-term.

So where's the problem? As long as he's available when we need him, that's all that matters. Rather that he be unavailable when the starters are fit and available when the starters are out. Who really cares that he's missing a week or so when both Jagielka and Distin are playing?

what is it out of curiosity? I never even saw a rumour or it.

Otherwise I agree.

Isn't the whole point of being a back up player is that when you're needed to back up that you are actually able to, erm, back up?!

Say Jags or Distin are out for months at a time, Alcaraz is going to be a useless back up player when he can just about manage 90 minutes before being injured and out for weeks himself!

I like him as a player, and was actually pleased when we signed him, but, fuck me, he looks like a waste of time.

Guest blueboy122

Isn't the whole point of being a back up player is that when you're needed to back up that you are actually able to, erm, back up?!

Say Jags or Distin are out for months at a time, Alcaraz is going to be a useless back up player when he can just about manage 90 minutes before being injured and out for weeks himself!

I like him as a player, and was actually pleased when we signed him, but, fuck me, he looks like a waste of time.

Exactly, there's no point having a player if he isn't going to stay fit, waste of wages to be honest.

Shane Duffy could have slotted in the back up role though surely?

I do like Alcaraz though think he is an excellent ball playing centre half and majorly underrated in the league.

Exactly, there's no point having a player if he isn't going to stay fit, waste of wages to be honest.

Shane Duffy could have slotted in the back up role though surely?

I do like Alcaraz though think he is an excellent ball playing centre half and majorly underrated in the league.

shane duffy is playing for relegation bound championship side yeovil town. and he's not doing that well for them, he had a terrible match and the coach called him out in the press and basically blamed the whole game on him. you would rather a guy that can't cut it in the championship over alcaraz (proven premier league and international)?

Edited by markjazzbassist

shane duffy is playing for relegation bound championship side yeovil town. and he's not doing that well for them, he had a terrible match and the coach called him out in the press and basically blamed the whole game on him. you would rather a guy that can't cut it in the championship over alcaraz (proven premier league and international)?

There's a bit of an assumption amongst fans that all young players can cut it at the Premier League level, or should at least be given a go even if they've struggled at a lower level or not impressed in training. As for Duffy, he did well the few times he played for us in 2011-2012, but if he's struggling at Yeovil, not sure I want him playing here, especially given his lack of pace... With us playing high lines, we need pacy defenders.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right in saying that it's now only Lukaku we're missing? He was back in full training this week as well so shouldn't be much longer. Our long term injuries are Kone, Gibson and Oviedo. Looking much more promising on the injury front now. Hopefully we get them all fit and playing well to have a good end to our season.