IGNORED

Antolín Alcaraz

• 6 months later...

So we've obviously got Stones and Jags as 1st choice cb pairing. We're after another cb to buy. Browning is 5th choice cb according to Martinez on the Followtonians interview. There's a missing cb there by my calculations... many won't like this but I have a feeling that Gareth Barry may be used as our 4th choice cb.

So we've obviously got Stones and Jags as 1st choice cb pairing. We're after another cb to buy. Browning is 5th choice cb according to Martinez on the Followtonians interview. There's a missing cb there by my calculations... many won't like this but I have a feeling that Gareth Barry may be used as our 4th choice cb.

Youth will get a chance under Roberto though, eh C? ;) Doesn't sound like you have that much confidence in that statement either!

Youth will get a chance under Roberto though, eh C? ;) Doesn't sound like you have that much confidence in that statement either!

I do, the youths have to be good enough first though e.g Stones, Barkley and Garbutt. A position like centre back especially. I'm not supporting the idea of Barry being used as a cb, it's just what I see happening.

I do, the youths have to be good enough first though e.g Stones, Barkley and Garbutt. A position like centre back especially. I'm not supporting the idea of Barry being used as a cb, it's just what I see happening.

If Browning's good enough to be any sort of choice then he should be ahead of a defensive midfielder in his own position.

If Browning's good enough to be any sort of choice then he should be ahead of a defensive midfielder in his own position.

Hopefully he will be eventually... put it like this, imagine it's us in the FA Cup final on Saturday vs Arsenal and our only options to partner Stones are Barry or Browning, who do you go for? It'd be Barry 100% for me.

Hopefully he will be eventually... put it like this, imagine it's us in the FA Cup final on Saturday vs Arsenal and our only options to partner Stones are Barry or Browning, who do you go for? It'd be Barry 100% for me.

Besic would be a better option than Barry. CB is the position he's more used to, after all.

Besic would be a better option than Barry. CB is the position he's more used to, after all.

I'd be more comfortable with Barry there over Besic - I'm not entirely convinced by Besic yet. I can see he'll be an asset and hope he'll step up after a good pre-season.

I'd be more comfortable with Barry there over Besic - I'm not entirely convinced by Besic yet. I can see he'll be an asset and hope he'll step up after a good pre-season.

Barry is a player we should be using less, not looking for ways to use him more. If youth is something that Martinez really wants to utilise then it shouldn't even be in question.

Browning for me. You need speed against Arsenal, Barry sitting in front of the 2 makes more sense.

So, we are after a quality, left sided cb are we? How long before Lescott gets a mention?

Should have been a no brainer over Distin and Alcaraz last summer in my opinion.

Edit... Wouldn't pay a fee for him now though.

Edited by c1982

• 5 weeks later...

Funny isn't it. The lad cost zilch, was on about £15-20k a week but gets some stick. The irony is that on the majority of the games he played he was a very useful and tidy player. If course it will be the Kiev game that will get remembered.

It's not like he was Andy van Der meyde.

Be interresting to see our current fans view retrospectively looking at a mark Higgins, Kevin Richardson or Alan Harper.