IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

Not sure whether it belongs here or in another thread, but there seems to be a lot more managers making moves at the end of this season than I remember before.

Everton, Man U, Citeh, Stoke, Chelsea

Bayern

Napoli

Real, Malaga, Valencia

Walter Zenga been sacked from one of the bigger jobs in UAE as well

Mostly pretty big jobs on the face of it, and I'm sure there's more that I've missed. Lots going on on the managerial merry go round.

Edited by doc_bump

Rangnick has denied he is interested in the job. He says it's newspapers making rumours up.

Good. I didn't like the thought of having a manager who could turn round in 6 months and say he's too tired for the job.

Still looking like the new manager will be announced tomorrow?

No idea.. I think that's twitter rumours to be honest.

People say he'll be unveiled at 10am on Monday. Bill Kenwright will have arranged for a veil to be thrown over him and he will pull it away in front of the press during the unveiling.

If its gonna be Martinez (I've lost a bet on Rangnickeister & on Perieriairieiria) but I think I'd rather Martinez + Neville or + Dunc, for some passion

I think that is the best possible answer. We need someone who can get fired up and we all know the likes of Neville or Dunc can, even Weir. I would like either Neville or Weir as assistant though as both defenders and that is where Martinez was weak at Wigan.

People keep saying that Martinez was weak in defense but I never saw him on the pitch. He can only be as good as his players. Yes he can adopt a tactic that will help the defenders but at what cost? No goals going forward? If Wigan had top players in defense that never made any errors, people on here would salute his tactical genius defensively.

Imo, Martinez will take Everton to the next level.

People keep saying that Martinez was weak in defense but I never saw him on the pitch. He can only be as good as his players. Yes he can adopt a tactic that will help the defenders but at what cost? No goals going forward? If Wigan had top players in defense that never made any errors, people on here would salute his tactical genius defensively.

Imo, Martinez will take Everton to the next level.

The fact of the matter is Martinez had 4 years to address the problem at Wigan and never managed it so I think people are right to be concerned

Harry Redknapp made a good coment, he said he wasn't a tactical genius - he got the best players he could get and the better the players, the better the team could play. Get the best players out there, motivate them and they play well. Let them worry about playing and they will often do a good job.

Martinez has had possibly the worst defenders (with injuries etc) for the latter part of the season. You can't get a defence to perform well if you have no good defenders fit. You can't get good defenders if you don't pay 'good defenders wages'. Martinez will inherit international class £50k a week defenders at Goodison, he won't be stuck with Wigan squad players on £10k a week. Big difference.

Martinez I believe is a mixture of all the best qualities you want in a a manager. He is tactically astute, is bold and attack minded, lets his players play with no fear, holds himself accountable for his team, has an eye for a player and brings out the best in them.

I really do think that the future will be bright under Martinez. We won't be getting the last 5 minutes of MOTD, we will be attracting admiring glances from the footballing world, will this even put us in the spotlight for investors??? Certainly attacking, pressing football will help.

Prior to this season, I would have thrown Di Matteo in the ring to be a strong contender after his FA Cup and Champions League double in his brief time at Chelsea, although he currently stands as a rank outsider. The only concern may be his failure to hold on to a job for a significant period of time, fairly or unfairly, with the Everton Board looking for a manager to emulate Moyes undoubted loyalty. Porto boss Vito Pereria has some cracking credentials, delivering the Portuguese title to the expectant ‘Dragons’ this season without losing a game. If appointed, he could have a similar impact to the last two Porto managers to venture into England, Mourinho and Villas-Boas, who have both proven that they have a rightful place in the Premier League. But with no Premier League experience, Pereria will probably be regarded as too high risk at this present time because of the high expectations set by Moyes.

Yet Martinez has rightly emerged odds on favourite and the triumph over Manchester City this season in the FA Cup final will have only strengthened his chances of impressing Bill Kenwright and co. His ability to surpass expectations year on year by avoiding relegation with an ordinary looking Wigan side, whilst playing some stylish keep-ball football in the process was admirable. Although he failed to keep the Lactics up in his fourth season in charge, with the clubs first FA Cup firmly placed in the trophy cabinet, Martinez proved he can install belief into his players no matter who the opposition may be. This leadership trait is essential for Everton to continue to compete for the European places, with Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool, all likely to be spending big this summer. In the likelihood of the knowledgeable Spaniard’s arrival, what will Everton get under his guidance?

Firstly Martinez will probably adopt the 3-4-3 formation, using Baines and Coleman in the wing back positions and bringing Pienaar infield to play a similar role to Maloney. Heitinga is likely to force a move out of the club with just 12 months remaining on his contract, therefore recruitment in the centre back area is essential. His wisdom of world football, in particular the Spanish market may be exploited early on in the transfer window.

Secondly the former Swansea manager his excelled at bringing the best out of his players, more noticeably with some of the young British players, McArthur, McCarthy and more recently, hot prospect McManaman. The three ‘Mc’s’ would have been devastated to have been relegated after progressing significantly in the last few years, but their importance to Wigan highlights Martinez’s development skills, which will only help the likes of Ross Barkley and John Stones.

Finally Martinez has proven his ability to invest money he’s acquired from transfers wisely, with a net transfer income of around £11million profit at Wigan. After selling Antonio Valencia to Manchester United for £16million in 2009, the money was invested on a number of players including, Caldwell, McCarthy, Diame, Gomez and Moses, all key figures at the club for no more than £5million.

If the Spaniard impresses in his second interview, given time he could be the change that Everton need to potentially drive the club to new heights. If you asked the Everton faithful would they take a top half finish and a trophy next season, I’m sure many hands would be falling on the floor with teeth marks in the middle. Trophies must be targeted to win over the fans. Martinez has the shiny new medal to show he’s the man for the job.

@morgie247

Edited by @morgie247

The fact of the matter is Martinez had 4 years to address the problem at Wigan and never managed it so I think people are right to be concerned

I believe the same question could be asked of Moyes in terms of goals scored by his strikers (failure to kick on) despite him having the ability to pay the wages for a better quality player.

He has had limited resources (their wage bill has been shrinking ever since Martinez took over) and more than one problem to solve with those resources though. And he hasn't been helped by injuries to the players he did bring in (Ramis this season, Alcaraz this season and the one before). I honestly like his defensive tactics. Whether the problem is that his players just aren't good enough to fulfil those instructions or that he simply isn't able to instruct them to his players, to teach it to them, I don't know. Honestly though, there's nothing wrong with the way he wants to defend; and lots of teams that just sit back go down each year too. If he comes here, he'll have better players and more resources to fill needs than he did at Wigan, and I think that'll go a long way to solve any defensive qualms he may have had in the past. Just to be sure, maybe we should partner him with someone like Weir or Stubbs so they can help coach the defensive side, drill Martinez' instructions and defensive shape into the team.

I just want to note that German Wunderkind Jürgen Klopp went down with Mainz, he still coached them another year in the 2. Bundesliga before quitting and getting the head coach job at Borussia Dortmund! Yes, one of the biggest sides in Germany appointed a manger who last coached in the second division, so appointing Martinez wouldn't show how "small-time" we are as I've read a couple of times.

I read somewhere that Wigans goals conceded can be attributed greatly to individual error as opposed to the system adopted. In fact...

Defensively, nine teams conceded more shots than the Latics however they suffered from some calamitous mistakes with 17 individual errors leading to goals – the most in the division – plus they gave away more penalties than anyone. Clearly, some of the blame needs to be apportioned to Martinez here for recruiting and persevering with some high risk players of ill repute.

Clearly there is a concern, but I believe that will be addressed with the higher calibre of defender that we have. Martinez has never had the budget to pay the wages for a Distin, Jags, Heitinga. However thats not to say he hasn't been unable to identify a good defender, he signed Ashley Williams for Swansea at a cost of £400k. Swansea are holding out for £12m for him...

No, No, No and No! I don't mind about Martinez, in fact I will welcome him at Goodison and hopes he does us proud. Good manager and I am happy about this. :)

I do not want Callum McManaman, there is a reason he is a everton reject. He hasn't even had a good season, was anybody really up his ar$e until he scored in two FA cups, once against us. Ok he did play well against City but come on Clichy isn't exactly the best LB. If you compare Coleman to McManaman in the City game who came out on top? Coleman came out on top. We have Pienaar, Coleman, Mirallas who can all play on the wings and I do not want us to have to pay 5-10 mil for a person we didn't want in the first place.

I read somewhere that Wigans goals conceded can be attributed greatly to individual error as opposed to the system adopted. In fact...

Defensively, nine teams conceded more shots than the Latics however they suffered from some calamitous mistakes with 17 individual errors leading to goals – the most in the division – plus they gave away more penalties than anyone. Clearly, some of the blame needs to be apportioned to Martinez here for recruiting and persevering with some high risk players of ill repute.

Clearly there is a concern, but I believe that will be addressed with the higher calibre of defender that we have. Martinez has never had the budget to pay the wages for a Distin, Jags, Heitinga. However thats not to say he hasn't been unable to identify a good defender, he signed Ashley Williams for Swansea at a cost of £400k. Swansea are holding out for £12m for him...

I've no concern about the players he'll want to bring in. He's not going to come in and be a dictator. In coordination with our entire scouting network and whoever gets appointed chief scout (Moyes wants our current one, doesn't he?) they'll compile a list of of possible targets. Apparently he's as big a statistical analytics freak as Moyes was, so I'm sure our analysts (or the ones Martinez brings with him) will add something as well. Then he'll have his assistant coaches watch possible targets and he'll watch players himself and then he'll decide who to bring in. We really aren't going to bring shit defenders all of a sudden just because he becomes our new manager.

No, No, No and No! I don't mind about Martinez, in fact I will welcome him at Goodison and hopes he does us proud. Good manager and I am happy about this. :)

I do not want Callum McManaman, there is a reason he is a everton reject. He hasn't even had a good season, was anybody really up his ar$e until he scored in two FA cups, once against us. Ok he did play well against City but come on Clichy isn't exactly the best LB. If you compare Coleman to McManaman in the City game who came out on top? Coleman came out on top. We have Pienaar, Coleman, Mirallas who can all play on the wings and I do not want us to have to pay 5-10 mil for a person we didn't want in the first place.

Baines and Jagielka were Everton rejects.

Would it be the same reason the Baines and Jagielka were Everton rejects?

Haven't seen enough of him to have an informed opinion, however skinning clichy time after time shows he has something about him.

Prior to this season, I would have thrown Di Matteo in the ring to be a strong contender after his FA Cup and Champions League double in his brief time at Chelsea, although he currently stands as a rank outsider. The only concern may be his failure to hold on to a job for a significant period of time, fairly or unfairly, with the Everton Board looking for a manager to emulate Moyes undoubted loyalty. Porto boss Vito Pereria has some cracking credentials, delivering the Portuguese title to the expectant ‘Dragons’ this season without losing a game. If appointed, he could have a similar impact to the last two Porto managers to venture into England, Mourinho and Villas-Boas, who have both proven that they have a rightful place in the Premier League. But with no Premier League experience, Pereria will probably be regarded as too high risk at this present time because of the high expectations set by Moyes.

Yet Martinez has rightly emerged odds on favourite and the triumph over Manchester City this season in the FA Cup final will have only strengthened his chances of impressing Bill Kenwright and co. His ability to surpass expectations year on year by avoiding relegation with an ordinary looking Wigan side, whilst playing some stylish keep-ball football in the process was admirable. Although he failed to keep the Lactics up in his fourth season in charge, with the clubs first FA Cup firmly placed in the trophy cabinet, Martinez proved he can install belief into his players no matter who the opposition may be. This leadership trait is essential for Everton to continue to compete for the European places, with Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool, all likely to be spending big this summer. In the likelihood of the knowledgeable Spaniard’s arrival, what will Everton get under his guidance?

Firstly Martinez will probably adopt the 3-4-3 formation, using Baines and Coleman in the wing back positions and bringing Pienaar infield to play a similar role to Maloney. Heitinga is likely to force a move out of the club with just 12 months remaining on his contract, therefore recruitment in the centre back area is essential. His wisdom of world football, in particular the Spanish market may be exploited early on in the transfer window.

Secondly the former Swansea manager his excelled at bringing the best out of his players, more noticeably with some of the young British players, McArthur, McCarthy and more recently, hot prospect McManaman. The three ‘Mc’s’ would have been devastated to have been relegated after progressing significantly in the last few years, but their importance to Wigan highlights Martinez’s development skills, which will only help the likes of Ross Barkley and John Stones.

Finally Martinez has proven his ability to invest money he’s acquired from transfers wisely, with a net transfer income of around £11million profit at Wigan. After selling Antonio Valencia to Manchester United for £16million in 2009, the money was invested on a number of players including, Caldwell, McCarthy, Diame, Gomez and Moses, all key figures at the club for no more than £5million.

If the Spaniard impresses in his second interview, given time he could be the change that Everton need to potentially drive the club to new heights. If you asked the Everton faithful would they take a top half finish and a trophy next season, I’m sure many hands would be falling on the floor with teeth marks in the middle. Trophies must be targeted to win over the fans. Martinez has the shiny new medal to show he’s the man for the job.

@morgie247

Hello Mrs Martinez and welcome to the forum. :happy:

To me McManaman wouldn't fit into the Everton squad. If we got him then someone on the wing would have to give up the position. Okay Pienaar hasn't played briilliantly this year but he has played good enough to keep his spot and Mirallas is better on the wing than being a striker. I just don't think he would fit in our plans. I would like to see how he does in the championship first.

Callum McManaman is still only 22, so there is a lot of development still to come, although he wouldn't be on the top of my list as new signings.

I'm still against the idea of Martinez taking over. Anybody can win a cup. That's the beauty of cup competitions. We need a league manager, and overall I'm not convinced Martinez 'deserves' the job.

Malky Mckay maybe, Pereira maybe, although I'm not sure he has even been in the genuine frame, and even Neville or Solskjær would sit ok with me, but can't help thinking Martinez is a bit of a desperate move.

Callum McManaman is still only 22, so there is a lot of development still to come, although he wouldn't be on the top of my list as new signings.

I'm still against the idea of Martinez taking over. Anybody can win a cup. That's the beauty of cup competitions. We need a league manager, and overall I'm not convinced Martinez 'deserves' the job.

Malky Mckay maybe, Pereira maybe, although I'm not sure he has even been in the genuine frame, and even Neville or Solskjær would sit ok with me, but can't help thinking Martinez is a bit of a desperate move.

Bit of a rediculous comment to make. "Anybody can win a cup". Say that to the 17 managers in the PL at the moment. Obviously where a nobody as where not an anybody then.

No matter what people say everybody have set there minds on Pereira who has had no experience in the PL. Yeah his record is good, but the set of players he had at his expence. They have sold two of the key players this season. Plus the likes of hulk last season. Lets see how they do next season.

Martinez or Mackay aren't bad shouts - both have done well at their clubs.