IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

Martinez wil not have the bollox to stand up to kenright and so we will sell everything that is not nailed down replace with some average prem players and then say we had no money. I am not going to make predictions but I am nervous of a relegation fight in the next few years. It just shows to me the lack of forsight the club has. Press says martinez is good even though his record is shocking kenright goes he looks cheap lets have him. Umless we pull some amazing deals off this summer OR keep felli and add some decent bargains I fear

Martinez wil not have the bollox to stand up to kenright and so we will sell everything that is not nailed down replace with some average prem players and then say we had no money. I am not going to make predictions but I am nervous of a relegation fight in the next few years. It just shows to me the lack of forsight the club has. Press says martinez is good even though his record is shocking kenright goes he looks cheap lets have him. Umless we pull some amazing deals off this summer OR keep felli and add some decent bargains I fear

You were either pissed or woke up from a really bad dream when you typed this.

Stay calm, Martinez showed in his press conference that he's no push over. You don't have to be an angry jock to handle kenwright. Kenwright is a bit of a clown and near everyone can see through that stuff. Martinez by lookin to bring his own people in has impressed me immensely. He has a plan already in place and Fellaini ain't part of it IMO.

Edited by Hafnia

Really excited by this appointment. It wont be easy by any stretch but I definitely think he has it in him to take us forward.

I dont know about anyone else but I almost feel embarrassed about Kenwright. Whenever he opens his mouth I just think 'ohh Goood' and cover my eyes. He is a passionate Evertonian but I fnid him very cringe worthy at times. I think he has done a good job though and I am glad that he has taken his time to get this right.

I wont be holding my breath over the funding though!

He has a plan already in place and Fellaini ain't part of it IMO.

I'd agree with that. There have been plenty of comments about keeping Baines but none about keeping Fellaini. And it seems that several teams, from home and abroad, are looking to buy. According to the following article, McCarthy would be a statistical improvement over him.

http://thinkfootball.co.uk/archives/10384

:doh:

No sense in lying when saying, was disappointed when first learning of Moyes successor. Can understand any anxiety or frustrations club supporters would have (and still) have when Martinez was the name to take over, as his overall record at WAFC was poor to say the least. Relegation struggles - and an actual relegation - and a poor win to lose games ratio during his tenure. So he won the FA cup. How ? By getting to the sixth round and then beating an Everton side who decided to raise the white flag and fucking give up before the game even started, and then overcoming a mediocre championship side in the semi-finals and then a surprise win over MCFC in the final event, who also played poorly, and thought all they do to, was turn up on the day and take the trophy home. Wigan got a shock win, played well and the opposition had a day to forget. Would Martinez have been brought in, had they not won the FA cup that day ?

Not the choice I would have wanted, but there's no good in crying over spilt milk. We'll give him at least a chance to see what he can produce and even at least, if he shows a bit more attacking emphasis and approach, than Moyes often, boring and mundane strategies, than at least it's something. His "I will get Everton into the champions league" was questionable to say the least, but what was he supposed to tell Kenwright ? "I will get you relegated and lose every game" ? Just thought he could have worded things a bit better there that's all. If we get to champions league soccer in Martinez' first season, or even beyond that, it will be a surprise right now. He's just been brought over from a club he couldn't save from a fucking relegation, but here at least there will be a better caliber of players to work with. Just no-one expect miracles or overnight success.

Disappointed would be the final say, as I thought we could have done better for ourselves, but there's no animosity towards Martinez himself, but it's all about the good of the club. Can only wait and see what next season brings, but still a questionable appointment some will (rightly) feel.

DK seriously look at the job he had to do at Wigan. It's amazing he kept them in the prem as long as he did after slashing the wages by near 25% after taking over from Steve Bruce.

Far too many bold shouts being made on sparse tabloid analysis.

Anyhow why should I care? I'm happy and confident.

His "I will get Everton into the champions league" was questionable to say the least

Martinez has an advanced degree in business, right? One of the attributes of a leader is to set a BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) so everyone on your team strives towards that goal. JF Kennedy did it by stating that men would walk on the moon within ten years, something that many just laughed and scoffed at. But, once the goal was set, everyone knew it and worked towards it, and the goal was met. Playing Champions League football is now the BHAG for Everton. Everything that's done, from style of play to transfer strategy to team selections, will be in support of that goal. Without such a clear target, games are just games. With this target, there's always something to reach for, and it drives teams to improve and work together.

Martinez can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk.

What he said reminded me a bit of what Ramsey said to the media in '66 before England "won" the soccer world cup in that "We can win the World Cup". OK, maybe it's not as big a claim as that or so outrageous, but comparisons were drawn.

Say it again, what was he supposed to tell Kenwright ? "I'm just leaving a club team I couldn't stave off a relegation, we have been consistently poor, I have a poor win/lose/games ratio and have been overall, a disappointment, but hey, I managed a shock FA cup win so now I can be held in the same breath as Paisley, Jock Stein and Clough so I deserve the vacancy and fuck everyone else"

I think Martinez got a little carried away maybe. Sure he was excited at the opportunity but in retrospect, he'll look back on what he said and have his doubts. I don't think we'll get champions league soccer with Martinez, we couldn't even get that with Moyes (take away 2005) so in all probability maybe around about the same as before but a top four place ? Seems very doubtful, but say again, if Martinez can actually get players playing, that is attacking, and not boring defensive philosophies and tentative bullshit, which was all too familiar with Moyes, than at least it's something.

My argument may not have been thought through and I may not have some fancy justification for this but Martinez record is shit and whether its at a shit club is irrelevant. Why was he stuck at the shit club. Everyone says he turned down pool and AV I don't remember that I remember it being interviews for several and them him not getting the job. My gut feel is this is the start of us becoming a change your manager every season type club. I can't see what thought has gone into this appointment more than BK looking at what his local paddy power had as the favourite. If ever there was a season not to give martinez a big club job this was it. I want to know who else was interviewed if it was big dunc phil Neville and the tea lady then give it to martinez. Everyone seem to think we could attract big name managers but why we sell our best players we never have a pot to piss in and the chairmen is hated by the fans. Add to that topping the previous manager is nigh on impossible and knowing he left because he had gone as far as he could with the current resources I for one am not going to be saying ok we are playing nice so losing doesn't matter

As soon as I learned of the appointment I questioned it right away, and I wasn't alone in that thinking. Don't get me wrong, I think Martinez is a fine individual, a decent man, but simply wasn't the right choice to succeed Moyes. For the last time, if he shows a bit more attacking initiative than what came before, and actually goes out to win, then i'll give him enough support. Maybe in time I'll favor this decision a bit more but still can't quite get used to it. Guess we'll see what he can produce from August and take it from there.

Cant be arsed arguing about it, but we wont become a new manager every season club, because that would mean paying people off. We cant afford that, so Roberto is here until someone else tries to take him or he see's out his contract.

Get used to it, you might as well just back him as he's going no where.

My argument may not have been thought through and I may not have some fancy justification for this but Martinez record is shit and whether its at a shit club is irrelevant. Why was he stuck at the shit club. Everyone says he turned down pool and AV I don't remember that I remember it being interviews for several and them him not getting the job. My gut feel is this is the start of us becoming a change your manager every season type club. I can't see what thought has gone into this appointment more than BK looking at what his local paddy power had as the favourite. If ever there was a season not to give martinez a big club job this was it. I want to know who else was interviewed if it was big dunc phil Neville and the tea lady then give it to martinez. Everyone seem to think we could attract big name managers but why we sell our best players we never have a pot to piss in and the chairmen is hated by the fans. Add to that topping the previous manager is nigh on impossible and knowing he left because he had gone as far as he could with the current resources I for one am not going to be saying ok we are playing nice so losing doesn't matter

Lots of us were concerned mate, but he is manager now, so it's important to now get behind him and support him.

I don't agree Kenwright is hated by the fans either to be fair. I'd say most fans like the guy. It's the situation of not being able to compete that they tend to dislike.

There probably is some degree of animosity towards Kenwright but nothing on the level as with previous chair Peter Johnson. Fans will get angry with the lack of progression and other than the manager, who better to vent your frustrations at. As with Martinez, got nothing against Kenwright, he's a decent enough individual who does have the best interests of the club at heart you can imagine so yet again, with regards to the new appointment, maybe it's not a name for everyone, but we'll give Martinez our support and wish him well. As stated, whether anyone wants to agree, or disagree, that Martinez was the right name to take over from Moyes, there's little that can be done about it now.

As an outsider I'm not sure it's a good appointment for you. Martinez seems to have got a reputation as being some genius manager when really he's just managed to scrape Wigan staying in the PL by getting them playing well for 6-7 games at the end of the season. You are his chance for him to see if he's any good with a decent team. I can't help but think the comment about getting into the Champs League is going to come back to haunt him.

Whatever you do, don't get relegated! Forget all the rumours you may have heard about the championship being a more exciting, competitive league bla bla - its proper crap!

Some say the championship league is harder to win than the EPL, with the respective teams involved. Always going to be difficult for any relegated side to just get back at the first attempt and god forbid EFC were ever relegated, it may well take a season or two to regain top flight status, I don't believe a return would be instantaneous. Said it before @ cn174 that I don't believe Martinez was the right choice either but what can you do.

We're not going to get champions league soccer, and, we're not going to get relegated either. We have a bit more substance at Martinez' disposal than what he left behind at his last relegated position. Top Ten would seem most likely, maybe one or two positions behind what we achieved this season but it's all just estimations. Can only let him get on and do his job now.

As soon as I learned of the appointment I questioned it right away, and I wasn't alone in that thinking. Don't get me wrong, I think Martinez is a fine individual, a decent man, but simply wasn't the right choice to succeed Moyes. For the last time, if he shows a bit more attacking initiative than what came before, and actually goes out to win, then i'll give him enough support. Maybe in time I'll favor this decision a bit more but still can't quite get used to it. Guess we'll see what he can produce from August and take it from there.

You wanted Redknapp or O'Neill appointed but also moaned you would like better football during Moyes's tenure then we appoint a man who is possibly the best choice for us in terms of who was realistically available who likes to play attacking football and is a far far better choice then those two yet your still disappointed??

I think Bill the "luvvie" stitched Robbo up big time with the quote about getting into champs league however I think his intentions were to get the fans on side and you could tell Robbo didn't like it. My first game was as an 8 year old when my step dad brought me to the "good side" 1986 v Southampton awe won 6-1 and Lineker scored 4 or 5. That was it. The year after I had a season ticket and could remember the great football we played as we went on to win the league. After that ive seen the shite like thousands have before me. Mitch Ward,O'Kane,Spencer,Angel,Thomson,Williamson,Gerrard to name but a few and then I watched Walter Smith try to go for it then having to stabilise us when Johnson pulled the rug. Granted, the football was shite but I for one appreciated the job he did because we could have easily ended up like Sheff Wed.

David Moyes is somebody I worshipped as our manager for 8 years of his tenure.I still liked him for the last few years but lets get it straight we SHOULD have won a trophy or two under him. Pick your year we should have done it. If he had just had the attacking nous and tactical flexability and confidence in his squad. I think under Martinez we have a bigger chance of winning a trophy due to the fact I think he can adapt to how a game is going or rather make those changes to influence the game first and MAYBE just MAYBE score more goals once we are winning. I am not building up Martinez to be the next messiah because I worry that he may bring the "Swagger" to our game but he might lose the Moyes determination to not get beat but the more I look at it we might lose a few more but we stand to win a hell of a lot due to his style of play. I think once the players start to work with him hopefully the gossip and shite the papers need to write will stop. Like Moyes at United Martinez's big test is who he buys first. If they're poor and the players see that it could be the end but I don't think it will I've got a real good feeling about him. At the end of the day lets get see what he does and get behind him.

I think Bill the "luvvie" stitched Robbo up big time with the quote about getting into champs league however I think his intentions were to get the fans on side and you could tell Robbo didn't like it. My first game was as an 8 year old when my step dad brought me to the "good side" 1986 v Southampton awe won 6-1 and Lineker scored 4 or 5. That was it. The year after I had a season ticket and could remember the great football we played as we went on to win the league. After that ive seen the shite like thousands have before me. Mitch Ward,O'Kane,Spencer,Angel,Thomson,Williamson,Gerrard to name but a few and then I watched Walter Smith try to go for it then having to stabilise us when Johnson pulled the rug. Granted, the football was shite but I for one appreciated the job he did because we could have easily ended up like Sheff Wed.

David Moyes is somebody I worshipped as our manager for 8 years of his tenure.I still liked him for the last few years but lets get it straight we SHOULD have won a trophy or two under him. Pick your year we should have done it. If he had just had the attacking nous and tactical flexability and confidence in his squad. I think under Martinez we have a bigger chance of winning a trophy due to the fact I think he can adapt to how a game is going or rather make those changes to influence the game first and MAYBE just MAYBE score more goals once we are winning. I am not building up Martinez to be the next messiah because I worry that he may bring the "Swagger" to our game but he might lose the Moyes determination to not get beat but the more I look at it we might lose a few more but we stand to win a hell of a lot due to his style of play. I think once the players start to work with him hopefully the gossip and shite the papers need to write will stop. Like Moyes at United Martinez's big test is who he buys first. If they're poor and the players see that it could be the end but I don't think it will I've got a real good feeling about him. At the end of the day lets get see what he does and get behind him.

League Champs - nailed on. :D