IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

I am quite looking forward to the transfer window now - if there is a few bob to spend (assuming BK means as well as anything generated fro sales) , there must be extra TV cash, saving in Moyes Wages, the money that was going to be spend on Fer in January, and any money generated from transfers - so if Fellini did goes - £23 million quid, then reasonable to assume around £30M for Martinez to add to the squad. Given his limits at Wigan (wages as well as fees) it will be interesting to see what he goes for. Fellini may not be a priority player in Martinez's plans and he would prefer the £23M.

The only player I would really like to see coming from Wigan is James McCathy. He won't be cheap, but if Fellini goes a decent central midfeilder would be a must. a lot of Wigans good stuff come through McCathy.

One thing about Moyes, he was frustrating in the transfer market sometime and did 'dither' a bit (possibley a good thing!!).

Manager sorted - transfer window next

1-3 players is all we need. I don't want us to buy loads of players and then cause the morale to go down. How many times has that happened with clubs. Thinking I will get 5-7 players in, oh wait where playing ru$$ish. If we buy to many players then it will disrupt what we have going now.

Great post Cornish Steve -

I have also followed Wigan closely for some unknown reason -

I really enjoyed watching them play - even when they lost -

aggressive passing game taking the game to the opposition - very German-like -

Martinez believes that attack is the best way of defence -

with Everton's defensive attributes our fortunes could change if Martinez can get our strikers firing -

I really hope Martinez is the man Everton has been waiting for to take them back to the top -

he certainly has my full support - we need to give him enough time to settle and relax because the pressure on him is going to be immense

Great post Cornish Steve

It's going to be quite interesting in our house now. As a child (many many moons ago), I followed Harry Catterick's Everton and still remember vividly the (unfortunately losing) FA Cup final against West Brom. My oldest son, who was an accomplished youth player where we live, is now a staunch L*******L supporter, so derby days will likely be quite rowdy!

I don't expect him to be the Messiah, I just expect him to continue Moyes' work. If we challenge for Europe next season then I'm happy. Either way, if we all jump on his back now he's going to fail. We need to get behind him.

Bill you can also say some of us believes the glass is half full while others believes that it is half empty -

but I take your point -

I just believe the only way forward is if Martinez can instill confidence and self belief into the Everton players and supporters -

to make them believe they can achieve more than a fantastic 6th or 7th - otherwise we will never get there -

You go Maestro Martinez The Matador - fo Everton you killa di BULL!!!!!

Bill Kenwright confirmed that Alan Stubbs, Phil Neville and David Weir were interviewed for the position. I'm not sure how they feel about him publicly announcing they were interviewed and didn't get the job.

I think two of them will be more concerned whether or not they've got a job next season as Martinez has said he's bringing a lot of his backroom staff with him.....

Absolutely over the moon with this.

I aint really commented recently cos Haf has said everything I wanted to!!!

But loving this today. Cant wait to watch our football next season. I doubt anyone will want to leave the club with this appointment and reckon the players will be excited by the prospect of playing good, expansive, attacking football. No more sitting back after 70mins...we will go straight for the throat of every team.

At only 39, we have not seen the best of Martinez. But we are about to.

Absolutely made up today. I wasn't at first sure about Martinez due to obvious reasons but I think he is going to be a really top appointment. I know we keep going over the defence issues but lets get it right Moysie wasn't the greatest at keeping a clean sheet. With the players he has already at his disposal it should be easy to sort that out. I know there is fascination at buying Wigan players but the fella has contacts. He is a regular on La Liga programme with Giamme Ballague(?) and must have info through him regarding tons of players. I know people say nice guys finish last but I have a feeling this is gonna be a fresh approach to which the players will enjoy

I particularly enjoyed hearing him talking about needing to have ambition rather than downplaying things.

Also, I obviously liked that he said he wants to have us playing football that we can be proud of and to bring in signings to supplement what we already have here.

Very impressive interview. Lets see if he can walk the walk now.

Chuffed chuffed chuffed chuffed. Pork chops, new potatoes and broccoli for tea and then out with the mrs where I will consume several large beers.

The man has a hunger and attitude that will endear him to evertonians. Only today I spoke to a blue who last year gave up his season ticket because of being bored to death by Moyes brand of football. He apparently wasn't the only one where he sat.

Martinez quoting "playing football to be proud of" made me smile... Is it his opinion that Moyes brand of football wasn't something to be proud of? I would concur with that. Moyes acquired a tremendous team of players considering his budget, his downfall was that he never got them playing to the standard they should have. Not ungrateful to Davie, just think the Martinez evolution (not revolution) will realise the great work Moyes did in building that team.

Been smiling all day.

Some really good well thought out posts on here today.

I was unsure about Martinez if I'm honest, but the interview today has given me some real optimism. He seems to be ambitious, enthusiastic and aware of the expectations of fans and I hope that he really goes on to build something special for us.

Im made up too. BK listend to the fans and we (well, most of us) got what we wanted.

RM is a really likable bloke, and he's has good attacking tactics. We WILL play attractive football next season, however I do think we will adopt the approach of "Lets score more than you" - as he isnt the best defensive minded manager.

I'm made up, he was my no.1 choice, lets see if he can do the job.

I'd normally moan about DM being mentioned too many times for my liking, and get very critical of Bill for it. But I'm happy, I'm excited, the last time I was this excited about watching Everton we had just sign Andy VDM. I wanted to see a bit of flair. If Matinez can get Mirallas playing to his full potential, plus a few others around him, I can't wait.

Now, I'm off to the rumour section!

Also, the full interview is on the club site now.

1-3 players is all we need. I don't want us to buy loads of players and then cause the morale to go down. How many times has that happened with clubs. Thinking I will get 5-7 players in, oh wait where playing ru$$ish. If we buy to many players then it will disrupt what we have going now.

I would also like to see more 'quality' rather than numbers. Let's hope he has some decent contacts in his native Spain. No disrespect to Wigan, but at Everton he should be able to attract some quality Spanish player, with a bigger club and better wages behind him. Wigan will have had to be a really hard sell to players - no real football tradition, small crowds, low wages . I wouldn't mind the next Arteta, Fabregas or Carzola turning up at Goodison Park, It sounded like he has ideas outside of just going back to cherry pick the Wigan squad (as the lazy journalist would have us believe).

I know a few have mentioned that BK shouldn't have mentioned the UCL qualification promise, but I think its a good positive message to have out there about both the clubs and new managers aspirations. If Martinez is selling this to BK et al, I am sure he'll be selling it to our current squad and any potential targets. Let's hope he can get all the current squad to at least have another 12months with us. Hell, I might even buy in to it myself. :lol:

Just watched the press conference at long last after finally getting back from work and really buzzin about our new leader!

A couple of things immediately made me smile and gave me a hope I haven't felt for a while:

1.) His tongue in cheek comment about if the chairman wants Champions league football then he cant wait to see what the transfer budget is. :yay:

2.) He said "you really have a fantastic youth system and I really want to bring young lads through!" :yay: