IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

Finally...

Exciting times indeed, I hope Bill is true to his word and backs him in the market.

It did make me laugh when Bill said Roberto got out a piece of paper and showed him how he beat City in the FA cup. As someone pointed out on Talk Sport last night, it's a good job he didn't get out the 20 pieces of paper from the prem matches he lost last year :)

Made me laugh.

He's not the messiah, but I will back him to the hilt until he gives me reason not to :)

Also, why did Bill feel the need to talk about DM so much in the press conference?! Talk about taking the shine off things, you'd think he'd died or something.

I love that press conferance. Rm was brilliant, BK was brilliant, can anyone imagine Elstone or Woods as the front man of this club?

I just hope that RM has been talking to Baines and Fellaini by now. Convincing them to stay in the club. I also hope that contacts have been made to find at least 1 marque signing.

I dont think ive been this excited about silly season or the next season in a long long time.

High earners such as Phil Neville and, somewhat surprisingly, former reserve goalkeeper Jan Mucha are off the wage bill, while Martinez may also be able to rake in a few million for defender John Heitinga, who is on a reported £60,000-a-week.

That's from one of McNulty's articles on Martinez on the BBC. Mucha was a high-earner?!

Martinez is also talking about wanting to add to the squad and Kenwright said he was going to get financial backing, right? Hopefully we're actually going to spend this summer! :D

Edited by Steve_E

How frustrating must it be for Moyes who has had to rely on player sales to fund new players, if Martinez is given some cash to buy new players... He's wanted a kitty for years and we only get one when he leaves :rofl:

I don't think there's extra money that DM wouldn't have got. I reckon they're already counting the Fellaini money - they mentioned players with a release clause so who else would they be talking of? So with TV money that's about £30mil we'll have to play with. Probably what BK and the board has promised is to prioritise monies for transfer funds. So this next window is the most he'll ever get to spend bar us reaching CL next year or some major investment.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8760431/Everton-chairman-Bill-Kenwright-offers-reassurances-to-Roberto-Martinez

An excerpt:

Kenwright also promised Martinez he would be able to use any money raised by player sales for new signings.

"We are desperate to find new owners and new investment, but he will get support from everyone at the club and all the financial support," added Kenwright.

"By that I mean if he sells someone, he won't get 80 per cent of that, he'll get 100 per cent.

"Plus he has a certain amount of money for the transfer window which David was going to have.

Martinez is a class act. This quote is his response to a question about Fellaini & Baines possibly leaving. That last sentence is class.

"When you are successful, and Everton were clearly very successful last season, you will always get interest in players from other football clubs. It happens here, and in every football club in the land. We are not worried about that. We want the players to feel really appreciated." (as opposed to the shite throwing their toys and dummy when anyone shows an interest in Vincent van Gopher (first view about 10 seconds in)

)

... and self-belief and drive (about some fans questioning his appointment as manager);

"It is healthy that there are people questioning the appointment. It keeps me desperate to show them what I can do and one day turn them around."

He'll do for me! :D

I'm looking forward to seeing him in action but I can't help but feel Kenwright threw him under the bus with the Champions League comment. That's going to be a stick to beat Martinez with every year he's at Everton and it doesn't happen.

I'm also looking forward to seeing who he brings in, I liked what the scout found for Wigan in Valencia and Rodellaga. I find the whole situation interesting, a traditional British club being led by a Catalonian with a penchant for South Americans and the "global market". It's also encouraging that he's said he wants to bring through players from the academy, at Wigan he was largely dealing with 'rejects' from the larger North West clubs.

Although I do wonder if Martinez is as statistic-driven as Moyes. There was a report somewhere showing Wigan's passing statistics versus Everton's of the season just gone and Wigan had actually made around 2,000 more passes than Everton and had a better pass rate percentage.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in action but I can't help but feel Kenwright threw him under the bus with the Champions League comment. That's going to be a stick to beat Martinez with every year he's at Everton and it doesn't happen.

Until it happens :).

I wish people would stop harping on about this! Its bad enough the media being childish pricks about it. He didnt say he was going to do it this year did he? Like he explained in his interview, its good to dream and thats where we want to be, whats the point of coming in and saying "im going to finish 6th or 7th for you"?? Because it means fuck all really. All this talk in the media basically laughing at us because of that comment, they dont take into consideration that he went on to explain the comment or that we are not actually that far off a top 4 team anyway. Its a joke.

I wish people would stop harping on about this! Its bad enough the media being childish pricks about it. He didnt say he was going to do it this year did he? Like he explained in his interview, its good to dream and thats where we want to be, whats the point of coming in and saying "im going to finish 6th or 7th for you"?? Because it means fuck all really. All this talk in the media basically laughing at us because of that comment, they dont take into consideration that he went on to explain the comment or that we are not actually that far off a top 4 team anyway. Its a joke.

It wasn't what was said, it was how it was delivered - "one of the first things he said to me was I can get you in the Champions League". Even Martinez was making light of the comment after he had explained his position and the process behind it.

I guess it's because what you say in a job interview is usually a bit OTT and you wouldn't really want anyone else to hear it because you might sound like a knob!

For example

"Yes I'm dedicated, hard working and an excellent team player who would push this company to the apex of the industry..."

Isn't too dissimilar from...

"I will get this team into the champions league"

It wasn't what was said, it was how it was delivered - "one of the first things he said to me was I can get you in the Champions League". Even Martinez was making light of the comment after he had explained his position and the process behind it.

Just read what you said again and realised I'm talking out my ring piece :lol: I'll just shush... :ph34r:

I was listening to Talkshite yesterday though and they had this laughing voice over the part of the interview kenwright said that, and were basically taking the piss out of us. Really wound me up!

I am really pleased we have our manager, but the truth is I want him to sort out our future now. We need to let those that want to leave go, and make our move for the replacements before 8/31. Just once I would like our transfer business to be concluded before the club starts preseason training.