IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

From the press conference:

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright: "When David [Moyes] first came to see me, he sat down, and we were in a bad state. First words, he said we are not going down. Roberto's first words, he will get us in the Champions League. He had obviously studied the football club and recognised what David Moyes has achieved.

"But he sat and talked to me and showed me how he beat Manchester City at Wembley. I went to that game, sat among the crowd, to look at Roberto.

"He understands the game and Everton. He told us about our history and what he wanted to do. It was a terrific meeting. All I can tell you is, when you know, you know."

"I'll give him a few quid to sign a few players. We all know the situation at Everton, we all know that there are players with release clauses but they are not for sale.

"We don't want them to go. Not one person had even half-indicated to me that the change will mean a change for them - exactly the opposite, they all seem totally committed to it. I'm confident that the squad plus some Roberto signings will form the squad for next season."

In Bill we trust, too!

Edited by Cake

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright: "I'll give him a few quid to sign a few players. We all know the situation at Everton, we all know that that there are players with release clauses but they are not for sale.

"We don't want them to go. Not one person had even half-indicated to me that the change will mean a change for them - exactly the opposite, they all seem totally committed to it. I'm confident that the squad plus some Roberto signings will form the squad for next season."

----------------------

I wonder what he means by saying a few quid and it is worrying about the release clauses. I reckon it is Fellaini and Baines. Felli - 24mil and Baines - 10mil. Uh oh!

Uh Oh!

New Everton manager Roberto Martinez: "A large amount of my backroom staff will come with me. The fans need to know they are the most important part of this club, and I will need them. What David Moyes has done is set a real high standard.

"We need to make sure we are a winning side and a strong side that can carry on achieving more. Finishing in the top-six was a magnificent achievement, and we need to keep building if we want to improve on that."

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright: "I'll give him a few quid to sign a few players. We all know the situation at Everton, we all know that that there are players with release clauses but they are not for sale.

----------------------

I wonder what he means by saying a few quid and it is worrying about the release clauses. I reckon it is Fellaini and Baines. Felli - 24mil and Baines - 10mil. Uh oh!

No chance baines has a release clause of £10m, or he would have been long gone by now. Ive said it before but i think Baines will stay with us for the rest of his career now. Im not too arsed either way with felli tbh. The only thing that would worry me is how martinez would spend the cash, seen as hes never really been able to "splash the cash" before

Gotta be said I do chuckle when Bill gives his "it took me 45 seconds to decide after speaking to Roberto" - he loves a bit of overdramatics.

Martinez oozes class its got to be said. I was actually walking 5 places behind him getting off the plane from Barbados this time last year, cameras all over the place regarding his move to Liverpool. He was unlinched, un harrassed and just chilled (I did try and geg on the camera to no avail)

He's got a few bob to spend too eh...

Uh Oh!

New Everton manager Roberto Martinez: "A large amount of my backroom staff will come with me. The fans need to know they are the most important part of this club, and I will need them. What David Moyes has done is set a real high standard.

"We need to make sure we are a winning side and a strong side that can carry on achieving more. Finishing in the top-six was a magnificent achievement, and we need to keep building if we want to improve on that."

Not sure why his back room staff indicates a problem. They are the ones who helped him instill his brand of football to the players. Don't have a problem with it.

Gotta be said I do chuckle when Bill gives his "it took me 45 seconds to decide after speaking to Roberto" - he loves a bit of overdramatics.

Martinez oozes class its got to be said. I was actually walking 5 places behind him getting off the plane from Barbados this time last year, cameras all over the place regarding his move to Liverpool. He was unlinched, un harrassed and just chilled (I did try and geg on the camera to no avail)

He's got a few bob to spend too eh...

And I'm certain he'll do a good job with it. He seems to have an eye for 'cheap' talent having been forced down the same road as Moyes in some ways. Yes, he's bought some who aren't up to it but, then again, so did Moyes (Kroldrup, van der Meyde, Beattie....) and so does every manager.

Anybody else watching the press conference?

-----------

Kenwright said that Moyes first words were we are not going down and Martinez first words were he will get us in the champions league. A confident manager. Moyes has done wonders for our club and where not in a bad way anymore. We have the squad to get into the champions league or at least europe. Lets hope he does get us in there :)

And I'm certain he'll do a good job with it. He seems to have an eye for 'cheap' talent having been forced down the same road as Moyes in some ways. Yes, he's bought some who aren't up to it but, then again, so did Moyes (Kroldrup, van der Meyde, Beattie....) and so does every manager.

All managers make the odd boo boo with transfers - in Bob Martin we trust.

Martinez says the transfer market is 'global'. He strikes me as the kind of person who'll have in depth knowledge of lots of players strengths and weaknesses and not just those that were within Wigan's buying power.

I reckon that he'll have a good list of targets that will improve the squad - then its down to Bill and Elstone to back up Bill's words.

I wouldn't mind betting that Elstone nearly choked when Bill came out with that - stick a microphone in front of him and he can't help himself!

Not sure why his back room staff indicates a problem. They are the ones who helped him instill his brand of football to the players. Don't have a problem with it.

Sorry.... just thinking from a defence view. I'm probably wrong and hope I am.

He is more then likely referring to Fellaini and I think it's pretty obvious that clubs will come in for him in the near future. I can't see Baines going anywhere the only club that I could see coming in for him and maybe needing a player of his ilk would be United and I don't think even they will with Evra looking likely to stay on and Butner as a back up/replacement.

I'd love to keep hold of all our main players but if a big bid comes in which I'm sure it will for Fellaini then I can see him going and as long as Kenwright allows Martinez to reinvest a large part of it then I'm not too concerned tbh...

Potential players out - Heits Jelavic and Fellaini

Players in who knows but I trust Martinez to do his work and I'm not concerned about him never having a large sum to spend as He may not here and Moyes wasn't exactly great when spending big..

He said there was one player with a release clause (Fellaini, common knowledge) and nobody else was for sale, unless I misheard.

Put it this way when you are dealing with Wigan resources you have to be resourceful. You gotta hunt where the competition is less, that means outside of the european leagues, lower level clubs, observe which players are being released by Barca's youth system etc. The likes of Man City and Man United can use the champions league as their scouting programme as they can afford to.

Wouldn't surprise me if RM has a list of players he wanted for Wigan but couldn't quite afford in terms of the wages etc who will be gems.

Sooner lose Felli than Baines. Plus he will get us more money. Think RM may get as much as £20m to spend...

From the press conference:

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright: "When David [Moyes] first came to see me, he sat down, and we were in a bad state. First words, he said we are not going down. Roberto's first words, he will get us in the Champions League. He had obviously studied the football club and recognised what David Moyes has achieved.

"But he sat and talked to me and showed me how he beat Manchester City at Wembley. I went to that game, sat among the crowd, to look at Roberto.

"He understands the game and Everton. He told us about our history and what he wanted to do. It was a terrific meeting. All I can tell you is, when you know, you know."

"I'll give him a few quid to sign a few players. We all know the situation at Everton, we all know that there are players with release clauses but they are not for sale.

In Bill we trust, too!

Not going to lie: got a few chills from reading this. I'm very excited!

Am over the moon right now! It's exciting times.

The thing about Martinez is that he prepares well and is a superb strategist/tactician. Everyone has said that he'll switch to Wigan's passing and attacking style of play, but I don't see a sudden change at all. Swansea had to play differently to differentiate from the physical play in lower leagues. Wigan had to differentiate because they had neither the budget nor the depth to compete otherwise. With the resources now available, Martinez will likely sit back and carefully consider how he can build on the current approach, slowly but surely tightening things up, maintaining strengths, and addressing weaknesses. I'll bet he'll be putting in 80-hour weeks during the off-season as he researches and considers and experiments and gets to know his new team. It may take a few months before he has a real impact, but then things could really start to happen. Also, given his management style, I would hope that he'd get more out of current players by instilling in them his confidence and passion for the game.

So, I'm now supporting a new team! I've enjoyed watching Wigan, even when the team lost. Their demolition of Newcastle last spring was one of the most dominant one-sided displays I've ever witnessed. Their defeat of ManU cost the latter their title. But it's Martinez's detailed and hard-working approach that I find fascinating, so Everton it is for me. They are once again going to become a real powerhouse - Top Four and not just Top Six. Can't wait for the new season to begin! :)

Put it this way when you are dealing with Wigan resources you have to be resourceful. You gotta hunt where the competition is less, that means outside of the european leagues, lower level clubs, observe which players are being released by Barca's youth system etc. The likes of Man City and Man United can use the champions league as their scouting programme as they can afford to.

Wouldn't surprise me if RM has a list of players he wanted for Wigan but couldn't quite afford in terms of the wages etc who will be gems.

Sooner lose Felli than Baines. Plus he will get us more money. Think RM may get as much as £20m to spend...

I may be dreaming but I'm expecting that we'll have somewhere like 10-15m to spend even without selling.

Big jump in the TV revenues from this season, higher than anticipated league position (at £1m per place), more live TV monies than projected from last season plus we didn't spend the Fer money in January.

Then he might get to spend more if he generates some from the current playing staff.

Here's hoping...........

I am quite looking forward to the transfer window now - if there is a few bob to spend (assuming BK means as well as anything generated fro sales) , there must be extra TV cash, saving in Moyes Wages, the money that was going to be spend on Fer in January, and any money generated from transfers - so if Fellini did goes - £23 million quid, then reasonable to assume around £30M for Martinez to add to the squad. Given his limits at Wigan (wages as well as fees) it will be interesting to see what he goes for. Fellini may not be a priority player in Martinez's plans and he would prefer the £23M.

The only player I would really like to see coming from Wigan is James McCathy. He won't be cheap, but if Fellini goes a decent central midfeilder would be a must. a lot of Wigans good stuff come through McCathy.

One thing about Moyes, he was frustrating in the transfer market sometime and did 'dither' a bit (possibley a good thing!!).

Manager sorted - transfer window next

If Fellaini goes I would like us to go back to Fer again. Anyway going back to the topic. I am excited about the prospect of Martinez being Everton manager and see what he does in the transfer market. Has anybody from our scouting network gone to United? If not then we can still get a few gems.

I believe our chief scout is going with Moyes - Robbie Cooke (can't say I'd heard of him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10089727/Manchester-United-manager-offer-contract-to-Steve-Round-David-Moyes-former-assistant-at-Everton.html

Edited by SharpysVolley