IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

Some suggestions on the radio this morning that it might not be Martinez(despite an interview) and BK is still very open minded about the position.

That was in reference to Bill saying "there is no favourite"

I think Roberto is nailed on.

That was in reference to Bill saying "there is no favourite"

I think Roberto is nailed on.

I'm not convinced. BK was very vague but suggested he still had further candidates to interview who were currently under contract elsewhere. If Roberto is the man why not just announce it? We know what the compo package is to Wigan and it would appear everything would be in place to make the announcement

http://www.followtonians.com/?p=7361

1240 votes , 91% Pereira and 9% for Martinez,

The vote on this site 22 (49% of vote) for Pereira and 11 for Martinez

These are reasonable snapshot to the 'fan's choice' of manager, but if you have evidence to the contrary that puts somebody else as a more popular 'fans' choice' then please post away, as i will listen to anything as long as it has some sort of coherent back up to it. Otherwis your just spouting off.

If you read my post, I didn't say he was the right man for the job, I said he is at very good odds at 40/1 in what is likley to be a two or three horse race. Considering the facts available to us.

Who do you have as the 'fans choice' then? - a little bit of back up though as you forgot to include it on your last responce.

You do make Pereira sound better, saying 2 seasons 1 defeat and 2 league titles. Then under Martinez 176 games 51 won 1 FA Cup and 1 relegation.

Did you mention how much the squads are worth together? Porto have a great set of players.

Wigan on the other hand, a lot of their players were injured this season as well and losing the likes of Moses, Rodellaga, N'Zogbia is going to be a blow for any side. Who did they get to replace them? Kone? They didn't have anyone who was good on the wings except di santo but even he had a lowsy touch.

Everton have Pienaar, Mirallas, Coleman, Osman who are better than any of the Wigan wingers. I don't class McManaman as a good winger, he minced Gibbs a couple of times in the City game but Gibbs isn't exactly the greatest LB in the world. Yakubu could have done the same to Gibbs and he turns slower than a tank.

I think Martinez stands out more than Pereira. He can get his players motivated. The only problem is that you don't see him angry enough. I can see Martinez going after the Arsenal game after getting relegated saying, we had a good run, we were unlucky.

Difference with Moyes is if we lost to Arsenal 4-1 he would have let the team know. Martinez is to nicey nice for me.

@arturpetrosyan: Today should be vital for Bilic's future. He's meeting the president. Don't be surprised if he flies to Liverpool straight after. #EFC

@arturpetrosyan: @dhg23 Everton being interested in him is a fact. The rest depends on many things...

One on one he is very good and Martinez really did well to exploit that. However, if you look at his overall game then he isnt half as talented as Mirallas in my opinion. I dont think he will make the same impact next season.

hes also 3 years younger and not had anywhere near as much high level experience. How he progresses next season will depend on his recovery from injury...

McManaman is just another James McClean IMO. His first year, he was unplayable. Since then, he's done nothing and as he's previously been described on here, as a yard dog.

That is just so unfair!

@arturpetrosyan: Today should be vital for Bilic's future. He's meeting the president. Don't be surprised if he flies to Liverpool straight after. #EFC

@arturpetrosyan: @dhg23 Everton being interested in him is a fact. The rest depends on many things...

Interesting. Think it could be a great appointment personally.

Common themes that I am seeing on some forums (along with our own) - not criticisms but observations...

• Martinez being judged on where he finished in league with no understanding of how he was impacted by resource, injuries comparable to other managers.
  • No understanding of how other managers (Hughes, O'Neill etc) have operated in their previous clubs. Just a wikipedia link here and there showing league table finishes (no mention of transfer expenditure, player disputes)
  • Pereira (a man 99% of Evertonians knew almost noithing about last year) being heavily favoured because he won the league back to back. Why wasn't he offered a contract before if he was so great? He may well be, but can we be so sure? Juande Ramos wasn't exactly the superstar Spurs thought he was going to be... His assistant back then (Gus Poyet has also been favoured)_

My like for Martinez is based on a few things:-

• He is the least risky appointment
  • He has the potential to take us forward. Anyone who seen how Wigan played us off the park on Boxing Day but in reality lost because the lesser quality of their defenders was the difference. He gets his teams to control the game, no punting, scared to have the ball, he gets them playing.
  • He will not roll overand tell his team to sit back.

Every argument against Martinez can almost be countered with "would Sir Alex Ferguson have done a better job with those resouces?"

You do make Pereira sound better, saying 2 seasons 1 defeat and 2 league titles. Then under Martinez 176 games 51 won 1 FA Cup and 1 relegation.

Did you mention how much the squads are worth together? Porto have a great set of players.

Wigan on the other hand, a lot of their players were injured this season as well and losing the likes of Moses, Rodellaga, N'Zogbia is going to be a blow for any side. Who did they get to replace them? Kone? They didn't have anyone who was good on the wings except di santo but even he had a lowsy touch.

Everton have Pienaar, Mirallas, Coleman, Osman who are better than any of the Wigan wingers. I don't class McManaman as a good winger, he minced Gibbs a couple of times in the City game but Gibbs isn't exactly the greatest LB in the world. Yakubu could have done the same to Gibbs and he turns slower than a tank.

I think Martinez stands out more than Pereira. He can get his players motivated. The only problem is that you don't see him angry enough. I can see Martinez going after the Arsenal game after getting relegated saying, we had a good run, we were unlucky.

Difference with Moyes is if we lost to Arsenal 4-1 he would have let the team know. Martinez is to nicey nice for me.

Gibbs plays for arsenal not city I think you mean Gael Clichy

German football is going through a very good spell at the moment, so wouldn't mind some of those German philosophies rubbing of at Goodison. I must admit I don't know much about him, he's 55 years old so not really one of the younger more revolutionary German managers.

Now if it was Thomas Tuchel being interviewed I would be getting very excited, as that would be a real coup. But I don't think he is looking to move yet, at least not to Everton. I can see him going to one of the big German clubs in a year or two. Although, he recently turndown the Schalke job, the one Rangnick vacated with ill health.

A manager with good connection to the young German player market gets him a lot of Brownie point from me. The German youth system is second to none at the moment and there transfer fees are not massively inflated like the british market. You just watch the asking price on Wigan's Macmanaman this summer be some ridicules figure.

On SSN now as well. Has BK met with Pereira as well? It says in the article that he met with him last week but I haven't seen anything official about that. Getting interesting now. These names however are definately more appealing than the ones we heard at the start. Time will tell I guess. Still think it will be Martinez though.