IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

Guest blueboy122

I agree that more attractive football would have helped him, but as has been mentioned before he missed more than a few sitters, and lacks the speed to create his own chances.

Can only think of 4 or 5 sitters to be honest.

Tell that to Stoke, West Ham, Bolton, etc and Wimbeldon of course who won the league with playing awful 100% percent of the time. So you infact made the ridiculous statement.

Please re read that post Matthew as you cleary havent read it where do I say good football, I said we have had some decent passages in some games.

I take it you are an avid fan of match of the day if you believe we play a good brand of football.

I've re-read your post mate and I don't think I got confused in the first place.."great passages of play for 5% of our general play which is normally horrendous" or something to that effect ( sorry can't quote exactly as I'm on my phone).

With regards to your MOTD comment I'm just going to laugh that off. I could easily reverse it and say that you must have only watched Wigan twice this season, once beating us and then winning the FA cup.

They were utter garbage for most (95% if you like percentages) of the season.

Nothing more than a moronic journo putting two and two together and getting five.

"Martinez is going to speak to Toffees supremo Bill Kenwright in the next 48 hours"

Martinez isn't going to say to Whelan let alone the media I want to take some players with me he hasn't even officially spoken to the club let alone taken the job.

Id take McCarthy and McManaman other then those two I can't think of who else I'd want to fork out for if we did go for any Wigan players and those two would cost a pretty penny.

I'd be happy with Martinez considering some of the tripe that's been rumoured and I'll be very keen to see how things change if he is appointed.

There were no defending issues at Swansea, so with better resources suited to the calibre of division you are in, there is unlikely be such a defending issue.

I was speaking to a Swansea fan and he said quite the opposite. He said they were poor defensively but played good football.

After being gone for the (American) Holiday weekend I had hoped we would have settled on a new Manager. I did read that maybe The Mirror? had speculated Martinez could command an exit fee of £5M. If that is true then perhaps the club should look in another direction. Perhaps that's why things are yet to be settled.

£2million according to Whelan himself.

WHEN WE APPOINT. martinez we will become a blackburn norwich wigan etc where we have a new manager every year. This shows what a cunt kenright is in the sense that his research into our next manager is what do the media think. We will be back to avoiding relegation

I was speaking to a Swansea fan and he said quite the opposite. He said they were poor defensively but played good football.

I know some of the Jack's were a little uncomfortable with playing three at the back at times, and they also moved from a more defensive philosophy to a more offensive footballing style as the footballing blueprint for the club, defensive type fans did pose some questions. They may well not have been as tight and compact as some would have liked.

In 07/08 season they won the first division with the third best defensive record and a massive +40 goals, in the 08/09 Martinez only season in the Championship with Swansea, they finish 8th overall, but had the 5th best home game goals conceded and the 7th best away game goals conceded. Not to shabby for a newly promoted team who are considered 'poor defensively'. The season Rogers brought Swansea up they conceded only 5 less goals than the team under Martinez a couple of year earlier.

So the statistic in leagues in which he a more even playing field with regard to the talent of available defenders. His defending statistics are not particularly worrying for a team that play an offensive style of football.

Don't get me wrong the defensive side of his play is also my biggest concern, but I don't think it's as bad as what's being made out. Clean sheets are nice but I could live with 2-1's and 3-2 as opposed to 1-0's.

I think to dismiss Martinez - you first need to make the following allowances:

Taking everything into account I believe he is one of the better managers in the league, it's more of a risk United taking Moyes than it is for us taking Martinez.

I think to dismiss Martinez - you first need to make the following allowances:

Taking everything into account I believe he is one of the better managers in the league, it's more of a risk United taking Moyes than it is for us taking Martinez.

There's two sides he built (as Swansea still have players from his time there, like Ashley Williams who's being linked to Arsenal) in the top 4 of £ spend per point earned. Obviously Wigan's defence was bad, that wasn't down to his tactics, it was down to their bad defenders. He wasn't able to fix it because (1) they have very little money to spend on transfers and players (2) had a lot more needs than just defense to adress with the money they do have and (3) the defenders he did bring in were injured for large parts of the season.

Edited by Steve_E

I'm not overly keen and not massively impressed that he's one of the top candidates for the job but if he gets it, well done to him, it's a big gig and he'll need to work tremendously hard to appease the fans.

I think we will regress slightly in the first season, top 10 (dependent on who we keep) and a good run in one of the cups, is what I expect. He won't be a long term manager in my eyes.

We needed someone to build a team, on an ethos of new directions.

Still support him but not overly keen. Not showed enough to warrant the position IMO.

I agree mate, I think one thing evident from the discussions in this forum is that those not in favour of Martinez (myself included) are probably overly critical of him and those in favour of him perhaps over estimate his abilities. At the end of the day we all want the same thing, a successful manager and really there are no guarantees in football, who's to say Pereira or Laudrup would do a good job either?

We'll just have to wait and see, support our new manager and hope we make some progress.

Edited by MatthewT

He will have my support if he is the one. I'm actually quite excited. We know he likes to play football the right way so there definitely won't be any of those hopeful hoofs up the pitch. He will play it from the back. And here he has much much better players than he had at Wigan so I'm confident he'll be a success. Out of all the other candidates the only one I wanted was Pereira but I knew little about him if i'm honest. Martinez is an intelligent man, we are not giving the job to some idiot (redknapp, lennon) so he'll respect the fans and club. Regarding signings, I do rate McCarthy but not for 15 million. I hope he'll go into the foreign market as you get quality players for under 10 million there unlike here where you have to pay nearly 20 million for good players. He has contacts in Spain, hope he attracts some players from there.

Edited by Geth

I'm not overly keen and not massively impressed that he's one of the top candidates for the job but if he gets it, well done to him, it's a big gig and he'll need to work tremendously hard to appease the fans.

I think we will regress slightly in the first season, top 10 (dependent on who we keep) and a good run in one of the cups, is what I expect. He won't be a long term manager in my eyes.

We needed someone to build a team, on an ethos of new directions.

Still support him but not overly keen. Not showed enough to warrant the position IMO.

Problem is J, if he showed any more than what he has already done, his sights would be higher than Everton and he would be a likely candidate for an elite job. I truly believe that.

His performances against the top 4 teams have been sensational. He gets unknown players and moulds them into footballers, they play with freedom, no fear and a patience that makes a mockery of the salary they are on. They then become targets for clubs who can pay them more wages and Wigan let them go, they know they can't keep them, and the whole cycle starts again. Moyes operated something similar but to a far lesser extent, the more times you repeat this process, the more risk you take. Martinez did this with more players than Moyes had to.

The biggest challenge/risk for football clubs nowadays isn't necessarily the transfer fee outlay, it's the contract they award to the players. Martinez could only attract players who would take less than £20k a week, that's before you consider the transfer fee. There are players who earn more in the championship. We on the other hand, will pick the players who may be nearing the end of their contracts but seek the similar wage amount, if we had Wigans model we would have lost at least 80% of our team because we couldn't award them the salary they could get elsewhere.

Martinez lowered Wigans wage bill by 22% when he took over frokm Bruce... His team are on the same wages that Everton were when Moyes took over from Walter Smith.

on the 3 man defence concept, I liked the 3 (or rather 5) man defence set up that Moyes did for a couple of games while Fellaini was out that many had suggested previously. I definitely wouldn't go with 3 defenders and not have some kind of full backs to provide support.

GK

CB CB CB

WB WB

MF MF

AM

F F

Baines and Coleman fit the attacking wing back roles perfectly and the extra defender gives them a bit more license to get forward.

The 2 Midfield roles at the moment would be taken by 2 of Fellaini, Gibson and Osman.

The attacking roles taken by Mirallas, Pienaar, Jelavic, Barkley and Anichebe

Centre back wise Jagielka is a definite as at the moment is Distin while I expect Heitinga to probably leave and be replaced, weather Duffy is up to stepping up at the moment as well I don't know but obviously we could do with a 4th capable Centre back.

i like this formation, it utilieses the attacking attirbues of our full backs well while ensuring they are well protected, provides decent cover in the middle of the park and has plenty of attacking players able to roam around.

WHEN WE APPOINT. martinez we will become a blackburn norwich wigan etc where we have a new manager every year. This shows what a cunt kenright is in the sense that his research into our next manager is what do the media think. We will be back to avoiding relegation

Very insighful.

I would be interested to know your top three managers you think BK should be taking to in order to look for longer term stability. Ones we could afford, would jump at the Everton job and would look to be in the job for the long haul.

on the 3 man defence concept, I liked the 3 (or rather 5) man defence set up that Moyes did for a couple of games while Fellaini was out that many had suggested previously. I definitely wouldn't go with 3 defenders and not have some kind of full backs to provide support.

GK

CB CB CB

WB WB

MF MF

AM

F F

Baines and Coleman fit the attacking wing back roles perfectly and the extra defender gives them a bit more license to get forward.

The 2 Midfield roles at the moment would be taken by 2 of Fellaini, Gibson and Osman.

The attacking roles taken by Mirallas, Pienaar, Jelavic, Barkley and Anichebe

Centre back wise Jagielka is a definite as at the moment is Distin while I expect Heitinga to probably leave and be replaced, weather Duffy is up to stepping up at the moment as well I don't know but obviously we could do with a 4th capable Centre back.

i like this formation, it utilieses the attacking attirbues of our full backs well while ensuring they are well protected, provides decent cover in the middle of the park and has plenty of attacking players able to roam around.

Martinez will definately be trying 3 at the back, with wing backs. He isn't scare of moving away from the standard english default of 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

Given we have one of the worlds best offensive and chance creating left backs, giving him more attacking freedom wouldn't be the worst tactical idea in the world. (That's if Baines is still at the club)

Seeing as Bill Kenwright decides who the new manager will be why doesn't he stick 100% of Everton's money on a bet in the bookies on who will be our next manager? It's not as if he can get it wrong.

Haha are you a Kenwright hater? Do you want to see him go down for fraud?

Imagine that though he puts all Evertons money in a complete outsider at massive odds and makes us millions. Someone from league 2 or lower, but he should get someone to do it in every betting shop ever to exist. That way he would get millions for winning and then be able to pay all the bookies, WilliamHill, BetFred, and still have loads of money left. That is a great idea. Well done, get on the phone to Kenwright NOW! :D

Blimey, I didn't know that was gonna happen. I'm a bit worried now. Can you quote the research and analysis you have conducted in making this conclusion?

I could have sworn that Martinez stuck at Wigan for longer than 1 year. I also thought that he turned down bigger gigs at Liverpool and Villa. But then again, what do I know.

Although he is favourite and is in talks at the mo, Its deffo not a certainty that Martinez will get the job.

Sky news reporter outside Goodison said Vitor Periera (sp) is still in the chairmans plans for talks, and if it came to the crunch we might not want to pay £2m compensation to Wigan. I believe Vitor is a free agent.

Seeing as Bill Kenwright decides who the new manager will be why doesn't he stick 100% of Everton's money on a bet in the bookies on who will be our next manager? It's not as if he can get it wrong.

pretty sure that falls under fraud...

Guest blueboy122

What a stupid tthing to say. What will happen to the squad then will they turn into relegation fighters over night?

Jags, Distin, Baines, Coleman, Mirralas, Fellani, Anichebe, Pienaar, Barkley etc.