IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

Martinez might go to Stoke. Meanwhile we could get Hughes. I don't want either if I'm truthful. We should be able to attract more dynamic managers.

You must be kidding. Martinez would need 15-20 new players if he were to take over Stoke. That appointment simply would not work due to Martinez and Pulis using completely opposite styles of football lmao. I'd love to see Dean Whitehead, Rory Delap, and Glenn Whelan try to play pretty, passing football in midfield.

I hope we get him. The defensive stuff wont be an issue...so long as he keeps the likes of stubbs and weir on board.

Sky Sports News just read out comments from fans about it...didnt hear one positive which is a shame...as I type they are on about the badge petition...getting fed up that we hit the news with negative issues.

Brrrrrrrrr.

I hope we get him. The defensive stuff wont be an issue...so long as he keeps the likes of stubbs and weir on board.

Sky Sports News just read out comments from fans about it...didnt hear one positive which is a shame...as I type they are on about the badge petition...getting fed up that we hit the news with negative issues.

Brrrrrrrrr.

We're not called "Bitter Blues" for nothing.

You must be kidding. Martinez would need 15-20 new players if he were to take over Stoke. That appointment simply would not work due to Martinez and Pulis using completely opposite styles of football lmao. I'd love to see Dean Whitehead, Rory Delap, and Glenn Whelan try to play pretty, passing football in midfield.

I think the talk of Martinez playing pretty football is exaggerated.

In the Prem, you need to win, not play pretty. Doing both is a bonus. We would be ok for a few seasons as we have a team that play well together, but once a manager sells a few here and buys a few there, things can be very different.

Never have I seen so much enthusiasm to hire a losing manager, yet the same fans will talk of 'how great' our club is etc etc.

If we sign him, then I wish him all the best, but my initial reaction would be frustration.

We're not called "Bitter Blues" for nothing.

Ha...yeah! Could try a bit more to keep it behind closed doors!!!

If we get Martinez...I absolutely cannot wait to ram the negativity, or as some might say 'concern', down some wide arse throats.

I am however confident that like him or not, everyone will get behind him...until we lose a few games!!!!

Dave Whelan on SSN now, defending Martinez with how crippled the team were with injuries...upto 8 at any time...he's saying no manager could have coped with that.

Wish there were more people like Whelan in football...in life in general actually!!!

I'm delighted and excited personally. I was worried about about who we could have ended up with, and with Martinez being in my Top 3 candidates (Laudrup, Porto manager and Martinez) I am relieved that it looks likely to be him.

He is about instilling a footballing culture at the clubs he's worked for. Look at Swansea, Wigan - right down to their academy's they play the same way.

The risk we have is the defensive aspect, but I think we have good experienced players to utilise and stubbs/weir as coaches.

Pretty much agree with this

Laudrup would have been my first choice but hes ruled himself out so for me from yje names linked I wanted either Martinez or Pereira

Got reservations about both but they are a lot better than the likes of Lennon, MOL and Hughes

Pretty much agree with this

Laudrup would have been my first choice but hes ruled himself out so for me from yje names linked I wanted either Martinez or Pereira

Got reservations about both but they are a lot better than the likes of Lennon, MOL and Hughes

Pretty much my thoughts also....

Just on SSN and judgeing by Whelans comments Kenwright has been holding out for Martinez to tell Wigan He wants out, It seems very likely that Martinez will be the man in the hotseat going off that interview.

I'm happy with Him being approached as said some of the names mentioned over the last few weeks has been very worrying if there was any truth behind them that is.

2M is small change in todays game We will more then likely save close to that in wages from what Moyes was earning so not great financial strain in that regard.

To those who wish to make an informed opinion then this is a great (BALANCED) read. http://theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/roberto-martinez-strengths-and-weaknesses/

If you want to believe that Martinez is a bad choice based on him toying and then eventually succumbing to relegation then you may want to ignore as it has facts and stats in there that may discredit your argument.

Have to say, Martinez wasn't my first choice (Pereira) but we have to hope that he is appointed now.

He won't be short of offers to take over at other clubs, Malaga being another linked.

If he holds talks with us and doesn't take the post then that will raise concerns and rumour about what we've had to tell him about potential transfer targets, players out, the immediate club future etc.

So lets hope we have productive talks over the next couple of days, get him in well before the start of pre-season and give him some time to get settled at the club.

I think the talk of Martinez playing pretty football is exaggerated.

In the Prem, you need to win, not play pretty. Doing both is a bonus. We would be ok for a few seasons as we have a team that play well together, but once a manager sells a few here and buys a few there, things can be very different.

Never have I seen so much enthusiasm to hire a losing manager, yet the same fans will talk of 'how great' our club is etc etc.

If we sign him, then I wish him all the best, but my initial reaction would be frustration.

In 12/13 Wigan enjoyed a better possession share and kept the ball better than us. They also created the 9th most scoring chances in the league, but a lack of quality in the final third cost them. The game at Goodison on Boxing Day was a good example as we were second best for the most part but due to Wigan’s profligacy in the final third we managed to eek out a narrow 2-1 win.

Strong indication of a good footballing and attacking philosophy

Defensively, nine teams conceded more shots than the Latics however they suffered from some calamitous mistakes with 17 individual errors leading to goals – the most in the division – plus they gave away more penalties than anyone. Clearly, some of the blame needs to be apportioned to Martinez here for recruiting and persevering with some high risk players of ill repute.

Backs up some of the3 defensive concerns but also points to the lack of quality they have.

Even though he's far from my first choice if he is appointed I'll feel a certain sense of relief tbh. Some of the names we were linked with filled me with horror. Martinez leaves me with a feeling of some trepidation but he's a safer option (in my mind) than the majority of other names.

Guest blueboy122

Agree with Haf and Dunc really pleased with this if it comes off. I think many people are slightly disappointed because he has taken Wigan down, however no manager in the world could have kept that Wigan team up especially with the injuries they had this season. Suppose nobody would want McCarthy to follow Martinez because he was in the team that got relegated right..... Thought not its the same ideology taking that Wigan team down isn't a True reflection of his managerial capabilities, in my opinion it's only due to the fact that Martinez had them playing flowing attacking football that they stayed in the league for 4 seasons, if they had a more reserved Moyes type manger then I think they would have been relegated years ago as they would be mauled due to inviting pressure as we know Moyes can be liable to do as there defence is very poor.

Never been keen on the Porto manager, think he would be a bigger risk than Martinez as he doesn't know the league and has won the Portuguese league with a superb squad and don't think it would be that difficult to do. Martinez had a far harder job at Wigan an excelled year on year with his football style. We have a great defence and have been lacking that attacking football aspect which Martinez will bring

I am extremely pleased.

To those who wish to make an informed opinion then this is a great (BALANCED) read. http://theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/roberto-martinez-strengths-and-weaknesses/

If you want to believe that Martinez is a bad choice based on him toying and then eventually succumbing to relegation then you may want to ignore as it has facts and stats in there that may discredit your argument.

Lol facts like Wigan were relegated, win percentage of 29% and going out of the Cups 5 times in 4 years to lower league opposition!

I'm hoping he ends up with Malaga.. I'll be disappointed if he's appointed.

Club issue statement regarding Roberto Martinez

Wigan Athletic can confirm that following an approach made by another football club, permission has been given to Roberto Martinez to discuss a vacant managerial position.

After discussions between Roberto and Chairman Dave Whelan, it was reluctantly agreed that Roberto, who remains the Manager of Wigan Athletic, would be allowed to speak another club.

There is no further comment to be made at this point.

http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/news/article/13-05-28-club-statement-836647.aspx

Guest blueboy122

I'm hoping he ends up with Malaga.. I'll be disappointed if he's appointed.

Really?

Who would you prefer?

That lad from Portugal. I am sure Martinez would have won the league in Portugal if he was the manager of Porto

Lol facts like Wigan were relegated, win percentage of 29% and going out of the Cups 5 times in 4 years to lower league opposition!

That's why it's a (BALANCED) piece... unless you aren't paying too much attention to the positives?

Taking everything into consideration I believe he is the right man to manage our club.

Can't wait to see how Barkley comes on next season "I want you to demand the ball, express yourself, play the pass that will unlock the defence"

Can't wait to see how we build from the back "I don't want to see you hitting aimless 30 yard balls into their centre halves"

Can't wait to see Jelavic "You are the striker, not the winger, pressure their centre halves, make them worry about your movement"

Guest blueboy122

People are being naive about Martinez in my opinion and need to look at the bigger picture. Need to look past Wigan being relegated

People are being naive about Martinez in my opinion and need to look at the bigger picture. Need to look past Wigan being relegated

This.

For the past few years people have been questioning my over ambitous ways in wanting money/investment/better deals/ - we are top 4th successful team in England. The reality is - who could we have got who would guarantee success?

AVB was supposedly guaranteeing success for Chelsea and failed (although his dismissal was ridiculous), he has since done ok at Spurs but not great. Wenger despite being a great manager has taken a lot of stick from gooners fans.

Martinez for me is a smart gamble. We have the quality not to fear relegation - and to allow him to leave his mark on the club. If it pays off he could be the difference between also rans and top 4.

Martinez's Premier League record:

Games 152

Wins 38

Draws 43

Losses 71

win % 25%

Whelan says he's not "equipped to manage" Wigan in the Championship.

Whelan confirms £2m is the compensation fee should anyone want to appoint him.

TC., on 28 May 2013 - 15:45, said:

In all honest despite him leaving Wigan, who's to say he won't turn us down too? Look at Villa and Liverpool - so therefore he could be holding out for the Malaga job.

This is what I'm pinning my hopes on.