IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

Guest blueboy122

Martinez's Premier League record:Games 152Wins 38Draws 43Losses 71win % 25%Whelan says he's not "equipped to manage" Wigan in the Championship.Whelan confirms £2m is the compensation fee should anyone want to appoint him.

Who do you propose we have as our next manager?

Alex Ferguson has a good record what about him?

Will you continue to look at stats? Look at the bigger picture.

Martinez's Premier League record:

Games 152

Wins 38

Draws 43

Losses 71

win % 25%

Whelan says he's not "equipped to manage" Wigan in the Championship.

Whelan confirms £2m is the compensation fee should anyone want to appoint him.

25% - Of the 47 bosses to manage over 100 PL games for a single club, only two have a lower win ratio than Martinez (25%) at Wigan. Parting.

Guest blueboy122

Could Sebastian Vettel win a Grand Prix with Renault Clio?

No so he must be a shit driver.

Martinez can only use what's available to him and for most of the season he didnt even have a defence.

25% - Of the 47 bosses to manage over 100 PL games for a single club, only two have a lower win ratio than Martinez (25%) at Wigan. Parting.

Statistics as it's best there....

"Of the 47 bosses to manage over 100 PL games"

AKA

If the manager was that poor he got his team relegated then we don't want to include them as they won't support the argument I am trying to make.

Guest blueboy122

Using stats we should go for Neil Lennon as he would have the best win percentage.

Lets not consider circumstances for those stats just as people aren't for martinez's stats.

It works both ways

blueboy122, on 28 May 2013 - 16:14, said:

Who do you propose we have as our next manager?

Alex Ferguson has a good record what about him?

Will you continue to look at stats? Look at the bigger picture.

I'd like to see Thomas Tuchel appointed. Martinez, is an predictable/unimaginative selection. Minutes after Moyes sign with Man Utd newspapers were already suggesting that it'd be Martinez to replace him.

Statistics as it's best there....

"Of the 47 bosses to manage over 100 PL games"

AKA

If the manager was that poor he got his team relegated then we don't want to include them as they won't support the argument I am trying to make.

I'm happy with Martinez, he's an improvement on Moyes and one of only 47 managers to keep their job for over 100 games. Stats, it depends on how you read them ;)

Roberto has more prem points than Moyes had before he came to Everton and has won the FA Cup.

Edited by pete0

Despite me being openly dismissive of Martinez I am willing to support him and I hope if he is appointed he proves me wrong.

I do think however that some people put the blinkers on when they claim that Martinez will bring the "school of science" philosophy back. Did anyone see how potent some of our football was these past couple of years?! Once we got some flair players in some pundits were literally jizzing themselves about our style of play.

I think it's a bit unfair to suggest we've been a hoofing team for the past few years. Moyes wouldn't have got the biggest job in the country if he played hoof ball tactics.

I'm happy with Martinez, he's an improvement on Moyes and one of only 47 managers to keep their job for over 100 games. Stats, it depends on how you read them ;)

This,

managers get sacked for failing to reach their targets. Wigan never had the resources to have any other target than to survive, he did this with style and a philosophy. The managers who were sacked??? I'm sure there will be some crackers like Christian Gross, Mark Hughes and MON who loved to buy expensive donkeys..

Despite me being openly dismissive of Martinez I am willing to support him and I hope if he is appointed he proves me wrong.

I do think however that some people put the blinkers on when they claim that Martinez will bring the "school of science" philosophy back. Did anyone see how potent some of our football was these past couple of years?! Once we got some flair players in some pundits were literally jizzing themselves about our style of play.

I think it's a bit unfair to suggest we've been a hoofing team for the past few years. Moyes wouldn't have got the biggest job in the country if he played hoof ball tactics.

Potent? I'm not sure 4-5-1 at home to relegation fodder, whilst lumping balls into channels is potent. Especially when you consider the technical talent available. I've seen the odd game where we look great, but on the whole we have circled the wagons and played predicatble one dimensional stuff, no plan B etc.

Guest blueboy122

I'd like to see Thomas Tuchel appointed. Martinez, is an predictable/unimaginative selection. Minutes after Moyes sign with Man Utd newspapers were already suggesting that it'd be Martinez to replace him.

Because he is a talented manager and arguably the type of manager we need to build on Moyes's foundations. Because he was widely tipped and is well thought of and familiar with the premier league we should look at someone who the majority aren't familiar with.

Makes sense.

Guest blueboy122

Shown some great passages of play no doubt that accounts for about 5% of our general play which is horrendous. Read the Romeys match day reports and count how many times he comments on our boring football tactics etc

"Everton chairman Bill Kenwright rang me last week and said, if our talks broke down, could he have permission to talk to Roberto?" -Dave Whelan

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11682/8739854/Premier-League-Wigan-manager-Roberto-Martinez-to-leave-club

Sounds like he wasn't our first choice? I take it Peirera was our first choice, and we couldn't get him?

Guest blueboy122

"Everton chairman Bill Kenwright rang me last week and said, if our talks broke down, could he have permission to talk to Roberto?" -Dave Whelan

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11682/8739854/Premier-League-Wigan-manager-Roberto-Martinez-to-leave-club

Sounds like he wasn't our first choice? I take it Peirera was our first choice, and we couldn't get him?

I've always thought that to be honest. Mind you I wouldn't take what gobshite Dave Whelan says as a reliable transcript of that conversation.

anyone who got martinez at 13/8 and it was probably even bigger on betfair looks a sure bet imo dont really want martinez but some of the names mentioned are really making us look mugs

does anyone on here want the likes of neville, stubbs wier lennon hughes pulis - because to be realistic there probably our only likely targets.

and kenright you have proved yet again you are the biggest bullshitter chairman in football he knew well before it got confirmed and has still done nothing to help us get stable before the summer, now any player could think im off now this clubs going downhill. we really dont do ourselves favours everton.

Edited by Blue4Ever

This,

managers get sacked for failing to reach their targets. Wigan never had the resources to have any other target than to survive, he did this with style and a philosophy. The managers who were sacked??? I'm sure there will be some crackers like Christian Gross, Mark Hughes and MON who loved to buy expensive donkeys..

So now, you are a defender of managers with no resources ? :dont know:

Why weren't you so lenient with Moyes, who took us to the top 4, Europa, Wembley finals, and regular top 6 finishes with little resource?

It will be Wigans talks that would have broken down.

So now, you are a defender of managers with no resources ? :dont know:

Why weren't you so lenient with Moyes, who took us to the top 4, Europa, Wembley finals, and regular top 6 finishes with little resource?

It will be Wigans talks that would have broken down.

Relative to Wigan Moyes is swimming in gold. Earning nearly as much as their 3 best paid players combined.

Potent? I'm not sure 4-5-1 at home to relegation fodder, whilst lumping balls into channels is potent. Especially when you consider the technical talent available. I've seen the odd game where we look great, but on the whole we have circled the wagons and played predicatble one dimensional stuff, no plan B etc.

Haf your going on about needing a balanced argument and then you spout this waffle

Some of the football we played in 2012 calendar year was superb and you make out we had about 3 good games or something. You back Martinez saying that injuries are to blame for them going down yet ignore the injuries Everton have had. Gibson, Mirallas and Coleman are all integral to the way we play and have all been out for lengthy periods of the season

There is a saying in football that you have to earn the right to play football and I think its spot on. Martinez isn't the first ,manager whose side has stuck to its footballing principals but more often than not those sides have played pretty football all the way down to the Championship

As I said earlier I am coming around to the idea of Martinez but there are big reservations about his defensive record, he had four years to sort out Wigans defence and failed miserably. That said I also had reservations about Pereria and his lack of experience outside of Portugal, so I don't think any of the names linked were ideal but we simply aren't going to attract the top managers

For me Martinez is probably about as good as we can hope for at the moment and obviously if he takes the job I hope he is successful

Relative to Wigan Moyes is swimming in gold. Earning nearly as much as their 3 best paid players combined.

Was that the case when he first took charge of Everton?

I think the situation Martinez was in and the situation Moyes inherited when he first took over are quite comparable, yet Moyes managed to stabilise the club and gradually build it to take us away from the threat of relegation and turn us into regular top 8 finishers

Its not like he came in and threw loads of money at the problem

Just listening to Stoke fans on the radio on the way home. Jesus christ these guys could give Shite fans a run for their money with the shite they spout!

Apprentley Stoke have a lot more to offer Martinez than Everton? One of the best if not the best youth system in the country is a quote from one fan! :lol: you know with all them youngsters theyve brought through? Or theyve got representing england at youth level.

Another one went on about how all the big clubs are setting foundations in America now and apparentley they (Stoke) started that off, you know because they have that amazing american superstar GEOFF CAMERON!!! We only had Howard the last what? 8 years? And possibly the biggest name over there in Donovan. Another one went on to say how we lack depth in our squad, which okay i could see that, but he then pointed out probably the only place we do have decent cover (CB) saying we would be screwed if jags got injured, yeah we only have a dutch international WC finalist on the bench, no biggy.

I just had a right laugh listening to some of them come on talkshite just now, actually made my day. If we loose Martinez to Stoke and we were genuinley interested in having martinez, then i will happily eat the bricks of my own house. Stoke City hoofball club.

Was that the case when he first took charge of Everton?

I think the situation Martinez was in and the situation Moyes inherited when he first took over are quite comparable, yet Moyes managed to stabilise the club and gradually build it to take us away from the threat of relegation and turn us into regular top 8 finishers

Its not like he came in and threw loads of money at the problem

We finished 15th the season before he came, won a FA cup 6 years before that. Our team was much better than Walter Smith made it look, and Moyes job has been a lot easier than people make out. Bar one 4th place finish (even Ipswich had a one season wonder and managed that) Moyes has not done anything to be considered great, he's competent. Any manager that is not an idiot would have done just as good or just as not great as the case is, only succeeding on others faults not from his own ingenuity. Sides over spent wages and fees, if anything its the chairman who should be praised.

The club has been stagnant. Moyes has been great at keeping a chip on his shoulder giving the illusion fo doing a good job, but a better manager would have brushed it off and progressed.

As for comparing Everton to Wigan on equal footing... I can't fathom that.

Wigan's best paid are on less than Anichebe, paints a picture of how hard Martinez's job was.

Or how unrealistic/generous Anichebe's contract is?

For all the people commenting on how Everton have overachieved in recent years, that is only over achievement in terms of the transfer market spend. Everton's players are well paid. Remember Arteta took 10k/week drop when he joined Arsenal.

Our annual spend on player salaries is about 10th in the league but we have a small squad compared to most, so per player the wage structure is pretty competitive.