IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

We have also got a track record of losing star players and the fees/wages Everton paid for the likes of Arteta, Cahill,AJ,McFadden, Jags and Lescott were all easily within Wigans budget.

Moyes then developed those players and sold them on for a profit which is where the money came from for the increased reinvestment and wages for him to play with.

Moyes managed to improve our squad year on year and move us up the table , Martinez hasnt

Wigan's talent spotting is just as admirable. We retained our players with wages that helped us get the big price. Most players leave Wigan for bigger wages, only reason Wigan don't get a big price is if the player has run down his contract. 16 mil for Valencia, 10 Moses, and 9 N'Zogbia.

I'm delighted and excited personally. I was worried about about who we could have ended up with, and with Martinez being in my Top 3 candidates (Laudrup, Porto manager and Martinez) I am relieved that it looks likely to be him.

He is about instilling a footballing culture at the clubs he's worked for. Look at Swansea, Wigan - right down to their academy's they play the same way.

The risk we have is the defensive aspect, but I think we have good experienced players to utilise and stubbs/weir as coaches.

At least with him resigning we don't have to pay the reported £5million and it'll cost us a lot less.

"He has 12 months left on his contract, so whoever comes in for him must pay the remainder of his contract."

i'd have thought if he resigned we wouldn't have to pay either?

"He has 12 months left on his contract, so whoever comes in for him must pay the remainder of his contract."

i'd have thought if he resigned we wouldn't have to pay either?

So did I but maybe it's more of a gentleman's agreement sort of thing rather than a full resignation. I.e. I've won you a cup, got you into Europe and worked under trying circumstances, but now I'd like to leave for better and bigger things so let me go for a reasonable price.

I agree with the defence bit. Here he has much better defenders than he had at Wigan. Coleman has developed into a top top right back and I can't wait to see him next season. Keep Bainsey if we can and with Jags as captain you have three very good players there. Distin's getting older but he still plays like a player in his twenties and still outpaces every striker out there. Get rid of Johnny H, get a quality younger CB in and have Sylvain and Duffy as cover. Oviedo and Hibbo (ands Stones hopefully) as full back cover. Very solid back line there.

Edited by Geth

What was there to consider? Failure follows misplaced loyalty. Fortune favours the brave. I'm not comparing us to Utd but Moyes was loyal to us, yet was like a rat up a pipe once the chance came up to join Utd, didn't think twice! Again, what was there to consider? I hope Martinez does well.

If he uses similar tactics we could see something on the lines of this. Don't know if it would work, but going forward we'll be a force, would need Felli to dip back and allow Baines/Coleman forward and Barkley to do Maloney's role, but on the opposite side.

------------------Howard

------Coleman Heitinga Baines

-------------Gibson Fellaini

Pienaar-----------------------Oviedo

-----Barkley Jelavic Mirallas

If he uses similar tactics we could see something on the lines of this. Don't know if it would work, but going forward we'll be a force, would need Felli to dip back and allow Baines/Coleman forward and Barkley to do Maloney's role, but on the opposite side.

------------------Howard

------Coleman Heitinga Baines

-------------Gibson Fellaini

Pienaar-----------------------Oviedo

-----Barkley Jelavic Mirallas

No Jags?

lets not forget the Malaga job is available too, that said i think its stonewall that he will be with us next season, i am with haf on this one of my top 3 and will be happy with any of them (same as his).

Aren't Malaga due for some sort of sanction (because of financial irregularity?)?

I'd prefer if we play something like this:

Howard

Coleman Jags *signing* Baines

Mirallas Fellaini Gibson *signing*

*signing*

*signing*
I think we need 4 players to improve our first team. A quality younger CB, a pacey and tricky winger, a playmaker and a quality finisher. Players like Ossie, Pienaar, Victor could then be used as back up.

Edited by Geth

From a Wigan Forum (Northern Soul) .....

Martinez has gone. (The excuse) Says he's done all he can with Wigan.

"Well maybe 4 seasons and 3 relegations fights ending in relegation is all too Much for Martinez. Personally, I think he's a fool, but that's just me.

Now we have to wait and see what Whelan will do next. Maybe Martinez didn't get the answered he needed in the meeting today which only lasted half an hour. Looks like Everton have been waiting in the wings to me, and I expect to see him going there now."

We could be getting the wrong fella in here.

Will Bill be willing to pay that?

No choice, we have a manager who plays football according to the school of science tradition. £2m is peanuts really.

Moyes was on £70k a week (£3.6m per year) He will probably sign for £50k a week meaning the saving of £1m per year will nullify that outlay. Throw on Phil Nevilles wages and we are in the black. Simples.

I'm with Hafnia, would have preferred Pereira or Laudrup but Martinez is my third choice so if it happens id be OK with it. Better than promoting from within or Redknapp/MoN.

Its not a done deal yet. Lots of managers are switching jobs at the moment so there are a lot of clubs looking for a new manager. Anything can happen.

(I can't remember this many managers changing jobs at the same time ever before, at least not so many top clubs)

No choice, we have a manager who plays football according to the school of science tradition. £2m is peanuts really.

Moyes was on £70k a week (£3.6m per year) He will probably sign for £50k a week meaning the saving of £1m per year will nullify that outlay. Throw on Phil Nevilles wages and we are in the black. Simples.

We 'don't have' yet Haf. :Grammar Police: