IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

Martinez is clear favourite today - 'arry stating to drift as expected, he'll not be in BK thoughts for the position. He's the opposite of the type of manager will be going for.

I would love to know why punters are putting a few bob on Lennon, has been there or there about's in the betting since Moyes announced he was going. There's hardly anything in the media about him.

Even though Pereira's odds are drifting, I still think it's a two horse race between Martinez and Pereira. There has not been anything negative about him coming out since he came to London last week. I think he has been given the weekend to mull it over. I think odds of 7 or 8 to 1 might be quite generous. It might be worth a few quid this weekend.

Southgate was manager at 'Boro without the necessary qualifications....he got special dispensation (think that's right anyway).

It was a long time ago though Mike, and our cut off point was 2010.

From what I can gather, a caretaker manager situation for no more than 12 weeks is allowed, unless otherwise granted by the FA. I don't see why our club would be given any dispensation in our situation.

just had to get on Pereira with Coral at 10/1 - twice the price of elsewhere. You also get a £50 free bet with your first £50 bet. Decent chance of a £500 return, and then a decent chance to winmy £50 back with the free £50 bet even if I lose out.

I don't think Lennon, Redknap or Solskjear or Stubbs are serious contenders for the job. so 10/1 is amazing value.

Come on Pereira, that would just about cover my ticket cost next season

just had to get on Pereira with Coral at 10/1 - twice the price of elsewhere. You also get a £50 free bet with your first £50 bet. Decent chance of a £500 return, and then a decent chance to winmy £50 back with the free £50 bet even if I lose out.

I don't think Lennon, Redknap or Solskjear or Stubbs are serious contenders for the job. so 10/1 is amazing value.

I really, really hope you win. Would like Pereira here.

There is no way the FA would block Neville.

What makes you think that Steve ?

They let Southgate do it for one. But really they should be promoting young English coaches and helping them progress into top jobs.

Also, he is a well respected England International, a damn good role model, model pro and must have a few mates at the FA from his under 21 work.

You threw £50 on him? I really hope he comes just for you Rob.

It was a long time ago though Mike, and our cut off point was 2010.

From what I can gather, a caretaker manager situation for no more than 12 weeks is allowed, unless otherwise granted by the FA. I don't see why our club would be given any dispensation in our situation.

Don't understand what you mean by that bit Avinhuh.png.

Not sure it is good or bad, but the longer it takes to find out, the less time there will be to buy players in the summer window.

Deffo good if we get Redknapp or MoN. Bad if we get Pereira or Martinez. If we are going to get Martinez, get him in now! Otherwise McCarthy and Mcmanaman will be long gone.

Don't understand what you mean by that bit Avinhuh.png.

From what I can gather, English coaches were given a period of grace, or a deadline, in which to have their UEFA Pro licences before it became mandatory. At the time of Southgate getting special dispensation, which was in 2008, coaches were still in that 'OK, but get it done before 2010' period, but I think our coaches have had enough time to respect the qualification criteria as it was introduced in 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Pro_Licence

That's why Neville is unlikely to get the job, nor are any backroom staff who don't have it, unless they only take the position for a max 12 weeks, as a Caretaker manager).

An unusual point is that I can't tell if Martinez has actually got one either. You would imagine that he must have, but when he took over at Wigan, he was only taking his A licence, and his name is not on the Wiki list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:UEFA_Pro_Licence_holders

or here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_managers_and_coaches_who_have_qualified_for_the_UEFA_Pro_Licence

But then neither is Lennon, Pereira, Laudrup etc, and I'm fairly sure Lennon has one.

You threw £50 on him? I really hope he comes just for you Rob.

Cheers,

it just makes it all a little more exciting. I am not really a betting man and just playing the odds really at 10/1. He's an out of contract manager, a decent manager but maybe not a top four team manager (just yet) he appears to have thrown his hat in the ring for the job and it sounds very much like he spoke with the club last week. He is very much a popular choice with the fans,considering the other front runners.

I would have him down as a 3/1 or 4/1 shot at worst.

Found this article about Martinez written by a Wigan fan. Seems an honest and balanced view, although it's not clear when it was first published because the article is dated March 2013 but the comments are from a year ago. His opinions seem pretty relevant in any case: http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/a-wigan-fan-tells-everton-why-roberto-martinez-is-the-man-to-replace-moyes/

Realisticly lids, who of these possible managers could bring best players in to the club?

?

Say this, Moyes didn't do too bad a job in bringing in some quality acquisitions during his decade here, although truth said, there were one or two duds along the way. Certainly had an eye for a good player, but since he's now departed, we have to wonder what the new face may wish to bring in. I didn't follow Wigan at all during the last season, although it was hard to not see their FA cup endeavors, so don't really quite know who or what Martinez was able to bring in as manager, but above all else, Martinez is not a name I want as David Moyes successor. Can only repeat, the best time for all this is when the actual name is disclosed and take it from there. No sense in reeling off a handful or half dozen managerial names and what they can provide or offer and rather wait until there's at least some kind of confirmation on this issue. Sure it won't be long in arriving now.