IGNORED

United fan in peace, in need of some information about Moyes

As a member of Red Cafe, the place in a serious meltdown at the minute because we've arsed about in the transfer for Thiago Alcantara to an extent where it's now allowed Bayern to come in and steal him from under our noses.

A poster on there said he's friends with an Evertonian who has been impressed with Martinez since he's been at the club, particularly in how quickly he's brought new players in.

He went onto say that whilst at Everton, Moyes was an extremely slow mover in the transfer window and you would often end up doing a lot of late/deadline day business.

Centre Midfield is a massive weak area for us, and with 11 days gone and no players whatsoever yet brought in, and Thiago gone to Bayern, we're all a bit concerned about how long he's waiting to do any business especially with the tough fixtures at the start of the season.

Is he a notoriously slow starter in the transfer window?

Edited by pukalala

As a member of Red Cafe, the place in a serious meltdown at the minute because we've arsed about in the transfer for Thiago Alcantara to an extent where it's now allowed Bayern to come in and steal him from under our noses.

A poster on there said he's friends with an Evertonian who has been impressed with Martinez since he's been at the club, particularly in how quickly he's brought new players in.

He went onto say that whilst at Everton, Moyes was an extremely slow mover in the transfer window and you would often end up doing a lot of late/deadline day business.

Centre Midfield is a massive weak area for us, and with 11 days gone and no players whatsoever yet brought in, and Thiago gone to Bayern, we're all a bit concerned about how long he's waiting to do any business especially with the tough fixtures at the start of the season.

Yes, but thats usually been down to him not having money to work with...

Edited by Matt

I don't know how fair it is to compare Everton Moyes with Man U Moyes. At Everton, Moyes was expected to be a top-8 team consistently despite being handed a bottom of the table budget. As such, every penny counted and I think it can be said that he was definitely careful in his decisions.

With Thiago Alcantara... it's an isolated incident and I don't think much can be concluded from it. I think Man U fans should remember that Moyes, like any new manager, is in a new environment with a new set of expectations and new puzzle to put together. Regardless of whether this Alcantara incident was poor form or not I think it's inevitable that mistakes are going to be made along the way. If the primary concern was to win at all costs in 2014 then I would think that Mourinho or Ancelotti or Pep or someone of that caliber would have been brought in. Moyes was brought in by Ferguson for the long haul. He's a brilliant mind and he's going to have a nice run with Man U, I would think.

Finally, let me remind Everton fans that, while this transfer window has been exciting, spending money and making headlines means absolutely nothing if it doesn't translate onto the pitch. Just ask Liverpool all about that.

How many pieces are you in?

Moyes is a good manager when it comes to the transfer market. You have nothing to worry about. As Hafnia said, he does have a tendancy to over analyze things which takes time, but he will have a plan a to z.

A few of his purchases have been duds but any manager can buy those. (Naismith, Becks, Andy V, Bilyaletinov, Drenthe to mention some)

He has however found Baines, Coleman, Mirallas, Distin, Fellaini, three of whom probably would make it into Man utds starting 11.

If you think you've got any chance of signing Thiago, think again. Same goes for Bayern. And that's not because you've got moyes, but because he is going to be the next big thing for Barcelona, they won't let him go.

As for your situation, Moyes is notoriously slow in learning from his mistakes both on and off the field. He was here 11 years and couldn't figure out that if you leave a man up from a corner, the defending team will more than likely leave 2 men back to defend. I think it will be a learning curve for him. I assumed Sir Alex would still have a big input and Moyes would be his puppet but that doesn't seem to be the case thus far, which is what I'd be worried about if I was a united fan.

Like one of the other guys said, its not really easy to compare the two clubs Moyes is at.

Personally I wouldnt be worried at all. Spunking millions up the wall doesnt help if you dont get the right players in and Im sure Moyes will be making sure he has got the right man.

I hope for your sake he forgets about the cost and learns to buy the top players. Ive got a feeling he wont be able to do it Thiago should have been signed

Regarding Thiago, the latter half of this report is revealing. It seems that ManU was ponderous and slow in negotiations, even after trying to recruit the guy for three years. Pep Guardiola, once he'd decided he wanted the player, got on a plane, made his target feel special, convinced him of the move, didn't let contract details slow progress, and appears to have won him over. This, surely, is how you chase the greatest players: Do what it takes to let them know they are really wanted.

Contrast this with Roberto Martinez, who apparently spoke several times with Deulofeu, taking whatever time was needed to reassure Barcelona that it was the right move, and sealed his arrival in short order. There are right and wrong ways to convince the world's best players: In the case of ManU, taking the slow and cautious route was the path to failure. In the case of Everton, a laser-like focus won the day.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Regarding Thiago, the latter half of this report is revealing. It seems that ManU was ponderous and slow in negotiations, even after trying to recruit the guy for three years. Pep Guardiola, once he'd decided he wanted the player, got on a plane, made his target feel special, convinced him of the move, didn't let contract details slow progress, and appears to have won him over. This, surely, is how you chase the greatest players: Do what it takes to let them know they are really wanted.

Contrast this with Roberto Martinez, who apparently spoke several times with Deulofeu, taking whatever time was needed to reassure Barcelona that it was the right move, and sealed his arrival in short order. There are right and wrong ways to convince the world's best players: In the case of ManU, taking the slow and cautious route was the path to failure. In the case of Everton, a laser-like focus won the day.

I think Guardiola has just said on his press conference yesterday that he has no idea how close Thiago is to joining. He said that he has told Rummennige and Sammer that he wants him and they are working on getting him, not Guardiola. I also believe Deulofeu said on his interview that he has only spoken to Martinez on the phone once.

Welcome to our forums mate.

Moyes has constantly aggrivated us every transer window due to his slow moving nature.

Fellaini is a typical last second signing. Most people didnt even know about this one until the day after transfer window had closed.

But it's not only buying thats the problem, Arteta going to late in the window gave us no time to properly evaluate who we want to bring in to replace him. There are many many others....and many names that we missed out on.#

Please dont mention the name Mouthino on here!

Dont get me wrong i loved Moyes and think he will do a stellar job for you. But his transfer activity was frustrating to say the least.

Yes, but thats usually been down to him not having money to work with...

I agree here... Moyes has always had to be careful with what little funds he had to play with. That's why he's lauded for finding diamonds in the rough. Maybe he's not used to the funds he has available now. He certainly doesn't want to spend willy nilly. Don't expect an exciting negotiator from him, but look to see a manager get the best out of a solid squad.

I think Guardiola has just said on his press conference yesterday that he has no idea how close Thiago is to joining. He said that he has told Rummennige and Sammer that he wants him and they are working on getting him, not Guardiola. I also believe Deulofeu said on his interview that he has only spoken to Martinez on the phone once.

On the latter item, I've read conflicting reports. In the radio interview I quoted, though, the commentator stated that RM was heavily involved and spoke several times. Re Guardiola, the commentator states that Guardiola got on a plane and met with the player. Moyes could have done that too but chose not to.

On the latter item, I've read conflicting reports. In the radio interview I quoted, though, the commentator stated that RM was heavily involved and spoke several times. Re Guardiola, the commentator states that Guardiola got on a plane and met with the player. Moyes could have done that too but chose not to.

Reminds me of Nigel martyn being shown round park foods when he snubbed us for Leeds.

The plastics can go and blow it out their fucking ass, two trophies before 1997 was it ? Great history - big fucking club.

Although to be fair, I'd rather see Manchester City win the league championship again rather than their more illustrious neighbors, forced to concur on that issue.

See the spelling error in the initial title has been rectified, although under Moyes' tenure, you may well eventually be in 'pieces' what with the Scot's often banal and mundane tactics.

And what information is there to give anyway. Most people from any club will recognize Moyes, for his 11 years at this club. Never won anything, but made this club recognized again and brought some considerable success and fine league finishes.

Martinez has really sprung into action since his appointment and made some interesting captures, but as with anyone into a new job, he wants to impress. He was hardly going to sit on his ass and do nothing. But for the last time, it makes a welcome change from the usual sterile and last minute actions we have seen in recent seasons for close season transfer activities.

Made me laugh today when Moyes said "its good to see a youngster impressing when given the chance" fuck me im starting to go off him ha ha. Strange his first game he goes for a safe 0-1 :yay:

Made me laugh today when Moyes said "its good to see a youngster impressing when given the chance" fuck me im starting to go off him ha ha. Strange his first game he goes for a safe 0-1 :yay:/quote]

he has obviously only now discovered that some youngsters blossom if you give them a chance to - at Everton youngsters had to know their place is in the reserves or on the bench

Made me laugh today when Moyes said "its good to see a youngster impressing when given the chance" fuck me im starting to go off him ha ha. Strange his first game he goes for a safe 0-1 :yay:/quote]

he has obviously only now discovered that some youngsters blossom if you give them a chance to - at Everton youngsters had to know their place is in the reserves or on the bench

Sideliner, I appreciate you don't like Moyes, but lots of others here do, so can you at least try to get your facts right when slating him? :lol:

It wasn't long ago that Moyes was admired for his stance on youth, and has given numerous young players the opportunity to prove themselves over the years. It's important to remember though that throwing a youngster on to soon can be detrimental to their progress, and that's why many of our younger players were sent out on loan to gain experience.

Do you remember the Europa game against Bate Borisov?

Everton Substitutes

He was often criticised by fans for playing the youngsters in the cups, so it's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't sometimes.