IGNORED

Squad Numbers

• 10 months later...

Bringing back an old thread.

The club make an announcement they call "squad number update" to say there is no update yet.

Echo announced Cleverley has taken 15.

Not bothered about the rest now, I've accepted the mistakes that have been made, I'm looking at your Bryan, I just hope they give Stones that number 5 shirt (wore 5 for England this summer too).

Completely agree about Kone. Think that was poor judgement when he came in, from the club, manager, or whoever. That number means a lot to the fans and should be earned.

Agree about Gerry too. I think he'll go for something like 27 until something he prefers comes up.

dont think either have earned the right yet, at least one might be worthy

I would say 20 goals last season and 16 (was it) the season before gives him the right to wear it myself. He's by far and away the best, most promising and high profile striker we've had in years. He WILL get at least 20 again next year injuries permitting and he will make us money when we come to sell him.

He deserves that number 9 jersey more than anyone else does or has for a while now.

I would say 20 goals last season and 16 (was it) the season before gives him the right to wear it myself. He's by far and away the best, most promising and high profile striker we've had in years. He WILL get at least 20 again next year injuries permitting and he will make us money when we come to sell him.

He deserves that number 9 jersey more than anyone else does or has for a while now.

Maybe I'm over compensating, you're spot on with that.

Cleverley wore 15 and Dealofeu 19 yesterday. The Echo reported Cleverley would get 15 and they look like they were right about something for a change, so it's likely Gerry will get 19.

Lukaku still had 10 btw.

Which means Kone still has 9.

A mate of mine went yesterday and although we all appreciate it was a pre season friendly and an early one at that he said Kone was utter shit.

How anyone can think he deserves to play for us is absolutely beyond me let alone have him wearing the hallowed 9 shirt. His level was Wigan, a shit two bob team who had a bit of a golden era and are now back where they belong.. Woeful player and nowhere near premier league standard.

Edited by Paddock

Personally I don't really think it matters anymore. Let's not get all nostalgic about the number 9 as if it is an indicator of ability.

Bettie had number 9 and was shite, overweight, immobile. Landon Donovan was given it as a loan player.... What was that all about?

Yet Rooney was told he would have to earn it. Maybe if he was given it in his second season and not treated like a child he wouldn't have been so keen to go. Then again we had to sell him in order to avoid admin.

We then go and give the number 9 to a squad filler who had never played a game for us.

So my thought is this, give it to whoever wants it. The days of a blood and thunder striker bullying centre halves in a number 9 are gone as we simply have bought in players not fit to be compared to the historic owners of the shirt.

Edited by Hafnia