IGNORED

Which players should leave during this transfer window?

There's been plenty of discussion about players potentially joining this summer but less about players leaving. Given the financial constraints within which the team must operate, considerable funds could be freed up by getting rid of 'dead wood'. Putting emotion aside, which players does it make most sense to transfer out during the current window - and how much could we get for each player?

Edited by Cornish Steve

Heitinga - for his wages

Gueye - for not fulfilling his potential

That's it really, any more and we're back to a small squad. I'd add Fellaini based on the money he could bring in but ONLY if the money is reinvested into the squad and a couple of top players are bought in.

Jags - old school, plus will get a premium because he's English. Easily replaced with a younger better suited player. £8-10 mil

Baines - value will only decline once the transfer window closes. A change in our system would lessen the effect of losing a player of his quality. However no need to buy an expensive replacement as Oviedo and Garbutt are waiting in the wings. £10-16 mil

Pienaar - old and breaks down attacks too often plus relies heavily on Baines. Good enough for squad, but wages are too high. £2 mil

Naismith - give the youth a chance instead. £2-5 mil

Jelavic - an offer over £10 million would be too good to refuse

Replacements: ball playing CB and CM, striker, winger, cheap defensive lb.

Edited by pete0

Not an easy question to answer without context. For the right price there's not a single player on this team who "shouldn't" move. Offer me 100 million for Leighton Baines and I'll make the trip to Europe and drive him to his new destination.

But if we're going to base this on probabilities, Heitinga's role is clearly limited and if we can gain some pocket cash for this or the next transfer window then it's best to move on. As long as he's here I'm willing to leave some hope that Gueye can get it together but I would be happy to move him at the first decent offer that comes in.

some of the names being touted here.... some of you should be ashamed.

Id agree on you with the mentions for Baines, but who else are you thinking about? most of those suggestions would seem fairly logical to me other than the fact the squad is too small to let anymore than say 2 go.

Edited by Simon

Id agree on you with the mentions for Baines, but who else are you thinking about? most of those suggestions would seem fairly logical to me other than the fact the squad is too small to let anymore than say 2 go.

forget the small squad bit, money brought in and saved on wages would bring others in and, worst case, leave opportunities (through necessity) for the youngsters.

Ossie - I know I'm biased but he is one our longest servers. It's not just his influence on the pitch (which is sporadic, I agree) but what he brings off it

Howard - we just brought in a keeps who can push him, he's a long serving and mostly reliable top keeper.

Baines - still a ridiculous shout which I won't bother explaining why

Maggie - never had a real chance to prove himself, he gets another season for me

Peanuts - still has something to offer for me

I accept (sadly) Heitinga - makes sense from a wage perspective. Naismith is a nobrainer.

Edited by Matt

I'm baffled at the Howard suggestion. It doesn't really make sense to me.

If we lose Howard we'll just have to get another keeper (Again). Every squad needs at least two GKs in the squad, and Howard is the number one for USA and has been great for Everton. I also don't think his performances have every been bad enough to justify his transfer.

He may be on the wrong side of 30, but keepers are supposed to be old. :happy:

Edited by TonkaRoost

Howard, Heitinga, Naismith, Jelavic - don't know how much they'll fetch, would be happy to get £15-17m for the four of them

And go back to having just one goalkeeper at the club?! Bizarre comment - nearly as silly as suggesting we should sell Baines.

OT I'd sell Heitinga & Gueye, possibly Jelavic if we can get over £10 million for him.

Edited by Zoo

And go back to having just one goalkeeper at the club?! Bizarre comment - nearly as silly as suggesting we should sell Baines.

OT I'd sell Heitinga & Gueye, possibly Jelavic if we can get over £10 million for him.

Yes, until we buy another one before the season starts, which isn't half as bizarre as hoping to get over £10m for Jelavic.

I've never suggested we should sell Baines, but now you come to mention it...........

I'm shocked at the jags one.

Can't see why we would seek our best defender by a mile.

The guy is also our team captain and deserving of it too.

Shocking.

Heits no brainer.

Maggy no brainer.

Naismith no brainer, though shockingly he's looked one of our best players pre season haha.

Jella needs another chance.

Howard is a top class keeper and one that we haven't replaced yet.

Baines crazy, let's build not tear down.

Naismith and Gueye for me. TBH would like Heitinga to stay, know his wages are high and all but he could prove useful if we're going to be playing 3 at the back. That said I'd try tie him down for another year on top of this one, if he refuses then sell.

We bring in a manager who will get the best out of Heitinga and everyone wants rid, that's madness. Everyone knows Jags and Distin aren't suited to playing from the back or together, but no lets get rid of Heitinga because he didn't do well coming on for 10 minutes here and there.

Edited by pete0

We bring in a manager who will get the best out of Heitinga and everyone wants rid, that's madness. Everyone knows Jags and Distin aren't suited to playing from the back or together, but no lets get rid of Heitinga because he didn't do well coming on for 10 minutes here and there.

He was by far our worst defender last season but irrespective of that he wants to go and is in the last 12 months of his contract so it makes perfect sense to sell

He was by far our worst defender last season but irrespective of that he wants to go and is in the last 12 months of his contract so it makes perfect sense to sell

the contract thing i agree with, but he had little playing time because Moyes insisted on throwing Jags back in team once fit again. On form then Heitinga is easily the best defender at the club, so much more to his game than what the other two can offer, He can't just go from being player of the season to a complete zero the next, it has to have something to do with him being pulled from the team imo, He is a much better player than most Evertonians give him credit for.

Also Tim Howard, I would never call Howard a top class keeper, and as far as i can remember the last 2 seasons all people have done is complain about his very poor distribution(which is quite shocking for a top level keeper) and the fact that numerous mistakes have crept into his game, and that his position had become far to "fixed" under Moyes. Martinez clearly rates Robles very highly and imo expect him to be no1 by the end of the season. Howards days are numbered.

Edited by Simon

And you want to get rid of our best defender and the most creative player in Europe....

I hate to say it Matt, but i have a feeling Roberto doesn't share the fans mutal appreciation for Baines :( don't ask me why i just do.

how can you make that assumption ?! Hes already declared Baines an Everton idol and more or less said he is the benchmark standard!

how can you make that assumption ?! Hes already declared Baines an Everton idol and more or less said he is the benchmark standard!

I Just get a feeling Baines will be the one that goes eventually not Felli. it seems like we are going to bring that guy from Grenada regardless according to some reports, and we don't need 3 LB.

My opinion is based on the fact that he plays too many long balls. People say he is a ball playing centre back,.....but i just havent witnessed that. I witness him looking for players like Anichebe to run into a corner and chase a hopless diagonal long ball. I just cant see that fitting into a RM team.

This is just my opinion though, its just i cant see what people are seeing in him?