IGNORED

Real Madrid

Pearso

Quite pleased overall with that game. Yeah we could have played better but we're against one of if not the best team in the world.

A few players made me a bit weary i.e. Osman and Kone (I'll wait a little while before I judge Kone properly though)

Coleman was MOTM for me today, not getting forward as much as he likes but I only saw one or two crosses get past him the whole game. I remember when he started playing in RB I was shitting myself because he always looked as if he was going to give away a penalty. He's maturing into a very clever full back and a mezmorising wing back.

A decent enough game although we did give the ball away far too much and we look lost in the final third at times, not really knowing whether to go on and pass or shoot or what. Great to see Gerard though, one drop of the shoulder and the kid looks class. Still think we need a few more additions to the squad before the start of the season, but im happy for the most part at the moment.

The Good;

- Didn't look out of place against Madrid.

- We scored.

- Probably should have won based on the ref's decisions.

- I've developed a man-crush on Deulofeu.

The Bad:

- Poor passing at times.

- Caught in possession too often.

Nothing that can't be fixed. I'm still optimistic about the season. Who do we play now? Milan? Valencia? Chelsea?

As with the last match we showed some very good things - going at a top side without fear being the main thing, some good individual performances (Naismith, Mirallas, Coleman, Fellaini, Jelavic). But also some kinks in our play as well - the defence again, not quite having enough ideas in attack.

But the kinks are things that can be worked on and ironed out.

Plenty of positives to feel good about and to give reason to be confident about the coming season.

Considering it was a loss in a pre season warm up. I really enjoyed that. Lots of things to take away from the game and more positives than negatives. Need to improve with the final ball in the last third and the defenders need to concentrate at ALL times. Night

I wouldn't mind Chelsea next game, with the start of the season around the corner it will be good to get a game in against a top four team.

Good positive stuff on display tonight, passing is bound not to be crisp just yet, so a few wayward passes is all part of preseason.

Jela confidence should be good going in to the season, Kone coming will have taken the pressure off.

Something I really liked in this game and the Juve game, was the fact against top opposition we had often has 4 player in the opposition box. we are definitely going to let a few more goals in this season, but I am sure we are going to score plenty as well.

I am happy after than

Enjoyed the game. We're getting better with each game, which is a good sign. Yes, there are still too many sloppy passes, and I get nervous sometimes as we pas our way from the back, but the players are beginning to get the system and to gel. Against most of the teams in the EPL, tonight's performance, even with so many second-team players, would have won the game.

Positives: Naismith, Howard (except for the mis-kick!), Coleman, Mirallas, Jelavic.

Negatives: Heitinga (needs to leave), Osman (will be fighting for a first team place), Stones (showed his inexperience near the end)

OK, but could improve: Fellaini (I wish he'd put his heart into it!), Baines

Didn't see enough to comment: Deulofeu, Oviedo

The neat thing is that we're coming out of the pre-season with a decent squad of players. The team line-up could vary from week to week without anyone wondering why the "first team" isn't playing. There are now multiple first teams and some useful options.

Enjoyed the game. We're getting better with each game, which is a good sign. Yes, there are still too many sloppy passes, and I get nervous sometimes as we pas our way from the back, but the players are beginning to get the system and to gel. Against most of the teams in the EPL, tonight's performance, even with so many second-team players, would have won the game.

Positives: Naismith, Howard (except for the mis-kick!), Coleman, Mirallas, Jelavic.

Negatives: Heitinga (needs to leave), Osman (will be fighting for a first team place), Stones (showed his inexperience near the end)

OK, but could improve: Fellaini (I wish he'd put his heart into it!), Baines

Didn't see enough to comment: Deulofeu, Oviedo

The neat thing is that we're coming out of the pre-season with a decent squad of players. The team line-up could vary from week to week without anyone wondering why the "first team" isn't playing. There are now multiple first teams and some useful options.

Yeh I think the sooner Heits moves on the better he will be. I dont think Martinez trusts him at CB and he simply isnt good enough to play just in front of the defence.

I think Osman did ok in the end. Sloppy to start with and he did lose the ball unnecessary on a couple of occasions but he did improve. He definitely has a fight on his hands for a starting spot.

Personally I didnt think Jela was that great. He took his goal superbly and he made some very impressive runs, but like Kone, the ball just didnt stick well enough.

I also thought Fellaini did very well, especially considering who he had alongside him. I think he got caught out trying to be a little bit too positive in his runs early on but when he stayed a bit deeper he made a lot of good challenges and I dont remember him losing the ball.

MOTM for me should be one of Howard, Jags or Coleman.

Watching back on SportTV and whilst Madrid's two goals were clearly offside I think the ref was right to disallow Distin's goal. When you watch it back he puts two hands on Khedira's shoulders and propels himself up to get to the ball. Whether you agree with it or not that's against the rules..

I dont think he uses it to 'propel' himself, if you watch it back its more that his arms are resting on the player and the Madrid lad makes the most of it. As the commentators said during the game, Madrid were doing the exact same thing to us during the game and nothing happened.

I dont think he uses it to 'propel' himself, if you watch it back its more that his arms are resting on the player and the Madrid lad makes the most of it. As the commentators said during the game, Madrid were doing the exact same thing to us during the game and nothing happened.

I'm not saying that Madrid were angels. I thought over the course of the game they got most of the decisions and we didn't. All I'm saying is looking back if it was a Madrid player on one of our defenders I'd expect it to be disallowed too, whether he uses it to gain height or not he puts two hands on the players shoulders and that isn't allowed.

I'm not saying that Madrid were angels. I thought over the course of the game they got most of the decisions and we didn't. All I'm saying is looking back if it was a Madrid player on one of our defenders I'd expect it to be disallowed too, whether he uses it to gain height or not he puts two hands on the players shoulders and that isn't allowed.

Its pretty hard not to put your hands on someone though when there is the best part of 15-18 players in a 12 yard radius of the goal all attacking one ball. I dont know the official rule regarding it but I dont think is says you cant put your hands on another player.

He's gained an advantage from doing so. I don't think you're allowed to use your hands at all in the eyes of the law. I think you're allowed shoulders etc but hands have to be away from the players. It's not as hard as you say though, a well-timed jump is all you need.

Positives, they're passing the ball around well, although they need to hit it firmer, as not always reaching the target and getting intercepted too often.

Some players showing good form, such as Naismith, Mirallas, Stones, Coleman, Jagielka, Pienaar, Howard, Oviedo, Jelavic, and a few look below full power, such as Fellaini, Distin, Gibson, Baines etc.

Our defence has gone from being one of the best to one of the worst, and this concerns me.

Folk say that we won't face Madrid every week. I think City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs etc will be difficult opponents enough, and they will be rubbing their hands together at the moment at the thought of testing our new defence.

Positives, they're passing the ball around well, although they need to hit it firmer, as not always reaching the target and getting intercepted too often.

Some players showing good form, such as Naismith, Mirallas, Stones, Coleman, Jagielka, Pienaar, Howard, Oviedo, Jelavic, and a few look below full power, such as Fellaini, Distin, Gibson, Baines etc.

Our defence has gone from being one of the best to one of the worst, and this concerns me.

Folk say that we won't face Madrid every week. I think City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs etc will be difficult opponents enough, and they will be rubbing their hands together at the moment at the thought of testing our new defence.

Slight exaggeration. Because of the new style of play, we were always going to concede more goals than we did do under Moyes and dont forget, we have only played 3-4 games under this new style of play and even those games have been with different formations so it will take some getting used to.

Suprised you thought Gibson looked below par as well. I personally think he has been a stand out player in this new system, his ability to spray the ball about is exceptional, though i agree about Baines, i actually thought he was very poor against Madrid and he hasnt really done much in the other games. I think Oviedo has looked better in the games we have played.