IGNORED

Thoughts so far

Avinalaff

27 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts so far?

• Happy
    • undecided
    • unhappy

So, after the first 2 games, and 2 opponents we should be beating, we have 2 points.

What are your thoughts so far?

For me, I'm not happy with Mirallas tucked away on the right side, and think he should try the left side for a bit. Oviedo looked great in pre season, yet not so much as a sniff, and I think he could have been given a run out today at some point.

Kone has shown nothing so far to suggest he should be keeping Anichebe out of the side, and he is another who could have made an impact. Is he injured?

I'd describe my thoughts after 2 games as frustrated. How about you?

So, after the first 2 games, and 2 opponents we should be beating, we have 2 points.

For me, I'm not happy with Mirallas tucked away on the right side, and think he should try the left side for a bit. Oviedo looked great in pre season, yet not so much as a sniff, and I think he could have been given a run out today at some point.

Kone has shown nothing so far to suggest he should be keeping Anichebe out of the side, and he is another who could have made an impact. Is he injured?

2 games where we have done enough to win but for whatever reason we havent so far. The system looks solid, we have got into lots of good positions but failed to kill the game off.

Mirallas played on both the left and right today and I think the problem was that he didnt cut in enough and get involved in the play. When he did he cocked it up.

I wouldnt pick Oviedo ahead of Baines.

Kone was very good when he came on today. His link up play, work rate and ability to read the game were better than Jelavic by far. Its a shame he was playing in a side with heavy legs at that time because he looked sharp and should be given a start.

Overall yes its a frustrating start but I think that is to be expected. The changes arent going to happen overnight and we will need to be patient. The last thing we need is to start jumping on the back of the players and manager before they have even been given a chance to adapt. Its a big change from Moyes to Martinez and I think we have done well to be as cohesive as we have so far.

I was happy after the first game. Not happy after the second game.

I thought we did really well against Norwich. We created the chances to score, barely gave them anything and looked comfortably in control for the entire game. We were simply unlucky not to win that.

Today Jagielka did not look as comfortable defending all that space as he did against Norwich and he looked really unsure at times. We still didn't give up too many good chances though. But we were simply very bad going forward. All moves in the final third broke down: simple passes were off, crosses were shit, etc. We just couldn't get into their box. Pass completion in general was way down compared to the Norwich game too. I do worry a little about this: are our players capable of playing that way? Playing the passing games requires a lot more choices to be made and to be executed correctly than going long to Fellaini, passing the second ball out wide and putting a cross in. If they aren't though, I want them to be replaced, not the playing style altered.

PS: I have to say Mirallas hasn't been tucked away on the right side in either game though. He played through the middle against Norwich and he played on the left for large parts today, probably because Billy Jones might be the slowest right back in the league. Oviedo is not going to play as long as Baines is here. And I thought Koné did well today and I'd start him next game. Came to collect the ball, kept it and played it forward a couple of times.

I do think Steven Naismith should not play for Everton again. He does not have the pace or the skill of a Premier League player.

In bullet points (as I've got a headache);

- We're un-defeated.

- We've been playing great football we just need to be more clinical.

- We have a new manager, if anyone thought we would be beating teams 8-0 then they were deluded. It's going to take time.

I'm happy with Martinez. It's not as if we have started the season and been bounced each week. We've been the better team in both games we just need to stand up and be counted.

i just wonder whether the same people were unhappy last season when we ended up with the most draws in the Pl under our ex manager

The ex manager was here for over a decade and still couldn't find a new plan to help break a side down that come for a point, I'd be very surprised if we struggle as much come xmas under Martinez.

Theres absolutely nothing to be unhappy about. Think this is just a thread Avin was hoppin people would grumble on about.

Votes hasnt gone that way.

Honestly, 2 games in and we are supposed to be looking at where we are too Liverpool? Behave!!!

Most of our starting 11 have played under a totally different mentality under the previous regime. They are adjusting very well.

Im impressed with how we move to look for the ball. We look calm in possession. There are a lot of positives so far.

I also trust Martinez and his selections. He works if these players 6 days a week for several hours...I am sure that if Oviedo is good enough to play anywhere in the team, he will.

Theres absolutely nothing to be unhappy about. Think this is just a thread Avin was hoppin people would grumble on about.

Votes hasnt gone that way.

Honestly, 2 games in and we are supposed to be looking at where we are too Liverpool? Behave!!!

Most of our starting 11 have played under a totally different mentality under the previous regime. They are adjusting very well.

Im impressed with how we move to look for the ball. We look calm in possession. There are a lot of positives so far.

I also trust Martinez and his selections. He works if these players 6 days a week for several hours...I am sure that if Oviedo is good enough to play anywhere in the team, he will.

It was a genuine question Newty.

It was a genuine question Newty.

Hmmmm....I'll take your word for it Mr! Although if we are really honest, really really manly honest...it edged more towards a chance to grumble! The clues are....

'Kone is keeping Anichebe out the side'...No, Jelavic is. And when Kone comes on, he looks sharp and energetic. Probably the same in training...so maybe big Vic needs to up his effort?

'Oviedo could play anywhere in the team'...no he couldnt. And if he could, he would be.

'We are four points behind liverpool'...tongue in cheek of course, but as we all know, theres always a serious edge to such quotes.

I rest my case Sir.

A good poll topic though, but maybe more meaningful after a run of games, like 6 or so???

Hmmmm....I'll take your word for it Mr! Although if we are really honest, really really manly honest...it edged more towards a chance to grumble! The clues are....

'Kone is keeping Anichebe out the side'...No, Jelavic is. And when Kone comes on, he looks sharp and energetic. Probably the same in training...so maybe big Vic needs to up his effort?

'Oviedo could play anywhere in the team'...no he couldnt. And if he could, he would be.

'We are four points behind liverpool'...tongue in cheek of course, but as we all know, theres always a serious edge to such quotes.

I rest my case Sir.

A good poll topic though, but maybe more meaningful after a run of games, like 6 or so???

They're 'my thoughts' after 2 games Newty. Feel free to post 'your' thoughts.

I'd give some thoughts, but they'd be unprintable on these pages.

What is this anyway ? Two games into the season and one or two in a panic because we couldn't take maximum points from two opposition sides that were never going to be pushovers.

A draw at Norwich City was a very decent result and West Bromwich did very well last season and remained challenging right up until the end, but because the new manager couldn't get a win in those two games, some are getting hysterical or seeing bad things for the future etc ?

It's only two damn games into the season, and I see no real cause for concern. It's not as if we've lost both games.

And as for "Two opposition sides we should be beating", isn't that a bit of a disservice to those two teams we have played ? We got no divine right to beat anybody in this league - neither has anyone else.

I expected a tough game with Norwich and some people may have thought today - "It's West Bromwich Albion at Goodison - they may well stay behind in Smethwick and give the points to us"

I'm sorry but this is a bit of a nonsense debate. This is the sort of thread Memma Club would have inaugurated - getting in a flap with results over what seems not above trivialities.

If we still haven't won a league game after five fixtures, then by all means call for the fucking samaritans - but it appears far too premature for any of this

I'd give some thoughts, but they'd be unprintable on these pages.

What is this anyway ? Two games into the season and one or two in a panic because we couldn't take maximum points from two opposition sides that were never going to be pushovers.

A draw at Norwich City was a very decent result and West Bromwich did very well last season and remained challenging right up until the end, but because the new manager couldn't get a win in those two games, some are getting hysterical or seeing bad things for the future etc ?

It's only two damn games into the season, and I see no real cause for concern. It's not as if we've lost both games.

And as for "Two opposition sides we should be beating", isn't that a bit of a disservice to those two teams we have played ? We got no divine right to beat anybody in this league - neither has anyone else.

I expected a tough game with Norwich and some people may have thought today - "It's West Bromwich Albion at Goodison - they may well stay behind in Smethwick and give the points to us"

I'm sorry but this is a bit of a nonsense debate. This is the sort of thread Memma Club would have inaugurated - getting in a flap with results over what seems not above trivialities.

If we still haven't won a league game after five fixtures, then by all means call for the fucking samaritans - but it appears far too premature for any of this

What did you think of today's game Dalziel? Was there any specific incident that you didn't see that you would like to discuss?

Find myself in total agreement with D.Kane.

With an ounce of luck we would be celebrating 6 points, don't forget Norwich took 4 points off us last season ( And we should have won both)

a draw there is no disgrace. Today a lot of people thought West Brom would roll over and join in Roberto,s first home game spirit and hand us 3 points.

My one big complaint is why Naismith is always brought on, why oh why not Oviedo far more creative and always looking to make things happen.

And in a game like today bring Victor on for at least the last 10 minutes, go route one and just bombard their box, he has that fantastic tight turn that has paid off

so many times. Hope the lads manage to knock a few past Stevenage midweek to boost confidence a bit.

There has,nt been too much wrong and at least we have,nt lost. Moyes was,nt exactly renowned for having flying starts.

Goodison seemed primed for a party today and the expectation was a home banker but West Brom were the poopers.

Lets look forward to Cardiff , want a win there really badly being a welsh Evertonian.

Find myself in total agreement with D.Kane.

With an ounce of luck we would be celebrating 6 points, don't forget Norwich took 4 points off us last season ( And we should have won both)

a draw there is no disgrace. Today a lot of people thought West Brom would roll over and join in Roberto,s first home game spirit and hand us 3 points.

My one big complaint is why Naismith is always brought on, why oh why not Oviedo far more creative and always looking to make things happen.

And in a game like today bring Victor on for at least the last 10 minutes, go route one and just bombard their box, he has that fantastic tight turn that has paid off

so many times. Hope the lads manage to knock a few past Stevenage midweek to boost confidence a bit.

There has,nt been too much wrong and at least we have,nt lost. Moyes was,nt exactly renowned for having flying starts.

Goodison seemed primed for a party today and the expectation was a home banker but West Brom were the poopers.

Lets look forward to Cardiff , want a win there really badly being a welsh Evertonian.

So, let me figure this one out.

I state that we should have given Oviedo a chance, and also Anichebe. Dalziel, who has never watched an Everton match in his life, yet feels the need to tag on to a football forum armed with a history book and a 1950's cigarette card album for the sheer chat, totally disagrees with me. You then state that you totally 'agree' with DK, who disagreed with me, only to then reiterate everything I said regarding Oviedo and Anichebe? :dont know:

This football stuff is confusing.

I think one day DK was walking down the street and turned right, signed football, instead of left, signed Daleks and associated Dalek spotting equipment, and got carried along with the crowd.

Avinalaff.. If you have an issue with DK that's your business, I just commented on a good well put post

and I happened to agree with it. And I have no idea if he,s been to Goodison don't know the man, that was a bit of a low blow no need of it.

Ive been to watch Everton about 400 times not near enough I,d go every game if I could, but when I can afford it im there.

Im only interested in the the football issues, the personal stuff im not, although I,ll comment on posts I disagree with.

And mate I really hope you take a joke in the sense of fun it was intended not see it as an insult.

So here goes.. Have to say your crest looks like a Mosque. (Only a joke your name is avinalaff after all. all the best.

After 2 games? Frustrated, because I feel we should be beating these 2 teams. In reality, Norwich was an unlucky draw against a team that plays very good football and have reinforced their squad a fair bit. West Brom, though not much of a threat yesterday seem galvanized by their crap opening day performance, and closer to the team that impressed last season.

There are a couple of things irritating me also.

1. I've never been a fan, and rather he was sold, but Vic earned some respect and a starting position with his 2nd half of the season performances. How he has become 3rd choice doesn't compute, Jela needs dropping and Vic/Kone starting.

2. All this possession is fine and dandy, but it irritates the crap out of me! Especially when we are playing through the back when either wing doesn't work. Left is blocked? Lets pass it all the way back, across the 2 CB and up the right. Do they know they can build through the middle too?

I know we're in a transition phase, but its like we're still playing under Moyes, with the exception being tiki-taki pissing about. Even the substitutions are reminiscent of our former manager!