IGNORED

Liverpool

Cornish Steve

3 observations I made yesterday:

Delefeo (Spelling) I don't rate him he doesn't create enough for someone who gives the ball away so much.

If you accept mirrales was lucky why doesn't gerrard get booked for leading with an elbow

Firstly i would say that Gerry created three great chances. but he did give the ball away too much yes. The kid is still learning though.

Second, even as a Everton fan i have to say we were lucky to have Mirallas stay on the pitch and anyone who thinks different is deluded.

Gerrard would have had a yellow if he would have connected.... which he didnt did he?

Thirdly, i agree with this point.... Naismith is class! your right.

I'll start off by saying that I thought we were the better side throughout the game. However, in the first half I didn't think we were all that good and it looked like more of the same of what we've witnessed over the past few weeks - lots of possession but we didn't really do a thing with it. We looked extremely hesitant, like nerves were getting the better of us. For example, when there were forward balls on our players would mostly pass sideways or backwards. This gave the shite the opportunity to press us, and they played the pressing game very well. Due to this we ended up causing problems for ourselves rather than shite causing us problems. Our passing in the defensive third was quite frightening at times. We had control of the game but no penetration and it was hard to fathom just how we managed to find ourselves 2-1 behind. Well, it's not really. Awful defending was blame. That first goal could have been any game this season because we simply cannot defend from set pieces, and in every game you'll find an instance like that where we've managed to leave players free. Fortunately, we managed to equalise fairly quickly. I felt this was massively important. If we hadn't managed to hit back as soon as we did then I think the game would have been much different. Sadly, another error gifted them another goal. This time Howard was at fault. But, he has been top quality this season so I can't get too pissed off at him.

I couldn't have been prouder of our second half performance though. We were magnificent, IMO. And I'd say a large part of that is down to the introduction of our little Spanish maestro. In the first half where we looked hesitant to go forward now we looked confident and powerful. We rarely took a backward step this half, we just went at them and went at them. We were relentless. It was only through some shoddy finishing and some good goalkeeping that we weren't on equal terms sooner, or even ahead. We created chance after chance. Not just through good wing play which we're used to, but through the middle as well. We actually saw through balls being played, not just one, but a number of them. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Yes, the shite did manage to have a few chances themselves but I thought we carved them open and had the much better chances, and they weren't chances gifted to us, they were chances that we crafted. Honestly, we could have put 5 or 6 past them and it'd have been fully deserved on our part. We "only" managed to put another 2 past them, but the only disappointment is that once we managed to get ahead for the first time we couldn't hold on and conceded another goal from a set piece, and it was a stupidly given away free kick as well.

The one overriding positive of this game is that we never stopped pushing for goals. In the past if we'd gotten back to 2-2 after being behind twice then we probably would have settled for that. But not yesterday. Yesterday we had them on the ropes and we kept coming because we had the confidence in our play to know that we could open them up again and again.

The draw feels a lot like a loss because of how well we played, but I think that feeling just goes to show how far we've come already. We just need to make sure we beat Stoke next weekend now, that really is a must win. Attack like we did yesterday, though, and that won't be a problem.

Howard - At fault for the second goal, and maybe could have commanded his area a bit better throughout the game, but he also made a couple of vital saves as well.

Coleman - I'll be honest, I barely noticed him. Now, I don't know if that's because he didn't do anything of any note or if I just didn't pay him enough attention :I surrender: .

Jagielka - Easily our best defender yesterday. I thought he was very solid. He won a lot of headers and put his body on the line to make blocks all afternoon. The only criticism I have of him is that as captain he should speak up more rather than walk away and let Gerrard have free reign with the ref.

Distin - I didn't think he had a very good afternoon at all. His ball play was horrendous and could easily have led to goals. And I don't think he dealt with Suarez at all well. I'll be surprised if he gets offered another contract here tbh. As valuable as his pace is I think Martinez will value being comfortable on the ball more.

Baines - I don't think he really got much going in his 45 odd minutes on the field. Hope his injury isn't too serious, but I also hope he is out for a little spell. If for nothing more than to reinvigorate him and for him to come back full throttle. I know our first equaliser came from a ball into the box by him but I thought it was noticeable how much better our deliveries from corners etc were once he'd left the pitch and Mirallas and Deulofeu were taking them.

Mirallas - I thought he was hit and miss in the first half. He was doing all the hard work but then letting himself down with a poor pass. But he still managed to be an important player by popping up to make it 1-1. Second half I thought he was massively improved in his all round play. There were a lot less misplaced passes and he was beating his man more often too. End product is what we want from him and end product he provided by adding more assists to his tally as well. His tackle on Suarez... terrible and he was lucky to stay on the pitch. And I don't think it was an accident either. I think he wanted to take Suarez out for last season.

Barry - He had a cracking game. He closed down really well and he broke up play all game long, and then used the ball intelligently. He also acquitted himself brilliantly at LB, both defensively and providing an attacking presence.

McCarthy - I thought he started the game sloppily, nerves maybe? But as the game wore on he settled down and had an excellent game. His engine is immense, he runs and runs and doesn't seem to get tired at all. He must run on Duracell batteries. He was vital to us dominating the play in the second half because of that energy. He didn't let the shite players settle on the ball for a second and he made the right passes or runs when it was required.

Pienaar - I thought he was our best player in the first half. When others were hesitant he was always prodding and probing to try and make something happen. He was good at finding space, as usual, and he did as much with the ball as he could do. And of course he worked his arse off. Second half he was more of a cog in the wheel because other players stepped up to the plate but all in all an impressive performance from him.

Barkley - I was totally unimpressed with his first half showing. I thought he was massively wasteful. His passing was shoddy, his shooting was wayward, he was caught in possession too often (I felt he was one of our most hesitant players) and his decision making was shocking. I felt like tearing my hair out. Second half, though, he was brilliant. He'd upped his game hugely. There was no hesitancy to his play, he was confident in possession and powerful with it. He drove forward with the ball time after time. His shooting was still pretty shit but his passing was crisp, he kept hold of the ball much better and his decision making improved a lot too - he played the right passes and made things happen. That second half performance gets me excited, it had it all.

Lukaku - So poor in the first half. It wasn't all his fault as I thought the service provided to him wasn't great but he just didn't look up for it whatsoever, he was just coasting through and allowing himself to be shepherded the their defence. Second half he was like a different player and showed just what he's all about. A large part of that was down to the improved service and support play but now he looked like he had fire in his belly. He was bullying and hustling, his touch improved, he won more aerial duels, he linked up well. But most importantly he finished off chances when they dropped to him. Great finish for his first and a monstrous header for his second. If his finishing had been better he could have had 3 or 4 goals!

Deulofeu - My MOTM. I really felt that he changed the game for us when he came on. He epitomised positive play. You'll be hard pushed to find him go backwards with the ball. His first thought was always to attack, attack, attack. Make something happen. Create an opening. Get the ball in the box, whether at his feet by running or by delivering the ball to those waiting. Yes, he was greedy at times and he gave the ball away but he created chances, he caused the shite endless problems, he tore Flanagan apart with the utmost ease. The skill and ability he showed, and at pace, was on another level. His close control is phenomenal. He was brilliant at using his quick feet to go past 2 or 3 players. The reason he's my MOTM isn't just because of what he actually contributed himself, but just as much for the effect he had on other players in our side. I really feel as though his positivity rubbed off on the likes of Barkley, Mirallas and Lukaku. The more he showed, the more they showed as well. He was confident so they were confident. You now had Mirallas and Barkley playing with a swagger to match his, and this in turn gave Lukaku the service and platform he needed to produce the goods. It was like a snowball.

Edited by Romey 1878

2 wrongs don't make a right. We shouldn't be stooping to their level and I for one am ashamed of Mirallas. So lucky to stay on the pitch, Dowd did us a massive favour.

It was probably a red but I don't think it was intentional so he wasn't stooping to Suarez's level.....he had his eyes shut so he didn't know what he was doing.

on the tackle debate. why is rodgers incinuating that the decision would have been different if nasher would have made that tackle. i'm sure rodgers was there when suarez went through the back off mirralles last year without being punished and sinking his teeth into someone, again, without being punished and going through a wigan player last year, again, without being punished...not to mention the numerous dives he hasnt been punished for, and the blatant dive to get rodwell sent off. if the shoe was in the other foot, the outcome would be exactly the same

go fuck ya secretary rodgers!!!!!

on the tackle debate. why is rodgers incinuating that the decision would have been different if nasher would have made that tackle. i'm sure rodgers was there when suarez went through the back off mirralles last year without being punished and sinking his teeth into someone, again, without being punished and going through a wigan player last year, again, without being punished...not to mention the numerous dives he hasnt been punished for, and the blatant dive to get rodwell sent off. if the shoe was in the other foot, the outcome would be exactly the same

go fuck ya secretary rodgers!!!!!

Or this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR87sm9vc5k

Barkley - I was totally unimpressed with his first half showing. I thought he was massively wasteful. His passing was shoddy, his shooting was wayward, he was caught in possession too often (I felt he was one of our most hesitant players) and his decision making was shocking. I felt like tearing my hair out. Second half, though, he was brilliant. He'd upped his game hugely. There was no hesitancy to his play, he was confident in possession and powerful with it. He drove forward with the ball time after time. His shooting was still pretty shit but his passing was crisp, he kept hold of the ball much better and his decision making improved a lot too - he played the right passes and made things happen. That second half performance gets me excited, it had it all.

I thought he was by far the best player on the pitch in the first half. His touch was other worldly imo. He also gave just two bad passes in the first half compared to five in the second half btw. He was dispossessed once and turned it over once all game while succesfully dribbling someone 4 times and being fouled once. Deulofeu dribbled someone 5 times, but was dispossessed twice and turned it over three times so he was really much more sloppy.

I thought he was by far the best player on the pitch in the first half. His touch was other worldly imo. He also gave just two bad passes in the first half compared to five in the second half btw. He was dispossessed once and turned it over once all game while succesfully dribbling someone 4 times and being fouled once. Deulofeu dribbled someone 5 times, but was dispossessed twice and turned it over three times so he was really much more sloppy.

Shut up, Steve :P.

You know what's so impressive? We're discussing whether Deulofeu, Barkley, or Lukaku played the most brilliantly in the second half. The oldest of the three is just 20 years old! And I chose McCarthy as MOTM because of his consistency and non-stop energy, and he's not much older.

Exciting times :).

I thought McCarthy and barkley were immense and made Gerrard look very old in that midfield. I think the lukaku equaliser gives us a real insight into how Roberto wants us to play

I actually think that the Liverpool Physio did us a favour... what he did was so wrong and clearly tried to tell the ref it was a red card... Clearly the reaction of our players said it all.

Now based on the ref hearing the physio tell him how to do his job and the players being aware of this - did he think "I can't be seen to give a red card now as it will cause controversy"

I think this may have gone in our favour. Still want the physio charged though.

I actually think that the Liverpool Physio did us a favour... what he did was so wrong and clearly tried to tell the ref it was a red card... Clearly the reaction of our players said it all.

Now based on the ref hearing the physio tell him how to do his job and the players being aware of this - did he think "I can't be seen to give a red card now as it will cause controversy"

I think this may have gone in our favour. Still want the physio charged though.

Had the same thought.

Haf - That is hilarious.

Its abundantly clear that the players reacted to the Physio trying to influence the ref. One thing I love about the attitude of our players is that they don't surround the ref when decisions go for and against us, for them to react like that, something must have upset them.

That guy is a complete weapon and doesn't deserve such an awesome name (even if he spells wrong).