IGNORED

Liverpool

Cornish Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rusty747

My concern is McCarthy. If he gets a yellow card at Palace he is suspended. With Gibbo out that would leave us very light in the centre mid. I would consider benching McCarthy for the Palace game and starting with Barry and Ossie in CM, Ross AM, Peanus left, Gerry right. Ossie and Gerry then get their chance to play their way into the starting XI, McCarthy avoids suspension and Mirallas gets a well deserved kick up the ass.

My concern is McCarthy. If he gets a yellow card at Palace he is suspended. With Gibbo out that would leave us very light in the centre mid. I would consider benching McCarthy for the Palace game and starting with Barry and Ossie in CM, Ross AM, Peanus left, Gerry right. Ossie and Gerry then get their chance to play their way into the starting XI, McCarthy avoids suspension and Mirallas gets a well deserved kick up the ass.

Very good point, although I doubt Martinez will think of it like that. He will want what he perceives is his strongest 11 to start every game. The best way round it would be to score 6 in the first half and then take McCarthy off when the jobs done :)

Why was this game thread started four weeks before the actual match in question ? Do you have a roll eyes animation thing.

Reading through again, it appears the author was making a simple observation that somehow ended up in an inappropriate place, and even then why the need for a standalone thread to accompany it ? All that was needed was to include in the general soccer index such as the 'Liverpool thread'

It's no good getting irritated but will simply await for the time in question to participate further on this game. Crystal Palace is up next, so one thing at a time.

I understand that Luis Suarez may not be available for our game against Liverpool because he'll be needed for Uruguay's World Cup qualification play-off game next month against Jordan.

First leg is in Jordan on 13th July and the second in Uruguay on the 20th; so he'll be back and presumably available for the 23rd, though hopefully a bit jet lagged :)!

After todays shambles I am absolutely bricking it. I can honestly see us getting a good hiding in the derby

Why? Granted we were awful today but Liverpool aren't very good. They've had a pretty easy run so far and the time they played a decent side they got tonked. Granted they look great against rubbish teams but Derbys are a different matter. We will be ok. We will be up for it and Barry and McCarthy will I've us a good platform. Drop Ossie and Kev and let the lads prove themselves

Why? Granted we were awful today but Liverpool aren't very good. They've had a pretty easy run so far and the time they played a decent side they got tonked. Granted they look great against rubbish teams but Derbys are a different matter. We will be ok. We will be up for it and Barry and McCarthy will I've us a good platform. Drop Ossie and Kev and let the lads prove themselves

Because the likes of Suarez and Sturridge only need one chance to score and if our current form continues we are likely to give them at least six chance's on a platter

Liverpool away results:

Arsenal 2 - 0

Aston Villa 0 - 1

Newcastle 2 - 2

Sunderland 1 - 3

Swansea 2 - 2

I'm expecting a win based on their form. Defend the counters well, and hopefully get a decent ref who won't put up with any antics and it should be an easy three points.

Liverpool away results:

Arsenal 2 - 0

Aston Villa 0 - 1

Newcastle 2 - 2

Sunderland 1 - 3

Swansea 2 - 2

I'm expecting a win based on their form. Defend the counters well, and hopefully get a decent ref who won't put up with any antics and it should be an easy three points.

I hope you're right and we're definitely good enough to beat them. We've looked quite vulnerable to quick counter attacks though despite not conceding many and the rs will try to exploit that. And a decent ref at the derby? Just won't happen, it will be another rs lover as usual.

I do think we'll bounce back - because it's a derby game, it's at home, and the passion will return. I can see Martinez making some significant changes from this week's starting line-up, including full games for Barkley and Deulofeu. The latter might really take off, because ego-wise he wants to really shine on the bigger stage.

Guest blueboy122

I do unfortunately, just feel they will have to much going forward for us to handle. It'll be the usual we won't turn up against Liverpool gift them a goal and it will all go horribly wrong with Suarez & Sturridge forming an orderly que.

Maybe Martinez can give us some hope...

this is going to be a tough match, but it's home so hopefully the crowd really gets behind us. if we can neutralize suarez, i think we can have a go at it. i really want a win badly, but realistically a draw wouldn't be terrible for roberto's first derby.

i'd like to see this lineup

howard

coleman jags distin baines

mccarthy barry

delafeu barkley pienaar

lukaku

super subs : osman, mirallas

this is going to be a tough match, but it's home so hopefully the crowd really gets behind us. if we can neutralize suarez, i think we can have a go at it. i really want a win badly, but realistically a draw wouldn't be terrible for roberto's first derby.

i'd like to see this lineup

howard

coleman jags distin baines

mccarthy barry

delafeu barkley pienaar

lukaku

super subs : osman, mirallas

Replace Pienaar with Naismith (specifically for this game), and I'm with you.

Gerrard & Sturridge 'injured' for England's friendlies just after they've been running round like a couple of bunnies on crack a couple of days before. Now that's just a fucking coincidence isn't it!

Who the sweet fuck do these people think they are? It's a shame England are so shite as a nation when it comes to football (among other things) as it would be good if they could be left out of the World Cup because Roy couldn't be arsed to pick them.

As much as I love Naisy's passion and spirit, he's not suited to playing in midfield. If we can commit him as a second striker, then that's a different story, I suppose. And, I would consider that. But his passing and vision are lackluster, to say the least. Also, he's the number our candidate, in my mind, for a red card. He gets a little bit carried away (see: his elbows against Serbia and Dunfermline).

No, brings the understated same old pessimistic Everton... You don't see Liverpool swapping coutinho for Allen do ya? No, they will go all out attack, and there the away team...

I thought we had progressed to the next level.... You can have all the passion a club requires but if ya veal ya deal.... If people think naismith is a good choice then they won't mind osman getting a starting place ahead if Barkley then will they... More experience in derby's and a true blue. Can't get more passion than that.

No, we'd all be pissed if osman started.

Im not too worried tbh I think it has the makings of a cracking game!

Sturridge and Suarez can be contained and I'm sure Martinez is watching videos of the Arsenal performance to see how. Part of the problem is that defenders fear them and that gets in the way of their judgment and a split second hesitation is all they need to punish the opposition.

If there is a time to move to 5 at the back then this could be it. We need to create as many angles and opportunities to move the ball forward as we can because I can see Liverpool defending quite aggressively. Moving Coleman out of the line of fire slightly wouldnt be a bad decision either.

Im not sure if he will start in the game but their new French CB (Sakho) looks like he can be exposed and pulled out of position fairly easily (at this level) and getting the likes of Mirallas/Gerry/Pienaar/Naismith to run in behind him would probably work quite well.

I would start with a team a like this:

---------------Howard

-----Stones - Jags - Distin

Coleman -------------- Baines

------McCarthy ----- Barry

---Mirallas--Lukaku--Pienaar/Barkley

I remember when Maloney used to play under Martinez in this formation he was more or less given free reign to roam wherever he wanted when he had the ball, so Im sure Barkley could play there. Similarly he used to use McManaman to support Kone and stay wide to attack the LB which is also the type of role Mirallas would excel in. I think its a shame we have only really seen this once it preseason and at the end of the LC match.