IGNORED

Liverpool

Cornish Steve

PLAYER REACTION Everton 3-3 Liverpool

Everton striker Romelu Lukaku: "That is the best experience I've ever had in club football. It's a pity we didn't win but hopefully we will next time."

Chances of him staying here +1

He should have scored when we had that 4 on 2 though! :shaking fist:

Exactly what I unfortunately forecasted - Everton needs to work on their set pieces and also on their discipline not to concede so many dangerous free kicks -

the moment Osman came on we went with our backs against the wall - he certainly does not strengthen any defensive and or holding play

Osman coming on had nothing to do with us conceding. We don't need a scapegoat for every point we lose, good game from all of the boys. I'm proud.

I do agree that Roberto needs to spend some time on set piece drills this week. We've been pretty bad at them all season.

Edited by Steve_E

rodgers says " i was unhappy with us playing too many long balls".......hahahaha oh how the tables have turned... more possession, better chances, better play... big up for roberto and his newbee.

gutted we lost it at the end, cant go through a game like that again, gotta tighten up at the back on set pieces and be more dominant in the air.. pretty much pleased with everything else.

if mirralas played like he does in derbies for every other game, we'd win the title.

so happy that we havnt played smaller teams off the park to revert to type when the bigger teams come. really played them off the park at times.

The reason I am creaming myself for our style if play is because we will have consistancy for years to come... When you play direct you will have short term success but once found out your fucked.

If you play robertos way, u can loan as many players as possible cause once everyone has the right mindset of the way to play, we should never really struggle. (If the defence is right)

Keep dominating lads coyb!

Guest rusty747

Defence was poor all match. Poor challenge, poor marking and poor organisation for their first. Poor wall for their second. Stupid and unnecessary free kick conceded by Distin for their third which we then defended poorly. In between all that, Allen should have scored and Moses should have won it for them at the end - all because of poor defending. We had plenty of opportunities to put the game away but our forwards bottled it in promising situations as well. Gerry could have scored 2, Lakaku fluffed his lines when he should have put Mirallas through one on one. Plenty of other examples. I'm sure it was a great game for the neutral but we aren't neutral are we? Really pees me off to look so good in a game but not get the result we deserve because of schoolboy errors in defence and a lack of composure in attack. Get those 2 aspects of our game sorted and Champions League next season is definitely on. Fail to do that and mid table beckons.

For Everton fans, it's a shame to see us give away 3 goals off of set pieces and none from open play, to not have taken more of our chances/Mignolet not been brilliant, and to squander a lead in the 89th minute.

For Liverpool fans, they'd think Mirallas should've been sent off and Joe Allen should've made it 3-1 early in the second half, which would've put us in a bad spot.

All in all, I really wish we would've won, but it was a thrilling match, and my nerves are still going.

For Everton fans, it's a shame to see us give away 3 goals off of set pieces and none from open play, to not have taken more of our chances/Mignolet not been brilliant, and to squander a lead in the 89th minute.

For Liverpool fans, they'd think Mirallas should've been sent off and Joe Allen should've made it 3-1 early in the second half, which would've put us in a bad spot.

All in all, I really wish we would've won, but it was a thrilling match, and my nerves are still going.

This, I'm still full of adrenaline.

thank fuck that's over for another year

martinez has cleared every doubt i had of him though today..it was 2-2 and we had 4 players in their half when they were attacking us..on another day we would have battered them..set piece defending poor yes but shit happens and all that..we scored from 3 set pieces too so that's a positive..the whole feeling was better today..we looked like we belong(which we do) and we knew it

Edited by marcopaulo

With regards to the set pieces, I dont think we defended them that badly on the whole but it is still something we should be working on. First goal was someone falling asleep, second was Howard not sorting his wall properly which is absolute schoolboy stuff and something Howard knows how to do and the 3rd was a fantastic ball, that you will struggle to defend unless you are in that exact spot. Maybe a bit more pressure on the scorer would have helped but sometimes you just have to applaud the quality of the delivery.

My one bug bear with the game would fall to the last substitution as I felt they took away some of our impetus. I think they played into our hands when they brought Sturridge on as we could move to the 5 and see it out on the counter but we took off our pace (Mirallas - Although understandable as on a yellow) and moved Barkley wider (who was having a stormer and very effectively retaining possession). Lukaku, Deulofeu and Mirallas had the Liverpool back 4 in the palm of their hand on the counter and I do think Martinez would have kept them 3 together had Mirallas not have been walking a bit of a disciplinary tight rope. We ideally needed some pace to bring on but we didnt have any on the bench. We gave away too many sloppy balls at the end when we should have had an easier option, and IMO that last substitution contributed to it.

We also didn't have an actual left back on the bench so he was kinda forced into it.

i disagree Roberto could have brought stones or heitenga on and pushed dystin to left back, I thought it was a really bold decision

I thpught we were outstanding today, granted fending was a bit dodgy but it's a derby and these one off games happen. I was an amazing game and for me that's what I'm so happy about. No sitting back and holding what we have we went for it and the game could have ended 6-6. We had seventeen shots on goal I think and our attacking and passing play was great. We played the better football and didn't try to play on the counter. If suarez wasn't playing for them we would have won convincingly as he is truly world class, so many positives to take and I think it interesting to see us without Bainsey in the second half. I thought James McCarthy and Ross barkley were so impressive today

After a game like this, maybe it's a good time to reassess the structure of the team. First, and most importantly, the midfield is both solid and creative. In Barry, McCarthy, and Barkley, we have a core that can potentially control any game. Up-front, today was quite revealing. The Lukaku, Mirallas, Deulofeu partnership show a lot of promise - an impressive combination of power and speed. While the defence has been quite solid this season (plenty of clean sheets), I don't have the same confidence there. It will help when the Baines situation is resolved and when Alcaraz is available, and Stones remains on the periphery for now. Maybe this is where we need to splash the cash in January, to bring in a strong and young presence to take ownership of the defence. Add to that the need for a tricky winger (which, from all the transfer rumours, it seems is a priority for RM), and we have the makings of a Champions League team.

It's taking time, but the team is beginning to gel. It was so encouraging to read Lukaku's comment about the game. It seems the players are really enjoying themselves right now.

After a game like this, maybe it's a good time to reassess the structure of the team. First, and most importantly, the midfield is both solid and creative. In Barry, McCarthy, and Barkley, we have a core that can potentially control any game. Up-front, today was quite revealing. The Lukaku, Mirallas, Deulofeu partnership show a lot of promise - an impressive combination of power and speed. While the defence has been quite solid this season (plenty of clean sheets), I don't have the same confidence there. It will help when the Baines situation is resolved and when Alcaraz is available, and Stones remains on the periphery for now. Maybe this is where we need to splash the cash in January, to bring in a strong and young presence to take ownership of the defence. Add to that the need for a tricky winger (which, from all the transfer rumours, it seems is a priority for RM), and we have the makings of a Champions League team.

It's taking time, but the team is beginning to gel. It was so encouraging to read Lukaku's comment about the game. It seems the players are really enjoying themselves right now.

I wouldn't spend too much in January, it's more important that we have means available in the summer when we need to sign a top striker to replace Lukaku. Sign a couple of kids (like the Dundee United ones) that might pan out in the long term and perhaps sign a left back if Baines goes.

Great game, wasn't too arsed about the result- well that's a lie but you know where I'm coming from.

This was a massive acid test for me regarding Martinez and his stewardship - he came through brilliantly. I was anticipating tension, lumped balls, hanging on etc etc. Not now, new era, new boss. Had Liverpool fans tell me that we played great football and resembled nothing like the fellaini/cahill targeting era.

Overall a win would have been deserved but the performance warranted praise alone. Great stuff.

Incidentally, my son (who, because of where he lives, had to watch the game at 5:30am in a local bar), who is a Liverpool fan, felt that this was perhaps the most entertaining game he's seen in a long while. It had everything: very open game, end-to-end play, chances galore, goals, misses, controversy, great play, frustrating play... right to the final whistle. He told me afterwards that he felt himself wanting Everton to win because, like me, he's a big fan of Martinez' style of management. He stayed a while to watch the Arsenal-Southampton game and left because, in comparison, it was so boring!