IGNORED

Spurs

Finn balor

Late to this. Thought we were largely pegged back by a solid looking Spurs in the first half but looked the more likely to win it at the end. Ours a better shout for a penno than theirs but my man Seamus is too honest. Needs some lessons from the Ashley Coles and Youngs of this world < shakes head>

McCarthy and Distin my standout players. Mirallas is a powder puff < brushed off like a baby at times> - and he exposes whoever he plays in front of - in this case young Seamus. Thought Gerrard Depardu did a lot better job at stifling Vertogen to be fair. A good point.

Edited by weebittight

Brilliant post Nikica. Some very good points there, but I would say that our defence has been playing very well (Wet sham game aside) , AVB likes this high line with Lloris acting as Sweeper, this leaves us open to a ball over the top with a Quick striker on to it ala West ham, but there is too much probing, and side and back passes, in most of our games we have had more possession but created few chances. The Everton back 4 will not be troubled too much tomorrow unless Baines puts his boots on the wrong feet (here's hoping ) Midfield is the Key area Dembele and Paulinho will probably start, and Everton will need to bypass themto get any Joy, even at Goodison I would let spurs come onto you then a well placed pass into the gaping hole for Lukaku to run onto 3-0 Everton

Thanks mate, I hope your team starts clicking soon and we start to see some top quality football from youse. I know the players and manager have it in them. You should probably have got a draw against Newcastle but Krul was in inspired form.

The thing is that Spurs over the last while have played a very fast, attacking flat style with flying wingers and midfielders whose primary job is to cover for full-backs on the overload whilst offering little creativity themselves (Sandro, Parker etc). I realise Spurs traditionally play this sort of style, but Villas-Boas is transitioning to more of a possession-orientated game, as you say. The full-backs are still prominent but you're now playing with false wingers (hence why Lennon has been tried on the left on occasion) who can come inside and link up with the trequartista in the middle i.e. Holtby or Eriksen. That's obviously also why AVB likes Lloris as the sweeper-keeper and ball- playing defenders like Verthogen and Dawson, as they can hold the high line you suggest and make the whole team more compressed and hence more effective in terms of short passing. This style can make a team susceptible to pacey counters because the centre mids are expected to provide some craft themselves, and if the team loses the ball when trying to break down a defence the mids can be caught out of position and the defence is playing a risky game as a pacey striker can get in on the 'keeper. That's why guys like Dembele, Paulinho and even Capoue seem have been preferred and/or brought in - I'm thinking that Boas sees them as more trustworthy in the middle under pressure than the likes of Sandro is and Parker was, and that sort of midfielder is integral to the way a team like yours plays - they're arguably the most important component due to the triangle they create with the number 10 - they have the ability to take a man out of the game with a turn which then opens up avenues for the playmakers. It's interesting to see Remy played on the shoulder for most of the game the other day, and his goal actually came from exactly what I describe - one of the CMs (was it Paulinho?) lost the ball in the middle third and Cabaye (I think) played a quickfire ball to Remy who was in on goal. Yours is a risky style to play but it is capable of reaping unbelievable rewards, especially when an overload of attackers gives many options to create opportunities and passing lanes for a predator like Soldado, who can finish crosses and through balls. The problem is that it's not working in practice right now, and I suspect that's because everyone has did their homework and know exactly how you will try and play.

The above is how I see your style at the moment anyway - the intentions are good, the style of play is brave (in terms of the risk/reward dynamic) and to be admired, but it's just not happening...yet.

I actually fell asleep and missed this game after looking forward to it, but from the highlights it didn't seem too interesting a game anyway. Lloris should probably have been subbed off after his concussion, but I suppose a doctor is more qualified to make that call than we are. It still seemed a risk though. I was very disappointed in AVB's comments after the game as Lukaku doesn't seem the sort to deliberately injure another player. He's more clumsy than malicious.

Sorry for posting about an older game here, I just wanted to acknowledge Paul's post and offer some friendly words for future.

Edited by Nikica