IGNORED

Swansea

markjazzbassist

I think that was the worst performance I have seen in a while by Everton. We just didn't look up to it. We were using our long ball tactics again, whether this was Martinez changing the style and trying something different but the amount of times I seen Distin hoof the ball up to Lukaku and then Lukaku losing it.

We didn't play well and I think we were lucky to get the win to be honest. People might disagree with me but this was not the Everton we have been grown accustomed to, this was an Everton who didn't seem to know how to play football and liked the old fashioned Moyes era of hoofball.

I think that was the worst performance I have seen in a while by Everton. We just didn't look up to it. We were using our long ball tactics again, whether this was Martinez changing the style and trying something different but the amount of times I seen Distin hoof the ball up to Lukaku and then Lukaku losing it.

We didn't play well and I think we were lucky to get the win to be honest. People might disagree with me but this was not the Everton we have been grown accustomed to, this was an Everton who didn't seem to know how to play football and liked the old fashioned Moyes era of hoofball.

I don't think it was quite that bad. And we played much worse against Palace, that was horrendous!

One thing about Martinez is that he develops a distinct game plan for each match. He doesn't just put out the same team and expect them to play the same way week in and week out. He used to play for Swansea, and he managed Swansea. Clearly, he believed a plan quite different from the Emirates was needed. All credit to him, because we won. It may have looked different, but that was the point.

I have watched the game again and I think a few of us are getting a little bit carried away with our expectations for this team to say the least!

First half we pretty much completely nullified a good Swansea team. We stopped them dominating possession (I think they average over 60% at home usually) and we forced them into mistakes and should have profited from one of them. We didnt create a lot because we were a little sluggish moving the ball and we didnt make the most of the opportunities we found ourselves in.

Second half we started a little slowly but we really piled on the pressure right up until we scored. We created 3 or 4 good chances (or at least good position until we cocked up the final ball) and Barkley hit the bar too. Again Swansea werent doing much with the ball at this stage. After we scored we did get a little sloppy and whilst there goal was fortuitous they were starting to look like they were going to get one back. Once we scored again I think both sides could have grabbed another but we did enough to get the win.

We played well without being anywhere near our best. We arent going to play champagne football against sides like Swansea but we still more than enough to create the better chances and better goal scoring opportunities/positions. They might have had more possession but we were a lot more threatening on the whole and we did play some nice football at times as well.

When another teams wants to stand toe to toe we will really show how well we can play, but that's not going to happen every game.