IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers (FA Cup)

markjazzbassist

Anyone know what Cesar said to Jelavic after he hit the bar on that penalty?

I don't think keepers like being chipped too much so I assume it wasn't anything too pleasant.

seemed to be a joke, good spirits. If I was Cesar, I'd be telling him it served him right!

That was an utterly dominant performance. We completely controlled the game right from the first whistle to the last. It’ll be one of the easiest games we’ll ever play in all honesty. We passed the ball extremely well, especially at the back, and that allowed us to control the game. We owned the ball. I thought we upped the tempo when we needed to and it looked like we could open them up at will. Scoring 6 or 7 wouldn’t have flattered us in the slightest – we had over 30 shots! We played with a swagger that was so pleasing to see. We knew we were better than QPR and the players were determined to show that. It was a case of, “this is our patch, The School of Science, now prepare to be schooled”. People have said that QPR were shite but, to be honest, it’s hard to judge what QPR were like because we simply did not allow them to get involved in the game. As soon as they got the ball we were on them and had the ball back before you could blink.

As well as controlling the game I thought we were very controlled in ourselves. Not at any point during the game did we really exert ourselves; we had plenty of gears we could have gone through if it had been needed. But we didn’t, we got the job done in a thoroughly professional way. That’s the pleasing thing; we put on a master class and we weren’t even at our optimum.

Sin Miedo.

Robles – His kicking has improved from his last outing.

Coleman – In the first half I thought he was a bit on the quiet side for what he’s shown in recent weeks. But as the game went on he became more and more influential and his high confidence really shone through. He destroyed their left back, Traore, time after time. It was almost unfair to ask Traore to defend against him. And he added to his impressive goal tally with another magnificent finish.

Stones – It’s hard to believe he’s in not his late 20’s and been playing at this level for a long time. His composure with the ball belied his age and experience. Austin is a big bloke but Stones was totally unruffled. He is the perfect defender for a Martinez side. Often there wouldn’t be anything on and instead of launching the ball he’d make there be a pass for him. It wasn’t just his passing that was impressive though. He brought the ball forward so well, and the one highlight for me was when Coleman had been caught up the pitch and they were coming at us and he races back, slide tackles and hooks the ball to him, calmly gets up and passes the ball to a blue shirt. The boy is only going to get better with age too!

Alcaraz – Another extremely impressive performance from him. Like Stones he was so calm and collected in possession and he sniffed out every threat that was around him too. The one blight on his game was when he woefully under hit a back pass and QPR could have ruined our clean sheet.

Oviedo – Once again showed why he should only play LB and not LW. A fantastic attacking showing from him. All game long he was a massive threat and gave their RB endless problems. He didn’t have anything to worry about defensively because we controlled the game so when he got the ball he just attacked, attacked, attacked. He could have got himself a goal, he added another assist to his name and he won the penalty. Those facts just highlight his potency from yesterday.

Naismith – He put in a really good shift and he did look good in patches. But he was also quite frustrating in that he’d do all the hard work and it’d look like something was on but then his complete lack of pace would ruin it all.

McCarthy – Flawless. I really believe that he was the main reason why we so completely dominated this game. He was on them as soon as they had the ball, harrying them to death like a fly you can’t swat. He didn’t give them a moments peace and he either won the ball from their players or pressured them in to giving the ball back to us. His passing was exemplary, which allowed us to have so much control in the game. And his awareness of everything around him was excellent – whenever Stones went forward with the ball he automatically dropped back into central defence. He’s such an unselfish player, a real team player. My MOTM.

Barry – Where McCarthy was more proactive and harrying the opposition, Barry was more willing to sit in and just mop up whatever spills where in his area. He was no less important or effective to our performance though.

Barkley – I thought for much of the first half he struggled to adjust to being out wide, and even though he scored he didn't get into the game very much. The second half was a completely different story though. As the game wore on he became more confident in his position and his influence on our play only grew and grew. It probably helped that he didn't have to be disciplined in his defensive duties. But at times he crapped all over QPR and toyed with them. Some of his runs right at the heart of them were frightening. And his finish for his goal... sublime

Osman – Nothing spectacular from Ossie but he had a really good game, apart from his shooting! He was a great link man between the midfield and Jelavic, which made Jelavic’s afternoon a fairly comfortable one.

Jelavic – A great all round performance from him I thought. He worked so hard all game long, he linked up well with every one around him, he brought others into the game. The goals were the reward he deserved for what he put into that game. What a fantastic finish for his first goal and then perfect poaching skills for his second one. It’s just a shame he was an arse with the penalty because a hat-trick would have just topped it all off.

Edited by Romey 1878

Bryan got 2 assists plus the pen, didnt he? Barkley and Jelas first. I really think he should be keeping his starting position, as should our 2 DCs at this rate. Completely agree with the rest of the write up...

I'd forgot about him being the one who had passed to Barkley actually, thanks for reminding me!

From what the excellent ITV managed to feature last night, managed to catch highlights of the game and all said, a fine comprehensive result and feel hopeful the club can go a long way this year and finally bring home a trophy after so many years away. The FA Cup would be a fine way to begin. Pleased Jelavic got back on the scene, seemed a collective effort, and with Stevenage Borough as next opposition, got to be hopeful we can once again reach a fifth round place. When was the last time a manager won successive FA cups with two different club sides ? Unable to recall right now, but if martinez can do it, it would be a great achievement.

From what the excellent ITV managed to feature last night, managed to catch highlights of the game and all said, a fine comprehensive result and feel hopeful the club can go a long way this year and finally bring home a trophy after so many years away. The FA Cup would be a fine way to begin. Pleased Jelavic got back on the scene, seemed a collective effort, and with Stevenage Borough as next opposition, got to be hopeful we can once again reach a fifth round place. When was the last time a manager won successive FA cups with two different club sides ? Unable to recall right now, but if martinez can do it, it would be a great achievement.

I don't think it's ever been done before.

on the evertonfc.com website they have a 19 minute highlight video of the match you can watch.