IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers (FA Cup)

markjazzbassist

The festive period is coming to an end and we've seen a lot of matches in a short amount of time. This match will be interesting because QPR is looking good in the championship and should be in the premiership next year. I'm hoping for a strong lineup since we'll have a solid week off between the next match. Although I imagine Roberto will field a rotated lineup to give some rest and to give some other players a chance. Here's what I think we'll do, not what I'd like for us to do.

Joel

Stones Alcaraz Distin Oviedo

McCarthy Barry

Naismith Osman Mirallas

Jelavic/Vellios (not sure if Jela will be transferred by then)

I can see Barkley, Pienaar, and Lukaku coming on if we aren't winning in the second half.

Strongest team for me. When we go 3 or 4 up then we can make changes. Too many times in the past I've seen us play a weakened team then go one down and try to chase a game. By this time the weaker team is full of confidence and defending for their lives. Lukaku hasn't been full throttle for a few games now but I think this could be used as a confidence booster.

Guest rusty747

Remember that RM is defending the FA Cup that he won with Wigan last year. I think that he will, quite rightly, name almost his strongest team and make changes when the game is won after about 55 mins.

Robles

Coleman Alcaraz Distin Baines/oviedo

Barry McCarthy

Mirallas Barkley/Osman Pienaar

Lukaku/jelavic

Remember that RM is defending the FA Cup that he won with Wigan last year. I think that he will, quite rightly, name almost his strongest team and make changes when the game is won after about 55 mins.

I think that's a really dangerous assumption and I certainly hope the players don't have that attitude, because if they do then we'll lose. QPR at their best are premier league quality (although they've been on a slightly dodgy run over Christmas) and they'll be really up for this. I'd take a scrappy 1-0.

That is exactly the same attitude we had when Moyes was manager. Thinking it was an easy game and there for the taking and then end up losing or drawing. If we go in like that against QPR then we will be in for a surprise. We have to be at our best to beat them.

They are an attacking side under HR and will play quick attacking football and they know that they can exploit us when our defence isn't at its best with the likes of Jags and Distin both out. (I do believe in Stones and Alcaraz but we are missing Jags and Distin at the moment).

It will be a tough game but if we play our full strength squad then we can do it. COYB :)

another point is a lot of people have been thinking a scrappy win against Southampton and an away point at Stoke are good results for us, with this in mind do we really think we are going to rolling over a good QPR side? i think this will be tougher than we think. They will be coming with the scent of an upset.

We will need a strong team to turn up and hit them from the start, stamp our authority and never let them get a foothold.

Let Barkley mkae up for his tiny mistake against them last time and show what he is really made of.

Id like to see a strong team, but not our strongest. Oviedo in for Baines, Robles in for Howard, Ossie and Naismith in too. Jela to get 30mins at the end. Thats not a weak team by any stretch.

Depending if Distin is fit again, Id be tempted by 3-2-1-3-1 :

....................Robles....................

.........Stones Alcaraz Distin........

Coleman.......................... Oviedo

....................McCarthy..................

Mirallas ........Ossie .........Naismith

.....................Lukaku....................

Edited by Matt

You're thinking of Blackburn. QPR was the first game of that season and I think Ross was our MOTM.

Yes that's right. Appologies.

I knew there was a reason the QPR match stuck in my mind. I have just out two and two together and came up Golum holding Barkley back haha!

I agree with the strong side sentiments but at the same time it wouldnt hurt to rest the big fella up front because he puts a lot into his games and one week off at this busy time would probably do him the world of good.

Depending on the fitness at the back I would go with:

Robles

Coleman - Alcaraz - Distin/Stones - Baines

Mirallas - Barry- McCarthy - Pienaar/Naismith

Barkley

Vellios/Jelavic (depending on transfer situation).

Make sure we have Lukaku on the bench so that he can come on and change the game if needs be. If Distin is fit, it wouldnt surprise me to see Stones in ahead of Coleman either but bar the striker change they would all be strong replacements.

Guest rusty747

Agree that we shouldn't take QPR for granted - or any opposition for that matter, but there is nothing wrong with justifiable confidence. I think that's one of the main differences RM has brought about - higher levels of self belief and confidence. But I do agree that that is not an excuse for arrogance. Apologies if it came across that way.

Name the best 11. Don't take this for granted. The players don't need a rest. This is a championship side we're playing against, not Mansfield Town. They get an entire week off after the match, so let the best 11 go out and finish the Christmas season strong.

Yeh good point, that is a decent break actually!

Name the best 11. Don't take this for granted. The players don't need a rest. This is a championship side we're playing against, not Mansfield Town. They get an entire week off after the match, so let the best 11 go out and finish the Christmas season strong.

This

I hate it when we put out a scratch side in the Cup competitions and then people wonder why we havent won anything

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tim-howard-should-start-everton-6464345

Third round of the FA cup, it's a magic day, it's a big day for Everton........BUT a massive one for QPR!

This is the day when the Rangers players show their big cousins they can play.This is the acid test that all lower league teams have in cup games.If the big boys take their eye off the game for a moment some keen championship player with something to prove will punish them.

The sign of a good manager is to not let his players underestimate the opponents, play anything but your best team from the start and your already sending out a statement.

If your fring players are good enough, Stones, Naismith etc then perhaps we will have too much for Rangers, but the moment the players think this will be easy, then it becomes anything but.

It also works the other way, if QPR don't think they have a chance, they wont have.

I'd love to see an inspired Barkley dominate and inspire the team and I relly think it could happen.

Martinez brought underdogs Wigan to Everton last season and taught us a lesson, I'm thinking one of Martinez' strengths is his ability to assess one off games, like the final against Man City and get the best out of his players.With that in mind I'm going for an Everton win, tricky game maybe, but an upbeat Everton and Martinez should have too much for rangers.

I'd love to see Jelavic score today.