IGNORED

Aston Villa (Home)

bluenosetoffee

Just highlighting the fact that teams who have pressed us high up the pitch this season have had great success

I think I know what your getting at.

We do like to pass it around the back, nice and relaxed. If the opposition puts pressure on our back line, certainly in the last 3 games we have struggled. We play good possesion football, we should build on that quality. We maybe need to move it forward a bit quicker in these circumstances. Its a slight kink in our armour at the moment, nothing more.

That game was the very definition of 'character'. On a day when United and Newcastle lost and Spurs could only draw, this comeback makes a big difference to the season. :)

This, hopefully we can go to Spurs now and get the three points there as well and we're in a good position again.

Thought it would turn nasty at one point, the players seemed completely devoid of ideas, boos at half time etc. Credit to players and fans though, everyone got behind the team 2nd half and things went much better on the pitch, completely deserved.

People slating the atmosphere above, I agree it's been poor at times and it was poor first half (not easy to get going after the week we've had), but second half it was rocking. Well, at least the Gwladys was. Soaking wet as well!

who other than the shite? we won the game, stop spreading your doom and gloom and be a real fan and be happy we won.

who other than the shite? we won the game, stop spreading your doom and gloom and be a real fan and be happy we won.

Spurs at home did exactly the same

Just highlighting the fact that teams who have pressed us high up the pitch this season have had great success

ive said it many times, it's how you stop us and it's not hard to do. Can't believe you're criticizing Stones either, thought he looked very comfortable and was always offering an outlet. When he went off, we completely abandoned the right flank, mostly because McGeady kept falling over himself.

Spurs at home did exactly the same

I'm a real fan mate. I was at the game like always, where you?

It's not spreading doom and gloom it's highlighting where we are weak. Nothing wrong with that.

ive said it many times, it's how you stop us and it's not hard to do. Can't believe you're criticizing Stones either, thought he looked very comfortable and was always offering an outlet. When he went off, we completely abandoned the right flank, mostly because McGeady kept falling over himself.

Stones is an awful RB going forward. We've been lucky to have an exceptional RB who can defend and go forward just as well, it's part of the modern game. An old School RB would at least get the crosses in. It's just doesn't exist from Stones. I watched him get into a good position time and time again

Stones gets into a crossing position and passes it backwards without fail.. So frustrating!

Stones is an awful RB going forward. We've been lucky to have an exceptional RB who can defend and go forward just as well, it's part of the modern game. An old School RB would at least get the crosses in. It's just doesn't exist from Stones. I watched him get into a good position time and time again

Stones gets into a crossing position and passes it backwards without fail.. So frustrating!

He brilliantly played in Osman into the box at least once.

He's a young kid. He's learning. He's done a good job thus far and will continue to improve.

He's a young kid. He's learning. He's done a good job thus far and will continue to improve.

It's not even a question of his age. I'm not expecting him to be a world beater. But it's evident from the last couple of games he is a useless attacking outlet on the Right side of defence. It's been a major part of our success this season.

I don't question the lads talent. He'll be a great CB. I will question the decision to play him there again. I really would rather have Hibbert there and that's saying something.

I'm starting to think I'm watching a different player to some of the people on here! McGeady wasn't putting in crosses when he had the chance neither did Mirallas, something wingers should be doing that too, but they didn't. Im assuming it's down to the complete lack of aerial presence in the box and trying to play to feet, something he did over and over, which will be the instructions from the manager.

I agree, he will be a great CB sometime! but I don't think he's as bad as people are making out! the opposite in my opinion...

I'm starting to think I'm watching a different player to some of the people on here! McGeady wasn't putting in crosses when he had the chance neither did Mirallas, something wingers should be doing that too, but they didn't. Im assuming it's down to the complete lack of aerial presence in the box and trying to play to feet, something he did over and over, which will be the instructions from the manager.

I agree, he will be a great CB sometime! but I don't think he's as bad as people are making out! the opposite in my opinion...

He offers nothing going forward in a team that produces the majority of its success from down the flanks. Square peg round hole.

to be honest mate i thought he was shit as well...just doesn't look comfortable for me

biggest win of the season..made it hard for ourselves but a stunner to win it

thought naismith did really well again down the middle...showing more that he isn't a winger

I'm so pleased for the lad. You know what you are getting from him, hard work, movement and finishing. He lacks in other departments but for the stick he's had because he's played out of position for 18months he deserves his goals.

are you saying that because he should be doing what Coleman should be doing? Just curious, want to understand how I can be missing something!

Genuine answer here Matt.

It shouldn't need explaining. It's evident he is not a modern day full back. Something which this team thrives upon. He's not good enough to work in the system. Square peg round hole sums it up.

Edited by MiguelCotto

are you saying that because he should be doing what Coleman should be doing? Just curious, want to understand how I can be missing something!

could be that...maybe we're just spoiled and setting the bar too high...or maybe it's because he's looked so cool at cb he just looks clumsy at rb..not sure what it is but i just never felt he looked comfortable

Genuine answer here Matt.

It shouldn't need explaining. It's evident he is not a modern day full back. Something which this team thrives upon. He's not good enough to work in the system. Square peg round hole sums it up.

hes 19, has played 2 games there, where he's hardly put a foot wrong. He gets up to support the attack, plays to feet, tracks back... No one sets into a role that quickly, especially filling the shoes of someone like Coleman.

So far as I can see, the only thing he didn't do that "deserves" the criticism is not putting crosses in. This is why I don't understand!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be an arse here, just perplexed!

I'm so pleased for the lad. You know what you are getting from him, hard work, movement and finishing. He lacks in other departments but for the stick he's had because he's played out of position for 18months he deserves his goals.

me too...i've given him shit but i've also always maintained he needs a chance down the middle to be really judged...finally getting it and he's taking it

hes 19, has played 2 games there, where he's hardly put a foot wrong. He gets up to support the attack, plays to feet, tracks back... No one sets into a role that quickly, especially filling the shoes of someone like Coleman.

So far as I can see, the only thing he didn't do that "deserves" the criticism is not putting crosses in. This is why I don't understand!

Getting crosses in to the one centre forward against three centre backs would have been the retarded thing to do as well.

Not at all. You're missing the point. He stops our attacks. Everyone pushes forward. He gets to the edge of the boss and hasn't got a clue what to do with it so passes it backwards. It's tedious and frustrating. He's not a RB.

I think thats the bit he is lacking in to be honest,

I know it is unfair to compare him to Coleman, but in situations where Seamus would take the full back on and either get a shot in or hit the bi line and get a dangerous cross in Stones would either turn around and pass it backwards or lump it into the box from deep when we havent got anyone in there who could get on the end of it

Apart from his positional play being a bit iffy I dont think there is too much wrong with him defensively but he offers nothing going forward. I can see him having a big future at the club but just not at RB

It was really quiet today? The missus asked why no one was singing!

Not a great game. For me one of our biggest problems was the lack of movement. If they have 11 men behind the ball then you need to mod to create space.

Thought Distin did his and Jags job today. I'm not a bit of a downer with Jags at the moment but I think he's been poor.

Baines offered more as the game went on

Naismith did well and we looked much better when we had 2 up front

I read some of the criticism of McCarthy but I thought he played well. He made a lot of tackles and had a lot of the ball. It's just a shame he doesn't drive forward a bit more as he'd be top draw if he added that to his game

It was first time at GP in a while. Desperately need a new ground although I love the old girl!

Barry is starting to look leggy and I'm not convinced I want to spend fortunes on his wages next year

Miralles worked hard but was isolated until

Naismith came on

Leon neat and tidy without offering much. He has the shitt*st shot I think of any player in world football including me and I'm absolutely pony.

Thought Stones did OK. You can see he has some class and will be a great central defender.

McGeady had some excellent touches but quickly tired. He's one of those small old fashioned tricky wingers like Pat Nevin/Limpar

Frickin love being at Gp regardless of the pissing rain and average football!!