IGNORED

Plans for Premier League 'B' teams

Romey 1878

The proposed new league would involve the same teams that are in the Under-21 league, which is those who are classed as category one in the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP). Their current U21 teams would be replaced by a U23 team with allowance for four over-age players.

It looks as though Roberto's complaints about the difficult transition from youth football to first team may be addressed by this new league, which is intended to be more competitive and would have matches broadcast from the club's main stadium.

The clubs with Category 1 Academy status are currently Premier League sides Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Newcastle, Norwich, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Tottenham, West Brom and West Ham, and Football League clubs Bolton, Blackburn, Leicester, Middlesbrough, Reading and Wolves.

Sky Sports article: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11676/9165327?

Telegraph article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10637493/Premier-League-chief-Richard-Scudamores-crusade-to-lift-England-football.html

• 2 months later...

Lower league teams are complaining about this and to them I say pull your socks up and gain promotion!

We are in a position to do this as we have established top flight football for over 100 years. We have earned the right to have a 'B' team and I for one would be behind this idea. It'd be nice to support Everton at Goodison before coming home and flicking the Football League Show on to see the likes of Lundstram, Vellios & Garbutt playing in our 'B' team.

The main proposal of FA chairman Greg Dykes England Commission is a B team league comprising mainly Premier League clubs, sitting between the Football League and the Conference.

The proposal from Dyke, who will unveil his recommendations to the FA board tomorrow, is already the subject of strong opposition from all quarters of the professional game.

The idea, still short on fine detail according to those who have seen Dykes blueprint, involves clubs with category one rated academies being part of a revolutionary league aimed at producing more young English players to improve the national team.

Busy Dyke, who has made the commission very much his personal crusade, has already discussed his grand design with a number of clubs, as well as FA stakeholders at all levels, and travelled to Europe to compare notes with other big football powers.

Notably, Dyke was in Madrid last week to meet the football authorities of world champions Spain, whose league structure had B teams from Barcelona and Real Madrid competing in the second-tier Segunda Division this season.

Dykes B-team plan for English football is on a far bigger scale, with a desire for promotion and relegation in the new set-up which, European law permitting, will have as many homegrown young footballers involved as possible.

But Dyke may have to revise his plans before they are revealed to FA directors after the feedback he received in meetings with the Premier League, Football League and Conference chiefs.

All three have concerns about the English football pyramid being tampered with to such an extent as well as the leagues losing the individual sovereignty of all clubs involved in their competitions. Fixture scheduling in a saturated football calendar is also an issue.

The Football League and Conference have board meetings this week. Their reaction might affect when Dyke goes public with his findings, which is not expected to happen until after the Premier League season finishes on Sunday.

But certainly Dyke will not be cowed from proposing what he thinks is right for the future of England whatever the counter-arguments.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2620981/EXCLUSIVE-Greg-Dyke-wants-revolutionary-B-team-division-blood-England-kids.html

I don't see what the obstacle is at the moment though - if any club want a second (or even a third) team, they can register one at the highest level the FA'll allow and work towards being promoted. The issue here is that Premier League teams don't want to put their academy players up against the likes of Bootle in the league, yet are happy to do so in the Liverpool County FA Cup.

"Four or five years ago I would have liked to have put an Everton reserve team into the Conference because it would have been better football for them," he said.

"My hope was that we could have used Widnes' stadium as the home ground and that when Everton were playing away the B team would have played in the Conference there.

"That was my long (term) idea because I thought the games would have been better, more competitive and more realistic for the players.

"But we would have had to have gone into Division Nine of the North-West Outer Counties or whatever you want to call it and it would have taken 10 or 11 years to get through.

Moyes chose not to do it because he thought it'd take a decade to get from the ninth tier to the fifth tier.

I totally agree to allow teams to enter a "B" team and let the competition sort them out. The best teams will get higher in the leagues, but then once a good player appears if the first team calls him up, they'll weaken the "B" team and they'll fight to avoid relegation.

Example: Real Madrid "B" last year had Jesé Rodriguez and Morata, they've both been promoted to the first squad, and the B team is struggling to stay in Segunda Division.

The lifecycle of a B team, and the biggest teams can stop loaning every youngster to give them playing time, they'll have a "B" team playing in a lower division with that purpose. For example: it's not the same for Barcelona to have kids playing their complex system in the Barcelona B, than to loan them to QPR.

Other teams in Spain never get that high (the fourth and fifth divisions are plagued of "B" and "C" teams). But one scenario must be remembered: If the first team gets relegated, then the "B" team that is in the immediate lower division gets relegated too, they can't play in the same league. Recent case: Villarreal and Villarreal "B".

If the plan is too bold (and personally, I like it), then relax the loan system so big teams can partner with smaller teams and effectively use them as 'B' teams. For example, allow BPL teams to establish a 'partner' team in each of the three lower divisions to whom they can loan an unlimited number of players during the season.

If the plan is too bold (and personally, I like it), then relax the loan system so big teams can partner with smaller teams and effectively use them as 'B' teams. For example, allow BPL teams to establish a 'partner' team in each of the three lower divisions to whom they can loan an unlimited number of players during the season.

so essentially you have the American Major League Baseball System. Each team has a "farm league" of smaller clubs that are all their players. they move them up and down per their skill level and each kid hopes to make the big leagues.

only thing with this, is that the english championship actually draws huge crowds. minor league baseball draws no many people at all. they have to do all these crazy promotions (free pregnant women night, everyone gets a free bicycle night, etc) to even get people there since it's a non-pro event.

as an american, we have minor leagues or B teams if you want to call them that and I HATE THAT SYSTEM. i much prefer the premier league model of all professional teams and loans. i think it's brilliant. it gives the little teams and towns pride and a chance at the big time, and it gives the big teams a chance to help the smaller teams by loaning them talent. it seems very simpatico.

Nope - not like the triple-A leagues at all. Let me give an example - and I'll pick clubs at random. Let's say that Everton partner with Huddersfield (Championship), Northampton (League 1), and Burton (League 2). Everton would be allowed to loan as many players as they wish to all three clubs. There would have to be a minimum loan period (e.g., one month), and the lower league teams would have to agree to take someone (thereby retaining full control of their club and team selections); however, we would be able to move some players across teams during the season, thereby allowing them to progress. For example, someone might start the season with Burton, progress to Northampton for a couple of months, then move to Huddersfeld for a bit, and finally end up playing for Everton - all in one season. In my view, this would be an excellent system, and I don't see why the smaller teams would object.

Edited by Cornish Steve

so steve the teams would still be independent, each team would just have a contract and loan allocation amount with each team? yeah could be decent, but if we had a bunch of possession football based teams that played like us it would be fine, but once a team does bad, fires the coach and brings in a hoof ball guy, then we'd have to get rid of our contract and find a new team. the current system lets us pick whoever we want.

so steve the teams would still be independent, each team would just have a contract and loan allocation amount with each team? yeah could be decent, but if we had a bunch of possession football based teams that played like us it would be fine, but once a team does bad, fires the coach and brings in a hoof ball guy, then we'd have to get rid of our contract and find a new team. the current system lets us pick whoever we want.

Agreed, so some flexibility is needed. The key, though, is relaxing the loan system to accommodate such an approach - and that ought to be easy enough.

So, you being around for a long time gives you the "right" to the Everton B team taking its place alongside the almost equally long lived Football League and Conference sides? So you have earned the right to destroy the teams that we love? We don't want to destroy your team, why do you think that Greg Dyke and his cronies have the "right" to destroy ours? This is supposed to be a thinking fan's forum, what is the non thinking Everton forum like? Do you not understand, Dyke's proposals will destroy much loved lower league clubs. Is that what the "thinking" Everton fan wants?

I have nothing against Everton, I remember the Trebilcock FA cup final well. Just think, eh, THINK!

So, you being around for a long time gives you the "right" to the Everton B team taking its place alongside the almost equally long lived Football League and Conference sides? So you have earned the right to destroy the teams that we love? We don't want to destroy your team, why do you think that Greg Dyke and his cronies have the "right" to destroy ours? This is supposed to be a thinking fan's forum, what is the non thinking Everton forum like? Do you not understand, Dyke's proposals will destroy much loved lower league clubs. Is that what the "thinking" Everton fan wants?

I have nothing against Everton, I remember the Trebilcock FA cup final well. Just think, eh, THINK!

Can you explain why this would destroy lower league clubs? Personally don't see why it would.

Can you explain why this would destroy lower league clubs? Personally don't see why it would.

Because the B teams would eventually rise to the top of League 1 and stay there, not able to be promoted. OUR League would become a place where B teams dominate. Our League is competitive now, the proposals would make it uncompetitive. How can we compete with the resources of the Premiership? Why can't you be satisfied with a Premiership reserve League? Why do you want to make our Keague as dreadful as the Spanish and German second tiers? What right do YOU have to destroy hope for our clubs? If this proposal goes ahead, I guarantee that the fans of lower division sides will desert football in their droves, and we will remove our subscriptions from the TV channels that enrich clubs like Everton.

Because the B teams would eventually rise to the top of League 1 and stay there, not able to be promoted. OUR League would become a place where B teams dominate. Our League is competitive now, the proposals would make it uncompetitive. How can we compete with the resources of the Premiership? Why can't you be satisfied with a Premiership reserve League? Why do you want to make our Keague as dreadful as the Spanish and German second tiers? What right do YOU have to destroy hope for our clubs? If this proposal goes ahead, I guarantee that the fans of lower division sides will desert football in their droves, and we will remove our subscriptions from the TV channels that enrich clubs like Everton.

If all the B teams progressed to the top of league 1 then the Conference would revert to pretty much what it is now wouldn't it? Except there would be more current conference teams playing at "league" level. I don't understand why supporters would desert their teams.....would you? It's an interesting debate so if you could stop ranting for a minute we could maybe have one.

If all the B teams progressed to the top of league 1 then the Conference would revert to pretty much what it is now wouldn't it? Except there would be more current conference teams playing at "league" level. I don't understand why supporters would desert their teams.....would you? It's an interesting debate so if you could stop ranting for a minute we could maybe have one.

I am ranting because I, and all supporters of lower division sides, know that the teams we love are doomed if this proposal gives ahead. Everton already has one team, in the Premiership. Is that not enough for you? I guess you don't or don't want to see it. As for the idiot who claims that this is "good for home player development" I would ask him why don't the Premiership sides play these players in their first teams, as they used to do? You prefer to play Africans, Uruguayans, anybody but Englishmen. Why do your clubs want a monopoly on home grown talent, and then leave it to languish in your reserves? Why not let such players join teams that WILL pick them?

If Everton was faced with a similar catastrophic change you would also rant and be angry. The commission that produced this report had Danny Mills on it, what a testimony to to the intellectual ability of those who produced the report.

If this will help home grown player development I'm all for it.

This is my major problem with this proposal. How would it help the England team by producing more high quality English players? I haven't seen one satisfactory explanation yet.

IMO the problem is far more fundamental and traces back to the lack of qualified youth coaches and the lack of funding and facilities for youth teams in the communities.

I also think that the forthcoming plans to change the current Premier League U21 teams to U23 teams and make that competition more high profile and competitive will provide much the same sort of challenge as some sort of mutant Division 3.

Edited by efc1111