IGNORED

Everton vs Cardiff

Cornish Steve

This is the important bit for me. We don't have the canniness to break a side down when they have everyone back behind the ball, so the key is to go at the opposition, put them on the backfoot and don't allow them to get organised. If there's an opening then drive into it. We often slow eveything right down and then the opportunity is gone.

If we really played with the arrogance that Martinez wants us to then we'd go for the jugular.

They had 5 at the back most of the time.

I don't agree with your suggestion that there was no change of pace. A couple of times during the first half, the commentators (on the stream I was watching) really praised the pace with which we broke from defence. The game may have been slow at times without a sense of dynamic, but there were other times when we knew exactly what to do.

I'm exaggerating when I say no change of pace, we do do it sometimes but it's not nearly enough. And this was Cardiff ffs, not a top side. We should have been laying into them, putting them on the backfoot constantly, not just every now and then.

We're incredibly easy to nullify. We aren't causing sides many problems at all in this part of the season. Earlier on we looked like we could carve sides open and it was more a case of us just fluffing the chances. But now there's something missing in our play.

Steve, we were playing Cardiff. It was like watching Ali fight Frank Bruno and instead of knocking him out just continue to dance around. All very well looking good in the last round, these were poor.

I agree that we laboured to beat a lowly team, but we did get the win. We'll learn from it. I don't expect to play every week like we did at home to Liverpool or away to Arsenal and United. Indeed, our level of play seems to match that of the opposition - we're actually playing better against most of the top teams.

Is that you agreeing or disagreeing with what you quoted?

Neither. Was just saying they came not to lose. That doesn't make the performance acceptable. I'm just of the opinion we aren't playing good football at the moment. It's flat/boring tika taka.

The two sitting midfielders offer nothing going forward and our full backs (especially Coleman) aren't getting forward as much as they were.

A box to box midfielder who can chip in with goals is needed.

I thought it would come across controversial like most of my posts. But I don't think the two sitting midfielders benefits us all the time.

We are missing the goals from the middle of the park. Also the killer pass. I personally think it has a lot to do with teams pushing the full backs back and us having no goalscoring central midfielders.

I thought it would come across controversial like most of my posts. But I don't think the two sitting midfielders benefits us all the time.

We are missing the goals from the middle of the park. Also the killer pass. I personally think it has a lot to do with teams pushing the full backs back and us having no goalscoring central midfielders.

Games like today the two definitely aren't needed. It's Cardiff and we were at home so we should've been taking the game to them. I'd have had Barkley and McCarthy in there personally. We've got plenty of pace out wide now but absolutely nothing in the middle.

I do like Barry and McCarthy as a partnership but there are times when that partnership unbalances the side as a whole and needs to be changed up.

I do think that Barry and McCarthy are too deep lying. If Ross had discipline and a more overall game where he was conscious of the defense then Barry could be offloaded. For me the perfect outcome is that Ross learns a bit of McCarthy and becomes the next Gerrard.

Those two would be awesome.

yes agreed, your points MC about a deep lying 2 way playing CM i understand now. when teams sit deep and park the bus, there is no need for 6 defenders (2 FB, 2 CB, 2 CM) or even 4 (2 CB, 2 CM) if your 2 fullbacks are bombing the flanks. leave it to 3 (2 CB, 1 CM) and have the box to box guy running both ways.

another way we could do this is RM preferred 3-5-2 formation, where we have 3 centre backs and everyone else is in attack mode. it will be interesting to see what transpires of all this.

Edited by markjazzbassist

yes agreed, your points MC about a deep lying 2 way playing CM i understand now. when teams sit deep and park the bus, there is no need for 6 defenders (2 FB, 2 CB, 2 CM) or even 4 (2 CB, 2 CM) if your 2 fullbacks are bombing the flanks. leave it to 3 (2 CB, 1 CM) and have the box to box guy running both ways.

another way we could do this is RM preferred 3-5-2 formation, where we have 3 centre backs and everyone else is in attack mode. it will be interesting to see what transpires of all this.

There is when we get picked off everytime we seem to go forward.

There is definately a time and place for the two sitting midfielders. It's worked a lot this season but if the full backs aren't getting forward enough we become short going forward.

At the start of the season Coleman was bombing up and down. The same with Oviedo and Baines and teams couldn't cope with it.

However because it's been highlighted so much in the media teams have clicked and I feel as though the success of it is fading.

That's not to say we won't get success there time to time.

I just think we need plan b and that's to remove one of the sitters.

Watching the comments after the game and by christ Ole Gunner annoyed the fuck out of me! Bleating on about how it should have been a penalty, did Roberto mention that it should not have been a free kick which lead to their goal??!! No! Pisses me off when they only see one side!

Yes but I also look at the games where the crowd didn't need to be up for it. QPR, teams like that. There the ones he really struggled with.

I agree but Martinez has also struggled with teams like that. West Brom home and away. Palace away.

Watching the comments after the game and by christ Ole Gunner annoyed the fuck out of me! Bleating on about how it should have been a penalty, did Roberto mention that it should not have been a free kick which lead to their goal??!! No! Pisses me off when they only see one side!

Viewed the post-match interviews and while Solskjaer has developed a near Manchester accent, Martinez is following on well with his own Scouse variation.

For the game in question, thought it was an OK affair, both teams looked capable, and at times, lethargic, in equal measure. No one side really deserved to win, but that we did, and more to power to Coleman for providing that end.

Still disappointed to an extent about last weekends cup elimination, but still promise there for end of season and while realize in all probability aren't going to achieve champions league qualification now, still everything to play for and three much required points yesterday.

Agree totally with that. I'd be tempted not to sign Barry in the summer and just get a box to box midfielder.

I think we have that box to box midfielder in McCarthy, he just seems to have the handbrake on a little at the moment. I have no doubt he could fulfil pretty much any role in the centre of midfield and he is at his best when he is driving us forward, pressing high and then getting back and making tackles/interceptions.

For me the problem isnt in our attacking play, its more in our defensive work. We need to stick to our guns, commit to a highish line and press the ball aggressively and stop the other team in their transition periods creating space for our forward line to move into. When we lost to Liverpool, we lost that mojo a little and I think the fans, players and manager lost their bollocks a little. If we turn the ball over quicker, catch them out of position, we have the ability to really hurt teams much like Liverpool and Arsenal did to us and like Liverpool and Arsenal do on a regular basis.

I think we have that box to box midfielder in McCarthy, he just seems to have the handbrake on a little at the moment. I have no doubt he could fulfil pretty much any role in the centre of midfield and he is at his best when he is driving us forward, pressing high and then getting back and making tackles/interceptions.

For me the problem isnt in our attacking play, its more in our defensive work. We need to stick to our guns, commit to a highish line and press the ball aggressively and stop the other team in their transition periods creating space for our forward line to move into. When we lost to Liverpool, we lost that mojo a little and I think the fans, players and manager lost their bollocks a little. If we turn the ball over quicker, catch them out of position, we have the ability to really hurt teams much like Liverpool and Arsenal did to us and like Liverpool and Arsenal do on a regular basis.

McCarthy hits a brick wall once he reaches the 18 yard box. He is what he is.

McCarthy hits a brick wall once he reaches the 18 yard box. He is what he is.

I just think its because he isn't employed in that manner. I think that he may well add that string to his bow as he gets more established. In gerrards first full season at Liverpool he scored 1 goal in 31 appearances. He only really became the goalscoring midfielder 2004 onwards 5 years on from his first season.

I'm saying that McCarthy will become as prolific but its a way to identify that even Gerrard took time to develop that part of his game.

I just think its because he isn't employed in that manner. I think that he may well add that string to his bow as he gets more established. In gerrards first full season at Liverpool he scored 1 goal in 31 appearances. He only really became the goalscoring midfielder 2004 onwards 5 years on from his first season.

I'm saying that McCarthy will become as prolific but its a way to identify that even Gerrard took time to develop that part of his game.

You could be right but I haven't seen anything to suggest he'll become a goalscorer. He's still young but he's also racked up a lot of premiership appearances.

I just think a natural box to box midfielder is needed to play next to him.

Two sitters isn't working at the moment.