IGNORED

Football supporter killed in Sweden

I am so mad, sad and angry today. It was supposed to be one of the best days of the year. Everton on the tv and then the swedish premiere match of this season. My team Djurgården playing away at Helsingborg.

Yesterday there was a fight between Djurgården and Helsingborg supporters where Djurgården supporters chased their oponents into a restaurant and when they couldnt find them they harrassed the families instead. 5 got arrested. Stupid fucking morons.

Today before the game a Djurgården supporter was beaten so badly before the game that he was rushed tonthe hospital. He died when the match had run for 40 minutes. Djurgården supporters found out and stormed the pitch. Straight towards the home end where they stood shouting murdurers, murdurers at the Helsingborg fans.

Game was called of and its a sad sad day for swedish football. There is a problem in swedish football, we have discussed it here before. I just cant believe that little sweden has such problems with football firms.

One of Djurgårdens players (Andreas Johansson, ex Wigan) summed it up the best. They just never know if they are playing a full game on game day. Or if the match is called off due to supporter violence. He just wants to tear up his contract and say goodbye to football.

I am so mad, sad and angry today. It was supposed to be one of the best days of the year. Everton on the tv and then the swedish premiere match of this season. My team Djurgården playing away at Helsingborg.

Yesterday there was a fight between Djurgården and Helsingborg supporters where Djurgården supporters chased their oponents into a restaurant and when they couldnt find them they harrassed the families instead. 5 got arrested. Stupid fucking morons.

Today before the game a Djurgården supporter was beaten so badly before the game that he was rushed tonthe hospital. He died when the match had run for 40 minutes. Djurgården supporters found out and stormed the pitch. Straight towards the home end where they stood shouting murdurers, murdurers at the Helsingborg fans.

Game was called of and its a sad sad day for swedish football. There is a problem in swedish football, we have discussed it here before. I just cant believe that little sweden has such problems with football firms.

One of Djurgårdens players (Andreas Johansson, ex Wigan) summed it up the best. They just never know if they are playing a full game on game day. Or if the match is called off due to supporter violence. He just wants to tear up his contract and say goodbye to football.

Christ, are things really that bad with hooliganism in Sweden?

It's not so long ago that we faced weekly incidents like this in Britain. Darts were thrown at rival fans, sometimes piercing someone's skull. Fights would break out before the game, during the game, after the game. I had friends at school who, when part of the football mob, would do some outrageous things. The closest team in England was Plymouth Argyle, and I well remember when the main Sunday headline was "Greenburn", when Plymouth fans ran riot in Blackburn. It prevented many wannabe supporters from ever attending football games. Families never went, and I'd guess it was 95% men.

How did we address the problem in Britain? Curbing drinking and drunkenness was one approach, and I personally think we could still do more in this regard. All-seat stadiums have helped. Instituting lifetime bans has certainly helped. Fining teams for fan behaviour is a must. What do you think would turn things around in Sweden? For sure, this is not a problem that can be fixed in a day.

The biggest problem is not on the arenas but organized fights outside the arena before the games.

Then again at least one game is called off every year due to violence in the arenas.

We have all seater venues

No alcohol is served on the arenas

We have cameras and life time bans

I really dont know how to tackle this. My daughter asked me today when i am taking her to a game. I told her soon but the answer is probably never. Not if this continues. Last year away supporters broke in to a closed area above the family section and threw down fireworks and bengals on the families below.

Soccer hooligan elements will always exist wherever you find them. Was sorry to learn of the senseless killing of the fan who got caught up in the thick of things.

Strange in a sense and it's not something you would necessarily associate with Sweden, or Scandanavia as a whole. Some would assume countries such as the Netherlands, Czech Republic and Italy for incidents of this nature, so was surprised to an extent to learn from where this (tragic) story originated.

Best wishes to his immediate family.

Apparently some guy has turned himself in to the police claiming to have been involved in the beating. He has never been convicted before and was not known by police. What the hell does football do to some people? How the hell do you get so wound up by the game that you amash a beer bottle in the back of someones head and then follow up that by smashing someones head repeatedly against the curb?

Apparently some guy has turned himself in to the police claiming to have been involved in the beating. He has never been convicted before and was not known by police. What the hell does football do to some people? How the hell do you get so wound up by the game that you amash a beer bottle in the back of someones head and then follow up that by smashing someones head repeatedly against the curb?

Fair play, dont know how many people wouldve done. Doesnt excuse his actions though...

No, it's not fair play. He's just killed a man. If he hadn't turned himself in, someone else would have very shortly.

agree to disagree. There are many that don't get turned in, many who think they've got away with it and do. Like I said, doesn't excuse his actions but shows he is man enough to take responsibility for his actions. Shows he has a conscious at least

agree to disagree. There are many that don't get turned in, many who think they've got away with it and do. Like I said, doesn't excuse his actions but shows he is man enough to take responsibility for his actions. Shows he has a conscious at least

I think Steve is right. According to the police this guys name had come up several times in talks with witnesses. I think he is trying to knock some months off of the sentance he is getting. I was missinformed earlier when i said that he wasnt known by the police. He is apparently well known for violence. But never convicted.

He will probably get away with manslaughter, 2-3 years in jail. Deserves to be put away for life if it was him in my opinion.

Guest Nikica

Awful news, like others I am very surprised to hear this going on in Sweden of all countries, as I thought most Swedes were fairly laid-back. I guess it's true that national stereotypes are often just that.