IGNORED

Samuel Eto'o

I fucking told you all :shaking fist:

Only joking. Great debut and we all knew he was absolute class. Anyone doubting his wuality is a dick head.

I think the jury is out on his desire/commitment to us. He played a team today that he had a point to prove to. Lets hope he plays like that every game.

Well in Sammy lad, don't let me down now!

I fucking told you all :shaking fist:

Only joking. Great debut and we all knew he was absolute class. Anyone doubting his wuality is a dick head.

I think the jury is out on his desire/commitment to us. He played a team today that he had a point to prove to. Lets hope he plays like that every game.

Well in Sammy lad, don't let me down now!

Yes you did, and no I am not :). Great points there, let's hope there are more goals!

In all fairness to Lukaku I think it is far harder to play that solitary frontman role in the formation we play. Lots of hard graft, kicks, double marking and little glory..... Although he hasn't been great! Think both Naismith and Eto have an easier job playing further back picking the ball up facing goal rather than with their back too it.

Still very impressed with both of them but Eto looked like a bit of class, great movement and vision he has, a touch of world class at times. He's an undoubted goal scorer but after today's performance I got an insight into what a clever player he is with regard to movement vision and ability to play others in. Will be a real game changer for us and able to play several positions across the front line.

The bitterness has almost faded from tonight's result and I'm starting to see the positives. Not many teams anywhere that will dominate 62 percent of the ball against Chelsea. A few things go different and we could have easily won, the most worrying thing is how many times we conceded straight after scoring, happened preseason too!

Not the greatest start to the season but with Eto, Lukaku, Kone ( who I still think will surprise a few people) and Naismith we have goals, variety and enough to scare any team. Most overrated player in the premiership Jags, poor defending all night plus a couple of individual howlers, if Martinez is truly a great manager he will make a brave move and drop him for Stones! Can't see it though, captain and all that..... Just have this worry at the back of my mind that our defensive performances last year were residual Moyes, a defensive master and now we are seeing Wigan esq defending. All the more worrying when you take the preseason into account too!

Still I'll take it over Moyes, boring football, all intent on blunting the opponents. Went two nil down tonight and always felt we could get back into it! Martinez brings glamour, good football, always an unpredictable match day. Two points after three games, gutted, but torn as there have also been so many positives! Think we could be a cup team this year, breaking a twenty year drought.......Eto with the winner, last and most important feather in a feather filled cap!

All the guff about Rooney having to earn the number 9 shirt, despite him leaving he had already proven himself big enough to wear it. Then Beattie gets it straight away and Donovan got it despite not being our player.

Can't believe I missed this. Beattie was number 8 in his first season, then he moved to number 9 when Andy Johnson signed and he took number 8.

Eto'o clearly still has plenty of ability, can't wait to see more of him.

Edited by StevO

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2014/09/03/5080414/baines-etoo-still-has-killer-instinct-at-everton

Baines talking up Eto'o.

You could just see the difference in ability when he came on against Chelsea. No matter what age he's at he's on another level to the majority we have here. I predict he'll be our top scorer!

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2014/09/03/5080414/baines-etoo-still-has-killer-instinct-at-everton

Baines talking up Eto'o.

You could just see the difference in ability when he came on against Chelsea. No matter what age he's at he's on another level to the majority we have here. I predict he'll be our top scorer!

"From his first training session he looked sharp. I know it sounds stupid but even the way he passes the ball is done properly,"

I totally get what Baines means here. He is authoritive and deliberate, the players will know they can "hit him" and it will be looked after. His touch for Mirallas effort on the post was awesome.

"From his first training session he looked sharp. I know it sounds stupid but even the way he passes the ball is done properly,"

I totally get what Baines means here. He is authoritive and deliberate, the players will know they can "hit him" and it will be looked after. His touch for Mirallas effort on the post was awesome.

I was surprised at just how sharp he looked against Chelsea after having zero pre-season. It was very impressive.

I was surprised at just how sharp he looked against Chelsea after having zero pre-season. It was very impressive.

The one caveat is that he was on the field for - what - 20-30 minutes? I'm not trying to take away from his performance, because I agree it's still impressive. Just pointing out that making an impact as a sub is a different thing from being an impact player for 90 minutes. Could take some time before he's ready to do that. It's exciting, though. Lukaku is a beast in his own way but his investment is clearly about the long-term as much as it for now. He clearly still has some work to do. It's nice that, in the meantime, we have a class player like Eto'o whom Martinez can just throw on the pitch and not have to worry about coaching too much.

The one caveat is that he was on the field for - what - 20-30 minutes? I'm not trying to take away from his performance, because I agree it's still impressive. Just pointing out that making an impact as a sub is a different thing from being an impact player for 90 minutes. Could take some time before he's ready to do that. It's exciting, though. Lukaku is a beast in his own way but his investment is clearly about the long-term as much as it for now. He clearly still has some work to do. It's nice that, in the meantime, we have a class player like Eto'o whom Martinez can just throw on the pitch and not have to worry about coaching too much.

i'd actually start Eto at the moment and bring on Rom when the defence is tired.

I think if you started with etoo it would set rom further back a centre forward has to play to get his touch back in front of goal

(thank god RM missed out on cleverly)

Not really, its taking him out of the firing line - use his toe as an excuse. His all round play is not tight enough for a game early on - bring him on when the legs are a little more tired and the game should be more stretched - then he can make his impact.

If he scores he may well get his confidence up.

The thing is he must know someone close to the club because he was right about Barkley. I trust Ten on this stuff he's reliable! Not that I like it but at least he tells it as it is. Big loss for us, he looked great. I suppose that the risk we took with age.

I don't really hate him, I was just shooting the messenger. Ten's a great guy (he's bought me a beer and that qualifies him :P).

;)

Was actually right about Lukaku being injured to. Was told he went straight to hospital after training (foot injury), wasn't meant to play in the Arsenal game but we had not a lot of options, it was only a brused bone (toe) and injections helped. Still injured like.

Hopefully Sam's isn't that long. Timescale is unknown yet. General time scale.

Out for anywhere between 3-6 weeks after pulling up with hamstring complaint in the friendly today.

It's a dodgy rumour... he didn't even play! We beat Stoke 3-0 at FF - Browning, Kone and Grant scored. Charlie Adam was asked to leave the pitch after a dangerous challenge on Oviedo. Eto'o has been away in France.

It was 4-0...:P

Was gonna write the France thing but it didn't make sence and I wasn't 100% sure on the story altogether.

Rather say nothing, than the wrong thing. I just pass info.

Edit : Turns out, noone knows about the score or injury ahaha

Edited by tenaciousj

It was 4-0... :P

Was gonna write the France thing but it didn't make sence and I wasn't 100% sure on the story altogether.

Rather say nothing, than the wrong thing. I just pass info.

Edit : Turns out, noone knows about the score or injury ahaha

So we're certain that everything's fine then, apart from the things that are catastrophically wrong?

Great to have the clarity (I heard it was 8-0 with a Hibbo hat trick but my sauces are mainly Heinz).