IGNORED

Dimitri Payet

• 11 months later...

I don't really like it. Not because I do not like the player -tbh I don't have an opinion-, but because the position of AMC is Barkley's best. If last season he was not getting played in that position without this player, will he be again played in the left next season?

Cleverley, Gibson, McCarthy, Besic, Barry, Barkley, Osman and now this chap are far too many for the DM/CM/AMC, unless one of them plays regularly on the wing and/or someone is leaving. Even considering Osman as a LMF, still too many.

I assume the starters are McCarthy, Barry and Barkley in top form (not my preference, but what I think RM would do). Would he drop Barkley instead of give him more responsibility?

Where did you get the idea AMC is Barkley's best position? Frankly he has been quite poor in that position and doesn't seem to have the qualities either. His best position is playing deeper in the midfield where he can make runs with the ball.

Where did you get the idea AMC is Barkley's best position? Frankly he has been quite poor in that position and doesn't seem to have the qualities either. His best position is playing deeper in the midfield where he can make runs with the ball.

I have never seen him defend or do something remarkable deep in midfield. If I'm not mistaken, he's been on record saying that he plays better behind the striker.

Besides, he has no tactical acumen (yet) of when to play it simple, when to play long, when to play short and when to dribble, which makes him a liability deep in midfield.

To be honest, I see him better a-la-Gerrard (a few years ago), playing with a DM as Mascherano and a CM as Xabi Alonso and him doing a bit of free roaming, going wherever his talent tells him to, scoring goals with his great strike and powerful runs.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything I said would happen is happening. The increased money is allowing other teams to blow us out the water using their irresponsible financial decisions. Making big gambles.

Players who want to come to us will come but players who are motivated by cash won't.

It all makes way for a continuation of the greed we have seen.

Everything I said would happen is happening. The increased money is allowing other teams to blow us out the water using their irresponsible financial decisions. Making big gambles.

Players who want to come to us will come but players who are motivated by cash won't.

It all makes way for a continuation of the greed we have seen.

Which is exactly the type of player we want at the club. I take your point but ultimately clubs trying to buy success by paying over the odds for players with questionable motivation won't succeed I don't think. How many teams over the last decade have people thought we'd be overtaken by due to takeover/cash injection/big spending? None of them have and several are no longer in the top flight; I disagree that we'll be "blown out of the water" by anyone making stupid buys.

Which is exactly the type of player we want at the club. I take your point but ultimately clubs trying to buy success by paying over the odds for players with questionable motivation won't succeed I don't think. How many teams over the last decade have people thought we'd be overtaken by due to takeover/cash injection/big spending? None of them have and several are no longer in the top flight; I disagree that we'll be "blown out of the water" by anyone making stupid buys.

spot on mike. got a hell of a player in gerry, a work in progress in cleverly, we're halfway there just need 2 more players to round out an already solid lineup to take us up a notch.

I should have acknowledged City as the obvious exception in that; but that was "bottomless pit spending with no worry about consequences" spending so a bit different from Newcastle, Villa, Blackburn, Portsmouth etc.

Hmmm to a you are right but the reality is some very very good players will go for the money and do a very good job. It's lovely to get a player who goes with his heart, but quality is the key factor.

Can't argue with that, but I would say this debate depends on one question: are you a pragmatist or a romantic?

I'm certainly more the latter and believe in soul over silverware, if there's a choice to be made. Ideal world, I'd take both of course!

• 1 month later...