IGNORED

American owners - what if...

Tim Howard is a national hero right now in the US, and so is the US soccer team in general. I can imagine a billionaire somewhere in the country already thinking about how to improve the national team to the point where it could be serious contenders for winning the next World Cup. How do you do that?

The obvious place to start is ensuring that America's top young players get to experience playing in a "serious" league and not just the MLS. Look at the leaders on the current team: Tim Howard (plays in the BPL), Clint Dempsey (played in the BPL), and so on. What could a billionaire do to guarantee the careful development of American players in Europe?

What might be the next step in their thinking? "Who does Tim Howard play for? Oh - it's the team managed by that charismatic young commentator on ESPN! Why don't I buy the team? We could develop a youth feeder system here in the US, alongside Everton's current youth program. We could buy Brooks and Yedlin and maybe have three or four US players ready and able to play on the first team. Geez - I could even organize weekly flights to games and stage summer tours of the US."

How would Everton fans react to this type of thinking? It would be a realistic way of finding a cash-rich owner willing to build a new stadium - but the condition would be that top Americans are added to the squad. Fresh thinking can be good, as long as it doesn't undermine tradition.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Are you American?

Fortunately, it doesn't and wouldn't work that way. Good thinking, but no. Why would we want to have 3, 4, 5 Americans forced on us by our owner? I'm pretty sure that as we are an English team, a founder club, our fans would want to see 3, 4, 5 quality English players...to see our own national team progress? Not be a 'feeder' club for the U S of A!!!

The idea stinks of modern day commercial bullshit, where you sell the soul of the club/company for someone else to make money. It's just so 'american'.

The above is written a bit short hand as I am on lunch and got to get back to it! Don't take it personally etc, but I'd be well up for debate on this one.

By the way, since the Red Sox owners bought Liverpool, what if a New York Yankees fan became the new owner of Everton? The Yankees hate the Red Sox, and it's an intense rivalry. That would really stir up some passions in America! These large teams own their own TV sports channels, so there's an immediate opportunity for more revenue.

I would be okay with American owners, obviously, but I don't think the focus of the club should be on developing the USA's young players. I felt like if an owner came in and did that Roberto would leave because he couldn't pick the youth he wanted. You can tell Roberto wants complete control over which players are brought, and I definitely don't want him leaving.

Are you American?

Fortunately, it doesn't and wouldn't work that way. Good thinking, but no. Why would we want to have 3, 4, 5 Americans forced on us by our owner? I'm pretty sure that as we are an English team, a founder club, our fans would want to see 3, 4, 5 quality English players...to see our own national team progress? Not be a 'feeder' club for the U S of A!!!

The idea stinks of modern day commercial bullshit, where you sell the soul of the club/company for someone else to make money. It's just so 'american'.

The above is written a bit short hand as I am on lunch and got to get back to it! Don't take it personally etc, but I'd be well up for debate on this one.

Of course I don't take it personally - you ******. :) That's the whole point of a discussion.

Would American ownership be any different than an Arab oil magnate making City his plaything? The fans seem to enjoy the success. What about Newcastle, with an incredibly strong tradition. They have trouble fielding a single English player. And then there's Liverpool. Their American owners have been sensitive to their history and traditions and have grown a base of English players. It could be a success if it's done properly.

No problem in principle with an American owner or a tie in with an American youth development project, but "We could buy Brooks and Yedlin and maybe have three or four US players ready and able to play on the first team." would be a non starter. The selection of the squad has to be solely in the hands of the manager and nationality has to be irrelevant, an improvement in the quality of the USA team might be the consequence of such a scenario, but it shouldn't be the aim.

No problem in principle with an American owner or a tie in with an American youth development project, but "We could buy Brooks and Yedlin and maybe have three or four US players ready and able to play on the first team." would be a non starter. The selection of the squad has to be solely in the hands of the manager and nationality has to be irrelevant, an improvement in the quality of the USA team might be the consequence of such a scenario, but it shouldn't be the aim.

I agree with you. In the original post, I was trying to capture how an American investor might think in light of the WC. They would, of course, have to implement their strategy in a sensitive way, otherwise their plans would go down the toilet.

Won't happen. If they want to make The US a better side they spend money in their country enhancing their league so one day the big players all go there.

Long-term, I agree, but that won't help with the next World Cup.

I've read before that Everton has considered starting a youth feeder project in other European countries. I'm not sure why that idea wouldn't work for the US, too. That alone would benefit both parties.

American Billionaire "Howdy Bill, my name is Chuck Randolph the 3rd from alabama.... now listen here, I see T How pretty much single handedly keep out those darn Belgian boys, no what you say you let me buy your mighty fine club for £250m, I will give you guys a stadium to dream about, give your mighty fine manager £100m to buy the very best.... now whatta you say to that partner?! - i've got billions that I can't spend and i'm not getting any younger"

Bill:- "you've got the wrong number"

yankees owners already have a team, Manc City NYC. They partnered with Manc City.

I wouldn't be against American owners, but they don't have a great track record. Randy Lerner (Villa), Previous Red Shite (Gillete). I just think Americans don't know enough and don't care enough. Football in England is so intensely passionate (from the fans) that you need an owner who is either just a money bags (like man city) or hands on and in it. No American owner wants to just be money bags, on the whole (stereotype i know) americans are greedier and more narsicisstic, so we'd have some rich guy who didn't know anything about football acting like a boob. no thanks. i'll take a passionate Bill Kenwright who actually knows football, understands the fans, and gets the history here.

yankees owners already have a team, Manc City NYC. They partnered with Manc City.

I wouldn't be against American owners, but they don't have a great track record. Randy Lerner (Villa), Previous Red Shite (Gillete). I just think Americans don't know enough and don't care enough. Football in England is so intensely passionate (from the fans) that you need an owner who is either just a money bags (like man city) or hands on and in it. No American owner wants to just be money bags, on the whole (stereotype i know) americans are greedier and more narsicisstic, so we'd have some rich guy who didn't know anything about football acting like a boob. no thanks. i'll take a passionate Bill Kenwright who actually knows football, understands the fans, and gets the history here.

What about someone like Ted Turner? He has a giant ego, yes, but he's quite hands-off when it comes to running teams (not unlike John Henry, right?).

I'm not making a particularly serious suggestion, just trying to think how an American billionaire somewhere or other might be thinking right now. As someone pointed out elsewhere, Tim Howard has singlehandedly won support for Everton, so what can be done to tap into that? Buying a couple of good young American players would help. Developing a youth feeder link would help. Money doesn't come for free, though, so to earn the bigger money means being willing to tie into someone's dream.

I don't think we need new owners were doing ok under bill and Roberto.

This club is in the best shape it's been in for over 20 years,so let's go with bill and Roberto.

So you think we can just keep rolling on the way we are.... Don't forget it's the Fellaini money that let us sign McCarthy. The rest of that money is yet to be spent.... Where does the money come from next season?? Barkley? Stones?

I don't think we need new owners were doing ok under bill and Roberto.

This club is in the best shape it's been in for over 20 years,so let's go with bill and Roberto.

Bill has made two very good management appointments - that has saved the club, commercially and organsationally we are a shambles. We need professional people who run the club, Bill and the rest of that lot on the board are a joke - Elstone? joke too.

Of course I don't take it personally - you ******. :) That's the whole point of a discussion.

Would American ownership be any different than an Arab oil magnate making City his plaything? The fans seem to enjoy the success. What about Newcastle, with an incredibly strong tradition. They have trouble fielding a single English player. And then there's Liverpool. Their American owners have been sensitive to their history and traditions and have grown a base of English players. It could be a success if it's done properly.

Haha...what name would that have been to call me?!!

The idea sounded very 'american', hence asking if you were.

I haven't read the other posts yet...but it's like this...The issue I had with your idea was the sound of the club being used to blood USA nationals. That doesn't work for me. If they are good enough, fair play. But it would be massively restrictive on the club if an American owner, or any owner, came in and laid down such conditions. It would be detrimental to the club, fans and the new owner.

The shiekhs have had huge success at city...but they haven't said the team must have 5 of their nationals in. They've just spanked huge amounts. FSG have had a good start at Liverpool...but again, no insistence on any particular national playing. See, that's the difference to your original post.

I would welcome anyone coming in who will take the club forward. But for every Sheikh or oligarch, there have been many, many disasters and empty promises. Many clubs have been ripped to pieces by sneaky slimey corrupt investors.

It's early days for FSG, I'm not totally convinced yet. How will they get their money back? Or when?

We should all be careful what we cry for.

I have to agree with Haf that while we are having success on the pitch, and I've no doubt Bills style of being hands off and letting the manager get on with it has helped, along with his 'passion' for the club, unfortunately behind the scenes decisions have been made which have not helped progress us off the field. Things such as the financing of the original buyout, the wasted monies on stadium and other projects, refinancing of loans, selling assets etc.

These poor moves mean that we are still a bit of a 'sell to buy' club.

Amazing isn't it we are run by a bunch of clowns

Yet we are the 5th best team in the prem ?

If you get new owners like liverpools expect your season tkts to go up immensely liverpool kop tickets are over £800 now that might not affect our supporters who watch on line or on sky but it will affect the supporters who turn up at goodison.

I've been to an Italian that is in a shite premises, could make more money than they do, has double booking mistakes galore and could be absolutely massive because of the chef and the food he makes. Instead it just makes a decent living for its owner who hasn't got a clue on how to run it.

When the chef gets nabbed or starts his own business he's totally screwed. Sound familiar? the restaurant is higher than 5th on trip advisor.

Won't happen. If they want to make The US a better side they spend money in their country enhancing their league so one day the big players all go there.

How exactly would that help the US national team? Is that not the reason our national team is so shit? Best league in the world, attracts all the big global stars, thus blocking the route for our homegrown youngsters to progress.

I think that most American businessmen who'd consider investing in a soccer team right now would look at MLS first, unless it was a proven global brand club like ManU or Juventus that came on the market. I'm not saying that from a fan's POV, but from a businessman's POV, because the structure of MLS is a club owner's wet dream compared to the free-spending jungles of the EPL or La Liga. MLS is a salary-capped, cost-controlled league where every club has a chance to be competitive in the league if it builds a good roster, and where nearly all the clubs are debt-free, profitable, and playing in new stadiums (and don't underestimate the value of the latter - buying a club that comes with a modern, up-to-date stadium alreay in place is far more attractive than the prospect of having to shell out tens or hundreds of millions more dollars on top of your original purchase price to get a new stadium built that's up to modern standards). It wasn't that long ago that an average MLS club could be bought for around $25 million US - now the valuations are closer to $100 million US, probably more for a club like Seattle or LA, and that price is probably only going to keep going up in the foreseeable future.