IGNORED

Alex Song

Id say yes and then we can sell gibson... Cus i cant be arsed with him any more

That 's not a bad shout to be fair.

I really really like Gibson but he's made of glass and we could do without it. I wish he could stay fit I think he's a wonderful player.

Song wouldn't come here full stop I don't think. He definitely wont come to get splinters in his arse.

There is only one problem with that. One players wages leaves and 4-6 new players wages go on the books. It's easy saying sell him for 50 million now go and buy 5 players for 10 million to replace him. Even if that player was on 50k a week and you brought 5 players in on 30k a week that is 150k a week so 100k a week more than you were previously playing times that per year then by 5 years and the figures will astound you.

Yes but we all agree upon the need to have a bigger squad. And a bigger squad comes with a bigger wage cost. Simples. We need another 5-6 players to really compete with the big 3-4 and play in Europe at the same time.

Yes but we all agree upon the need to have a bigger squad. And a bigger squad comes with a bigger wage cost. Simples. We need another 5-6 players to really compete with the big 3-4 and play in Europe at the same time.

I'm totally with you on the bigger squad mate but I'm not sure we have the finances to take on another 150k a weeks worth of wages.

I don't think our budget would allow it

I'm totally with you on the bigger squad mate but I'm not sure we have the finances to take on another 150k a weeks worth of wages.

I don't think our budget would allow it

Lets all go out and buy an Everton shirt. Oh wait, None of the money goes to Everton.

I think Everton could handle another 100k a week for wages if they had to. It might mean less money for transfers tho. But the whole argument is hypothetical. No-one has offered us 50mil for McCarthy and no-one will. Because he isn't worth 50mil. He is however worth his weight in gold to Everton.

Just want to check something in this rumour-piece.

http://www.nsno.co.uk/everton-news/2014/08/rumour-blues-to-sign-song-on-loan/

Specifically, this sentence, the likes of which I read pretty regularly, re numerous teams and players:"Toffees boss Roberto Martinez could be set to make a move to add Song to his squad."

The trifecta of "could be," "set to," and "make a move" bespeaks a rumour of a rumour. There's probably an American version -- a rumor of a rumor -- of such obfuscation masquerading as information, but English football writers provide a lofty standard.

Any guesstimation as to what percentage of the time managers who "could be set to make a move" actually sign the lad? I'm asking.

The trifecta of "could be," "set to," and "make a move" bespeaks a rumour of a rumour. There's probably an American version -- a rumor of a rumor -- of such obfuscation masquerading as information, but English football writers provide a lofty standard.

That's one of the finest paragraphs I've ever read on Toffeetalk. Kudos (*doffs cap*)!

Just want to check something in this rumour-piece.

http://www.nsno.co.uk/everton-news/2014/08/rumour-blues-to-sign-song-on-loan/

Specifically, this sentence, the likes of which I read pretty regularly, re numerous teams and players:"Toffees boss Roberto Martinez could be set to make a move to add Song to his squad."

Any guesstimation as to what percentage of the time managers who "could be set to make a move" actually sign the lad? I'm asking.

Speak English will ya :wub:

• 2 weeks later...