IGNORED

Squad for next season

Since we're all excited about the Lukaku signing I thought I'd start a thread about our squad for the upcoming season. In my opinion we need another 2, a winger and a striker. Whoever they may be is another discussion but this is how I see Bobby looking at our squad for this season.

GK - 1. Howard 2. Joel

RB - 1. Coleman 2. Hibbert 3. Browning

CB - 1. Jagielka 2. Stones

CB - 1. Distin 2. Alcaraz

LB - 1. Baines 2. Oviedo 3. Garbutt

CM - 1. Barry 2. Gibson

CM - 1. McCarthy 2. Besic

RW - 1. Mirallas 2. ?????

LW - 1. Pienaar 2. McGeady

AM - 1. Barkley 2. Osman

ST - 1. Lukaku 2. Naismith 3. Kone 4.?????

Other players to add to the equation:

Duffy (unsure if he's good enough tbh)

McAleny (Same as Duffy really)

Lundstram (looks a prospect, might be too early)

Now, if I'm being fussy I would say we need another 4:

1. Cover for Coleman at RB, dunno if Hibbert is passed it, but then again he's solid enough and he's not going to cost us a game with good players around him.

2. A young left footed CB. Distin is a beast and he's playing like a 26 year old rather than a 36 year old. Alcaraz, his cover, is prone to injuries but could be an excellent player if fit, really liked what I've seen from him. Yet again, a CB is not a priority I wouldn't have thought.

3. We definitely need a RW as we have no one to cover Mirallas. Last year we had Gerry, we haven't replaced him and with more games I think it's a must.

4. I would like 1 more striker of decent quality. Unsure if Traore is that man though.

Therefore after discussing the posibilities, I have come to the conclusion we need 2 more. A Striker and a Right Winger. RB cover and the CB will have to wait until it comes a priority I think. Thoughts?

Edited by Geth

I pretty much agree with that, I feel our squad depth is pretty much the best it has been for a long time. I think he will bed in a few youngsters this season like Garbutt, Kennedy, Browning and McAleny which will again provide some more depth fro cup games and Europa.

I was working out our teams for a league game and Europa and i feel it is pretty strong on both fronts. I agree we need a minimum of 2 new players and I believe like you it's a wide man and another striker (loan perhaps). I would like to see a more direct, tricky winger with pace like Gerry to come in to give us that option off the bench and a striker to cover Rom when he is off form or needs a rest (as he is still 21).

I would like us to try and sign Kagawa, he is a class player and i feel would flourish under Martinez and feel he would thrive as a number 10, when Barkley is rested.

For me, i dont see too many changes in the teams in the Europa and League games just one or two to freshen it up, here are my teams using the squad:

First Team (League)

Howard, Coleman, Jags, Distin, Baines, McCarthy, Barry, Kev, Barkley, Pienaar, Lukaku.

2nd Team (Europa)

Howard, Coleman, Stones, Alcaraz, Oviedo/Garbutt, Besic, Osman, Mcgeady, Naismith, (insert new wide man), Kone.

Then we have the kids to come in like Browning, Duffy, McAleny, Ledson, Kennedy, Stanek, Lunstrum

The squad is looking bright but it needs 2-4 players whether its loans or not just to be able i feel to be challenging on all fronts.

Think we are missing someone that can turn a game. Doesn't necessarily need to be a starter but someone that we can throw on and will shake things up with something unexpected.

Wings look a bit bare and I'm not sold yet on McGeady. For me Peanuts isn't the player he was either.

from what i've read Browning didn't look a right back at all in the friendly last week and he normally plays centre back. not sure if this is true and didn't really see him much in the Leicester game.

I'm pretty sure Joel will get keeping duties for Europa.

We'll see plenty of rotation generally, I wouldn't seperate the wingers so much as all of them have played both sides. I'm sure PIenaar, Mcgeady, Mirallas will all get games either side as well as probably Naismith occasionally dipping in to those positions when required.

I'm hoping that Besic comes good and is pushing Barry for his spot, his passing looked very good in the World Cup and could create things and open things up well if so which neither Barry or McCarthy often do (though Barry sometimes does).

Looking forward to seeing them all get a crack anyway. I expect we'll have a couple of young signings to come and maybe a loan or 2 before the end of the window.

I think we definitely need another centre forward and winger. I have doubts about the right back and goalkeeping positions, but I don't see us doing anything to address that after re-signing Hibbert and buying Robles just a year ago.

In goal I trust Howard, he's adapted well to leaving the goalline a bit more and he's had a very good season, but I don't trust Robles. I hope Robles doesn't get to play in the Europa League games either, because I want us to win it.

As a right back, I obviously love Seamus. And I'd be fine with a couple of games of Hibbert playing a season just to let Seamus rest a bit. But if Seamus were to get a serious injury, having Hibbert start at right back for a couple of months is going to hurt us. Perhaps Stones could play there or Browning could step up when called on, but it's still one of the areas where we can't do with injuries.

At centre back we should be well covered with Jagielka, Distin, Stones and Alcaraz. Besic can play there. We've still got Duffy and Browning. And I think I'd almost be more comfortable with Hibbert at CB than at RB as well.

Left back should be okay with Baines and Oviedo. It's looking like Garbutt might even be ready to take left back minutes as well so we should try to find him some minutes as well. Perhaps we could play Oviedo on the wing or Baines in midfield a couple of times.

In midfield we've got Barry and Gibson as the players that just keep things ticking, with Gibson being a bit more progressive than Barry. McCarthy and Besic provide the legs. And Barkley and Naismith are the attacking midfielders/second strikers. Osman can fill in both in the double pivot (when partnered with the right team mate) and as the attacking midfielder, as well as on the wing if need be.

On the wings we have Pienaar, Mirallas and McGeady. I think I'd like to see the combination of Mirallas on the left and McGeady on the right a lot this season. Playing Mirallas on the left is going to play to his strengths, it is going to open up the pitch and the goal for him (and his right foot). McGeady seems to be more comfortable putting crosses in, which isn't one of Kevin's strengths, so he plays on the right. They can both play the other wing as well. Pienaar can play from the left, so I think we need another right winger, preferably a left-footed player imo so Atsu would be fine imo.

At centre forward we have Lukaku and whatever remains of Koné. Naismith can fill in if need be. But we still need another body. Lacina Traoré on a season-long loan would be fine with me if Monaco still want to let him leave after losing a couple of strikers this window.

We need to replace Deulofeu. Mcgeady for me is a 20minute impact player. Very little end product over 90mins.

I'm not keen on Alcaraz as cover. He did ok but his injuries are terrible and he's badly slow.

It's out wide though that we need cover. If Oviedo comes back he's an extra body for out there but can't see him being fully fit for a while.

Edited by MiguelCotto

We need to replace Deulofeu. Mcgeady for me is a 20minute impact player. Very little end product over 90mins.

I'm not keen on Alcaraz as cover. He did ok but his injuries are terrible and he's badly slow.

It's out wide though that we need cover. If Oviedo comes back he's an extra body for out there but can't see him being fully fit for a while.

agreed a winger is a must. i'm hoping we blow the rest of the kitty and get a quick young winger that can come on late this season to impact the match. next year he can take pienaar's place.

means even less than players signing a contract extension, if the right offer comes in, they will think about it

It wont be a loan though that's for sure. After what crying arse said about us last year , he also wont loan to a direct rival and I can't see us trying for a permanent deal.

For me we still need a "number 10" to stand in for Barkley, a winger and a genuine pacy forward. If the papers are right and United would sell Kagawa for £8 mill we should be all over that. Astu looks done so that leaves a striker. Remys wages would be too much for us so I think it will be a loan. I don't want Traore and with Monaco selling strikers I can see him staying

• 2 weeks later...

With Martinez suggesting he wants to add just one more and the Atsu signing expected to be announced this week, do people think we have the numbers required to compete in 4 competitions this year? What do people think is the perfect squad size?

I would like to see 2 players in every position with an extra defender and an extra forward to allow us to go 3 at the back or 2 up top when the occasion calls for it without stretching the squad. Any more than that could have a negative effect on the squad by unsettling players who are not getting enough playing time and blocking the route to the first team for young players coming through.

With that in mind, I think purely in terms of numbers we have the perfect squad size now, Where we need to improve is the quality of some of the squad players. Of the players currently on the books how many are good enough for a team wanting to sustain a top 4 challenge?

With Martinez suggesting he wants to add just one more and the Atsu signing expected to be announced this week, do people think we have the numbers required to compete in 4 competitions this year? What do people think is the perfect squad size?

I would like to see 2 players in every position with an extra defender and an extra forward to allow us to go 3 at the back or 2 up top when the occasion calls for it without stretching the squad. Any more than that could have a negative effect on the squad by unsettling players who are not getting enough playing time and blocking the route to the first team for young players coming through.

With that in mind, I think purely in terms of numbers we have the perfect squad size now, Where we need to improve is the quality of some of the squad players. Of the players currently on the books how many are good enough for a team wanting to sustain a top 4 challenge?

The size would be ok if there was more quality. Unfortunately there isn't so in my eyes we need a right back another winger an attacking mid and a centre forward. Get rid of Hibbert, And Kone to make room.

If only it were that simple eh :(

Since we're all excited about the Lukaku signing I thought I'd start a thread about our squad for the upcoming season. In my opinion we need another 2, a winger and a striker. Whoever they may be is another discussion but this is how I see Bobby looking at our squad for this season.

GK - 1. Howard 2. Joel

RB - 1. Coleman 2. Hibbert 3. Browning

CM - 1. Barry 2. Gibson

RW - 1. Mirallas 2. ?????

AM - 1. Barkley 2. Osman

ST - 1. Lukaku 2. Naismith 3. Kone 4.?????

Other players to add to the equation:

Duffy (unsure if he's good enough tbh)

McAleny (Same as Duffy really)

Lundstram (looks a prospect, might be too early)

Now, if I'm being fussy I would say we need another 4:

1. Cover for Coleman at RB, dunno if Hibbert is passed it, but then again he's solid enough and he's not going to cost us a game with good players around him.

2. A young left footed CB. Distin is a beast and he's playing like a 26 year old rather than a 36 year old. Alcaraz, his cover, is prone to injuries but could be an excellent player if fit, really liked what I've seen from him. Yet again, a CB is not a priority I wouldn't have thought.

3. We definitely need a RW as we have no one to cover Mirallas. Last year we had Gerry, we haven't replaced him and with more games I think it's a must.

4. I would like 1 more striker of decent quality. Unsure if Traore is that man though.

Therefore after discussing the posibilities, I have come to the conclusion we need 2 more. A Striker and a Right Winger. RB cover and the CB will have to wait until it comes a priority I think. Thoughts?

GK - 1. Howard 2. Joel

RB - 1. Coleman 2. Possibly Richards? 3. Hibbert

CM - 1. Barry 2. Gibson

RW - 1. Mirallas 2. Atsu

AM - 1. Barkley 2. Osman

ST - 1. Lukaku 2. Naismith 3. Kone 4. Hennen (Youngster?)

Looks like if he signs Richards, Atsu and Hennen then we should be there. However, would like to see a more mature striker brought into the squad.

Atsu, I'd say, is more of a winger to back up Mirallas, rather than a striker.