IGNORED

Europa League Watch

Games in Europe are quite different from games in the Prem. They are a lot more cagey, a lot more strategic, and a lot less entertaining in our eyes. We shouldn't translate that to mean that we're not playing well. The results speak for themselves.

spot on

So we struggled to string passes together because the games in Europe are different? Not being able to do the basics right is inexcusable.

But our whole problem was that we couldn't pass to save our lives for big chunks of the game, that's got fuck all to do with the games being different tactically.

After the game, both managers commented on the pitch. Apparently it was very heavy and slow due to a lot of recent rain. Yes players must adjust, but it explains why so many passes were not completed by both teams.

After the game, both managers commented on the pitch. Apparently it was very heavy and slow due to a lot of recent rain. Yes players must adjust, but it explains why so many passes were not completed by both teams.

Some of the loose passes were down to the pitch but a lot of the misplaced passes were ridiculous and absolutely nothing to do with the pitch.

But our whole problem was that we couldn't pass to save our lives for big chunks of the game, that's got fuck all to do with the games being different tactically.

Neither Steve nor I mentioned passing, so I don't get your point? I was agreeing that European games are tactically very different

Neither Steve nor I mentioned passing, so I don't get your point? I was agreeing that European games are tactically very different

People were concerned at our performance, Steve said the games are very different (tactically) in Europe, but people were concerned about the performance (partly) because our passing was atrocious, which is nothing to do with tactics.

People were concerned at our performance, Steve said the games are very different (tactically) in Europe, but people were concerned about the performance (partly) because our passing was atrocious, which is nothing to do with tactics.

Ok, missed that. I just took the statement as it was, which I still agree with. Can't comment on the game as I was in the hospital

• 2 weeks later...
Guest millwallforever

Wolfsburg proving lethal once again against Krasnodar. Statistics:

Total shots: 17-16

On target: 7-6

Score: 5-1

Two late goals, four in total by substitutes (Hunt & Bendtner).

Edited by millwallforever

Wolfsburg proving lethal once again against Krasnodar. Statistics:

Total shots: 17-16

On target: 7-6

Score: 5-1

Two late goals, four in total by substitutes (Hunt & Bendtner).

Krasandor are shite mate. But I reckon we'll get a hiding at Wolfsburg.

Guest millwallforever

From the UEFA site:

"In the last 32, group winners and the four third-placed sides from the UEFA Champions League with the best records are seeded, guaranteeing they will play the second leg at home. Teams from the same group or the same association cannot be drawn together. From the round of 16 onwards, the draw is free."

We need to win this group. Now that we are in pole position, there is no need to hand over the momentum to the Germans. We will have to do our utmost to make life as hard possible for Wolfsburg.

Edited by millwallforever

We need to win this group. Now that we are in pole position, there is no need to hand over the momentum to the Germans. We will have to do our utmost to make life as hard possible for Wolfsburg.

They're second behind Bayern in the Bundesliga currently and on a great run (won their last five) so not easy, but with the support we'll have there all is possible. Say it for every away game in Europe, a draw is enough.

They're second behind Bayern in the Bundesliga currently and on a great run (won their last five) so not easy, but with the support we'll have there all is possible. Say it for every away game in Europe, a draw is enough.

agreed, that match more than most. a draw would be a massive result there. i feel the last fixture at home against Krasnodar is winnable and hopefully they'll be out of the competition by then and field a low strength team. the Wolfsburg match is paramount now. COYB

Congratulations,

real good and leg-printing victory against Lille.
This meet in my hometown each other, the two best of this group. I especially look forward to hopefully loud support from your supporters.

If anyone still needs a few tips on where you can drink a few beers before, I'm happy to help. Or other advices like traffic and so on.

Maybe we'll meet,

• 3 weeks later...

MADE UP, won our group. Guaranteed a seed for the round of 32 with the other group winners and the top 4 teams from Champions League (the rest of the 3rd place CL guys are unseeded). Here are the other possible teams

Group A - Borussia Monchengladbach, Villarreal, FC Zurich

Group B - Brugge, Torino, Helsinki

Group C - Spurs, Besiktas

Group D - Salzburg, Celtic

Group E - Dinamo Moscow, PSV Eindhoven

Group F - Inter, Other 3 wide open (St. Etienne, FK Qarabag, Dnipro)

Group G - Feyenoord, Sevilla, Rijeka

Group H - Everton, Wolfsburg

Group I - Napoli, Sparta Prague, Young Boys

Group J - Dynamo Kiev, AAB, Steaua Bucuresti

Group K - Fiorentina, Guingamp, PAOK Salonika

Group L - Legia Warsaw, Trabzonspor

CL 3rd place teams -

Group A - Olympiakos 6 points

Group B - Liverpool 4 pionts, Basel 6 points

Group C - Zenit St. Petersburg 7 points, AS Monaco 8 points

Group D - Anderlecht

Group E - Roma, CSKA Moscow, Man City all 5 points

Group F - Ajax 2 points, Apoel 1 point

Group G - Sporting Lisbon 7 points, Schalke 04 5 points , NK Maribor 3 points

Group H - Athletic Bilbao 4 points, Bate Borisov 3 points

Of the possible 2nd place teams I really don't want to play Villarreal, Borrussia Monchengladbach, and Sevilla. Some of the 3rd Place CL guys could be trouble as well such as Roma, Zenit, Bilbao, and Olympiakos. Not really scared by any others.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Guest millwallforever

Thanks for the very useful overview. I would assume that we as group winners will meet a second place team from another Europa League group?? Celtic would be nice; like playing a mediocre Championship side :piss:

Thanks for the very useful overview. I would assume that we as group winners will meet a second place team from another Europa League group?? Celtic would be nice; like playing a mediocre Championship side :piss:

possibly (yes i'd love that matchup). the group winners and top 4 CL 3rd place teams get seeded. all 2nd place europa and other 4 CL teams are unseeded. So we'd play one of them, which could be some difficult teams depending on the results (sevilla, zenit)

There are a LOT of very good sides we can get in the first knock out stage. Knowing our luck we'll get the hardest draw possible but regardless, there are still plenty of really really good sides that are not seeded.

You need to see the glass as half full, not half empty. We're seeded, and we're going to play an unseeded team. That's much better than playing a seeded team. :) To win the whole thing, we're going to have to play strong sides eventually, so there's no point fretting about it right now.

You need to see the glass as half full, not half empty. We're seeded, and we're going to play an unseeded team. That's much better than playing a seeded team. :) To win the whole thing, we're going to have to play strong sides eventually, so there's no point fretting about it right now.

I'm not seein the glass as anything nor am I fretting. The simple fact of the matter is we can get a hard team whether we're seeded or not. Obviously I'd prefer us to be seeded but just because we are doesn't mean we're getting an easy ride.

There is going to be a fair few un-seeded teams that are as good if not better than some seeded so it's a bit of the luck of the draw.

possibly (yes i'd love that matchup). the group winners and top 4 CL 3rd place teams get seeded. all 2nd place europa and other 4 CL teams are unseeded. So we'd play one of them, which could be some difficult teams depending on the results (sevilla, zenit)

It's guaranteed we'll get Sevilla and Deulofeu will have hand knocking us out....

**vault** it

The first 4 teams from CL 3rd place to Europa are here.

Olympiakos, Liverpool, Zenit St. Petersburg, and Anderlecht.

And Liverpool have the worst record of those four, so they will need to be almost impossibly lucky tonight to be seeded for the last thirty-two (too many permutations to be specific); not that we could be drawn against them, the draw isn't completely open until the last sixteen.

And Liverpool have the worst record of those four, so they will need to be almost impossibly lucky tonight to be seeded for the last thirty-two (too many permutations to be specific); not that we could be drawn against them, the draw isn't completely open until the last sixteen.

spot on. i've been reading the rules of the league and getting familiar as well. i'm just glad we're seeded, it should help a little.