IGNORED

Wolfsburg

Matt

29.593 x £30 > 40,221 x £20. From a business perspective, it's about maximum revenue, not maximum number of fans present. I'd say they got it about right.

Maybe so (marginally) if you look at it purely as a business proposition but I'd rather have had a full ground; our gate receipts amount to a very small proportion of our income in comparison to the teams we're competing against.

Great result, combined with the other result in the group makes for a perfect start.

Still issues at the back though which are very concerning.

Certain players are going to need resting for the Palace match, which we have to win. It's going to be interesting to see how RM finds the balance. For me he needs to keep the stongest team for the league and let the Swansea game go.

Don't think anyone can argue that the scoreline flattered us. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining but on another night that could have finished 4-4 but that's football. Wolfsburg were wasteful of their chances and we put ours away so game over.

I have to have a moan about Mgeady though, our right side is massively exposed when he plays, the room on that side their number 23 had was ridiculous and he kept getting sucked inside which is surprising then he wasn't tracking back. Coleman must have been chokka with him all game. I don't think he played badly but our right side is dreadful when we lose the ball.

I disagree I think McGeady was on of our better players. When going on the counter attack he was the difference and played some important balls and held up play. I do agree about the tracking back though but maybe he has been told that by Martinez. Maybe Martinez didn't want to shut up and shop and wanted more goals. I noticed when Eto'o came on McGeady started to run back and Eto'o said something and for some reason it looked like they were playing two up front near the end McGeady and Eto'o were in line with each other.

Maybe this was because Gibson came on and was told to cover the right field or something because we had 3 centre midfielders on the pitch with McGeady, Mirallas and Eto'o all playing up top on the counter.

Yeah we were very lucky with the score but that is football like you say. Another team giving them that much space would punish us, Chelsea being a good example. We didn't really close them down last night and let them get the shot away on more than one occasion. Again maybe this is a Martinez tactic to back off the opponent, don't go to tight to the player and get punished but at the same time giving them loads of room is asking for trouble!

I think if anyone had a mediocre game it would be Lukaku. I do believe in him don't get me wrong, it has only been 5 games into the season. His hold up play was great and was good with his feet once he had the ball under control. Wolfburgs players seemed to be a lot quicker/stronger than him though. Also his passing is terrible and his touch can be poor as well. How many times did Lukaku take on defenders yesterday and go for the pass and misplace it, I lost count if I'm honest. I do think he is a good player but yesterday he had a bad game in my opinion.

I disagree I think McGeady was on of our better players. When going on the counter attack he was the difference and played some important balls and held up play. I do agree about the tracking back though but maybe he has been told that by Martinez. Maybe Martinez didn't want to shut up and shop and wanted more goals. I noticed when Eto'o came on McGeady started to run back and Eto'o said something and for some reason it looked like they were playing two up front near the end McGeady and Eto'o were in line with each other.

Maybe this was because Gibson came on and was told to cover the right field or something because we had 3 centre midfielders on the pitch with McGeady, Mirallas and Eto'o all playing up top on the counter.

Yeah we were very lucky with the score but that is football like you say. Another team giving them that much space would punish us, Chelsea being a good example. We didn't really close them down last night and let them get the shot away on more than one occasion. Again maybe this is a Martinez tactic to back off the opponent, don't go to tight to the player and get punished but at the same time giving them loads of room is asking for trouble!

I think if anyone had a mediocre game it would be Lukaku. I do believe in him don't get me wrong, it has only been 5 games into the season. His hold up play was great and was good with his feet once he had the ball under control. Wolfburgs players seemed to be a lot quicker/stronger than him though. Also his passing is terrible and his touch can be poor as well. How many times did Lukaku take on defenders yesterday and go for the pass and misplace it, I lost count if I'm honest. I do think he is a good player but yesterday he had a bad game in my opinion.

Mgeady was good going forward he was really lively and as I said I don't think he played bad at all but our right side is woeful there was masses of space there it was like a huge void that number 23 of theirs could have stopped and smoked a ciggy then carried on at times. It doesn't happen on the left side because Mirallas doesn't allow it to happen but Mcgeady just atops when he loses the ball and he kept getting sucked inside a lot, losing it getting caught out of position then doing absolutely fuck all to recover his position.

When Gibson and Eto'o came on we were almost playing 4-3-3 with Mirallas and Mcgeady either side of Eto'o but a tiny bit deeper for the two wider players so he didn't really have to worry about tracking back. Whether Martinez wants this only he knows but the right side needs sorting out because we can't go on leaving it open like that.

Agree with Lukaku though, he was poor last night.

Edited by Paddock

First off, yesterday was a great win. Wolfsburg are a very decent team and to beat them 4-1 was impressive even if the scoreline was a bit flattering (still think we were the better team). I'd say the players are now slowly reaching the level they should have been at Leicester and 2nd half vs Arsenal. Still a bit to go though, but it excites me that there's much more to come. I must say, watching last night, I've never seen such an attacking Everton side since I started following us. We have goals all over the pitch and on the counter attack we can hurt teams with our pace. The first goal was wonderful, beautiful passing between 3/4 players for Naismith to stick it in again - what a player he's turning out to be. 2nd goal showed how attacking Martinez has made Everton, with both Baines and Coleman in the box at the same time for Seamus to nod it in. Mcgeady did well for the third, even if it was outside the box. Bainesy did what he always does - puts em away. The fourth was also a lovely goal. I, like many on here, wasn't convinced by Eto'o. I thought he was coming for a last big pay day and that he was finished as a player. I will put my hands up and admit I'm wrong. I can say with confidence that every touch he's had as an Everton player so far has been a good one. First touch, vision, movement, finishing - he's still got it. Looking forward to seeing more of him, hopefully a start against Palace.

What also excites me is that we've got players to come back into that squad - Oviedo, Kone, Barkley, Pienaar, Distin plus the likes of Garbutt and Browning are ready to put a shift in. We have a very strong squad now, the strongest we've had for over 25 years. Bought tickets for the Swansea Carling Cup game where we'll probably see our second XI however I'm looking forward to seeing the likes of Atsu, Gibson, Besic, Eto'o put their hand up for the first team with what will hopefully be a good performance.

I thought McGeady was terrible in attack myself - slowed things down time and time again when he should have been looking to take his man on, and then the few occasions he did find the balls to try and beat his man he mostly lost out.

I thought he played ok, he wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination like but he was lively and busy but as I've said he seemed to be getting sucked inside quite a bit. Frustrates the life out of me when he loses it and just stops .

What did you think of the atmosphere, Romey? I thought it was buzzing considering there was less than 30k

Didn't get to see game, delighted with result though. Judging by comments Eto showed the type of forward play which Rom needs to develop in order to become the player many think he can be. I really hope Eto takes him aside and mentors him.

Glad to see Howard prove doubters wrong.

Lukaku wasn't great last night. I'm one of his biggest fans as you know but he wasn't at the races last night. Eto'o is just on another planet to anything we have. The guy is head and shoulders in terms of ability and a footballing brain above the rest of the squad. He just oozes class. That can only rub off on Lukaku.

Got to be pleased with a 4-1 win tonight. Never thought that would be so. In fairness, the scoreline is a bit flattering. Wolfsburg had far too many chances for my liking.

What's also pleasing is that we have Barkley, Pienaar, Oviedo, Distin missing...superb.

We weren't at our best today. The best is still to come. We are still learning our way.

So I said I wasn't impressed with Lukaku in the first half. And got a bit of light backlash. Well, sorry, but I was right, as it continued into the 2nd half. The difference can be seen when Eto'o came on...the difference in control, turning, passing, movement. Lukaku will learn loads from this guy.

I've got mixed feelings tonight. A very good result against a good team. Yet still too many 'imperfections' in our game.

i heard the game on the radio yesterday and watched the first half last night before bed. again, i am a novice at watching football but i thought in the first half, lukaku played decently. he maintained possession - had a good touch on some passes and his mere presence opened it up for others. he was fighting defenders off the ball and controlled it for the most part. again, this was just what i observed in the first half. and he was instrumental in the sheamus goal.

a buddy of mine said we should hope lukaku becomes the best of the 2nd tier scorers but not get too good to get to the first tier b/c then a big club will come along and take him away.

i am very happy with the result but again, we get sloppy at times and we can't play with a lead so far. we fall back and just don't stay aggressive. but again, this team is very exciting to watch.

eto'o is the best bench player i've seen so far this season. if it's close in the final 30 mins, bring him on and watch him make everyone better and scare the living crap outta the other team. i would love to see him play with mirallas and lukaku.

I was a bit disappointed in McCarthy and McGeady, the first time I have seen them. Whenever they became involved in a slick passing movement, the pace of play seemed to slow and momentum was lost. OK defensively but just didn't seem sharp enough. Maybe I am being unfair on just one viewing.

I was a bit disappointed in McCarthy and McGeady, the first time I have seen them. Whenever they became involved in a slick passing movement, the pace of play seemed to slow and momentum was lost. OK defensively but just didn't seem sharp enough. Maybe I am being unfair on just one viewing.

I don't know whats happened to him this season. He just backs off all the time! Certainly not at the standards he set himself last year but he isn't alone in that respect :)

Why? Just why even make nearly a full paragraph on Gibson? As though he cost is the game. They had 3 or 4 free kicks from similar positions because of other players jumping in. They were bound to tick one off. I thought he did ok but to point him out over 10 minutes is just ridiculous. You nailed it he's bound to be rusty. But you could still see he's a decent footballer and yes he did complete a pass.

Just saying it how it was! He came on and wasn't up to speed. Just because others also gave away silly freekicks (Naismith was the main culprit I think) it doesn't make it any better. He did help the balance of the team though and like I said he is bound to be rusty. I was hoping for a bit more as he looked sharp when he came on in preseason, maybe the midweek game for ROI had an effect?

I thought McGeady was terrible in attack myself - slowed things down time and time again when he should have been looking to take his man on, and then the few occasions he did find the balls to try and beat his man he mostly lost out.

Yeh me too. His best work came late in the game but before that he wasted several opportunities with poor decisions, incomplete passes or just losing the ball. He should have done better with a couple of shots he had too. Defensively he was shocking too. He did make the effort to get back but the opposition attacker just ran past him like he wasnt there anyway.