IGNORED

The Shite (Away)

Romey 1878

Guest blueboy122

We were chasing the game yesterday and every time Lukaku had the ball in the opposition half he lost, we couldn't build attacks or even get near the goal because he gave the ball away time after time and it was pathetic actually embarrassing. He put us on the Back foot and made us vulnerable to a second goal.

Guest blueboy122

Hey if he was smashing them in In front of goal I could leave with his all round game being well below sub standard but he isn't and doesn't contribute to the team in any other way, doesn't even win headers or give defenders something to worry about. Christ he's a defenders dream.

Guest blueboy122

Have just watched the game this morning after being out of the country for a week. Have to say was impressed with the defense, I though Jags played well and Stones looked allot more comfortable playing with him. I think that this is the prefered centreback partnership, and I think it settled the whole side.

I think having Besic in the side was a masterstroke from Martinez, his all round game and energy was just what we needed to compliment the "They shall not pass" attitude of Barry and McCarthy - although to be fair to McCarthy he offered allot more going forward and supporting the attacking players this time. Besic looks like his all round game is perfectly suited to a Martinez style team, I also think he will offer something that Barry and McCarthy lack which is the quick feet and an eye for a pass that will turn defense into attack much faster.

Despite the constant slating McGeady has received by some on this site, he offers something we need, which is direct running at opponents at pace with great ball control. Does he always track back - no, does he always make the right decision - no, but he offers a threat and will continue to score goals and create chances. He's not Mirallas but hes a good player who on his day is a real goal creator / scorer.

When I read the posts about this game I thought Lukaku had been playing pinball rather than football, having watched the game I though he played well, he was on the right of the top 3, he came central when he could, looked to take people on and was a real threat. We all know his touch is spasmodic but he is getting better, and unlike allot of players wants to improve. I truly believe that he will score more than 20 goals for us this season.

Overall I think this result can kick start our season, and was impressed with the comeback after the result against Palace. With Rooney suspended I think we can get a big result at Utd.

Let's make a gentleman's agreement/bet.

If Lukaku scores more than 20 goals this season I will donate £50 to the site.

If Lukaku scores under 20 goals you will donate £50 to the site.

Hey if he was smashing them in In front of goal I could leave with his all round game being well below sub standard but he isn't and doesn't contribute to the team in any other way, doesn't even win headers or give defenders something to worry about. Christ he's a defenders dream.

right now, lukaku needs someone to set him up or he needs to breakaway and we have to play the long pass. he played on the right yesterday which forces him to become a creator - which he is not that great at right now. if you play him in the middle and just let him crash, he will look much better. he's never going to be a class footsman, but he can score when we are attacking and he's the recipient, not the initiator.

Guest blueboy122

right now, lukaku needs someone to set him up or he needs to breakaway and we have to play the long pass. he played on the right yesterday which forces him to become a creator - which he is not that great at right now. if you play him in the middle and just let him crash, he will look much better. he's never going to be a class footsman, but he can score when we are attacking and he's the recipient, not the initiator.

We should have just got Owen out of retirement then or bought simply a goal poacher for buttons. Kevin Phillips type player can't do anything else but poach, but instead we have signed a player who truely believes the hype that surrounds him created by some deluded fans and pundits this so called next big thing and a player with potential that can't control a ball.

I fear Mourinho has absolutely had our pants down whilst he has traded Lukaku for a big mean goal scoring machine.

Guest millwallforever

I don't think it is correct that Lukaku is incapable of controlling the ball. The problem is rather psychological. He gets too carried away when he receives the ball. This has to do with lack of experience. He needs time.

Guest blueboy122

I don't think it is correct that Lukaku is incapable of controlling the ball. The problem is rather psychological. He gets too carried away when he receives the ball. This has to do with lack of experience. He needs time.

I have seen 9 year olds control the ball better than Lukaku so I don't buy into the experience excuse. Touch of the ball is the same at any level of league you are playing in for example if Lukaku was playing Sunday league football his touch would still be the same, you either have it or you don't, a bit like the genius of a Bergkamp, Messi, Zidance etc I don't think it's something that can be coached it's a skill you poses or you don't.

I don't think we should need to give him time to get something right that is the absolute basic of the game. What we should be giving him time for is things like decision making etc all the flaws that will stop him becoming from the one of the best strikers in the world that he is perceived to be in a few years not a basic of the game.

Guest millwallforever

Exactly my point. So, do you think that a professional footballer is incapable of basic skills possessed by any 9 year old kid?

Check out some of his goals for WBA where he does display excellent first touch.

I stand by my main point: it boils down to inexperience and gushes of adrenaline.

I have seen 9 year olds control the ball better than Lukaku

Exactly my point. So, do you think that a professional footballer is incapable of basic skills possessed by any 9 year old kid?

Check out some of his goals for WBA where he does display excellent first touch.

I stand by my main point: it boils down to inexperience and gushes of adrenaline.

I'd say it comes down to sod all service which leads to impatience and a desperation to make a difference...

Guest blueboy122

I'd say it comes down to sod all service which leads to impatience and a desperation to make a difference...

Which automatically leads to his shite touch and giving the ball away time after time.....

Guest blueboy122

But you prove your own theory wrong.

How can he lack the experience if in your opinion he has shown he has got a good touch in the past?

Guest millwallforever

Trust me, I am as frustrated as you are about this aspect to his game. You can anticipate the cock-up whenever he receives the ball. I really think this is a psychological issue.

Which automatically leads to his shite touch and giving the ball away time after time.....

Guest millwallforever

I see no contradiction here. That he occasionally does get it right merely shows that he possesses the basics which you claim to be non-existent in his case. What he needs to work on is turning the sporadic flashes into habit. This comes with experience. He is still too much of a hothead.

But you prove your own theory wrong.

How can he lack the experience if in your opinion he has shown he has got a good touch in the past?

Still not arguing his touch is bad, just not as bad as is made out. 70/30 bad control/good control.

My defence is twofold:

1. He is getting no service. None. Fuck all. So he drops deep and gets caught out.

2. We are, for some unknown reason, using him as a target man and not playing to his strengths.

Still think it's sad a defence has to be made...

Guest millwallforever

Didn't Lukaku ask for a transfer after he missed that penalty against Bayern? I think it speaks volumes regarding his character. Fragile and insecure...he is a human after all. We need to give him time.

Still not arguing his touch is bad, just not as bad as is made out. 70/30 bad control/good control.

My defence is twofold:

1. He is getting no service. None. Fuck all. So he drops deep and gets caught out.
2. We are, for some unknown reason, using him as a target man and not playing to his strengths.

Edited by millwallforever

Guest blueboy122

I see no contradiction here. That he occasionally does get it right merely shows that he possesses the basics which you claim to be non-existent in his case. What he needs to work on is turning the sporadic flashes into habit. This comes with experience. He is still too much of a hothead.

He does show it in flashes agreed but so do thousands of players that have been left by the wayside it's doing it on a regular basis that makes you a good player. We need a striker that can hold the ball and can control the ball especially now we are playing with 3 forwards.

Saying he does have a good touch 'sometimes' isn't good enough for me.

Guest blueboy122

Didn't Lukaku ask for a transfer after he missed that penalty against Bayern? I think it speaks volumes regarding his character. Fragile and insecure...he is a human after all. We need to give him time.

What volumes does it speak?

Guest blueboy122

My defence is twofold:

Matt no offence but the excuses you use for him can not be applied to my argument, if I was saying he isn't scoring enough then yes the service argument would apply.

But how do you apply the no service argument to his shite touch and the inability to not control a ball, inability to win a header, the constant running into players. The only person who is at fault for my issues with Lukaku is Lukaku

How many goals and assists did he achieve with us last season?

How many with West Brom the season before?

How many of us wanted us to sign him, and how many of us were made up when we did?

He is an Everton player and will have my total support while he is.

He is also a young player looking to improve his game, who is not the finished article, but will get better.

My opinion.

Guest blueboy122

I was one of the few fans that was against us signing him all for the reasons that I have mentioned.

He is an Everton player and does get my support also, I'll sing his name etc but that won't stop me from having my own opinion on him based from what I see in front of me.

I hope he bangs in 20 goals and improves his touch and makes me and Haf look like fools I really do.

Matt no offence but the excuses you use for him can not be applied to my argument, if I was saying he isn't scoring enough then yes the service argument would apply.

But how do you apply the no service argument to his shite touch and the inability to not control a ball, inability to win a header, the constant running into players. The only person who is at fault for my issues with Lukaku is Lukaku

Again, I accept the argument about him having a bad touch, don't know how many ways I can write that. My argument against is that his touch is one, albeit important, part of his game where he suffers and to write him off because its a weakness is simply crazy to me.

Also, coming to my other points... We are seeing him being involved in more build up play, meaning more touches which is over-highlighting the problem. If we played to his strengths, he would need less touches because he would be running on to the ball, as an example.

We will never agree mate, I just get frustrate at the repetitive criticism, which makes me want to defend him with repetitive couter-arguments :lol:

I remember a rumour but no idea if it was true. Sounds more like Mourihno getting a dig in.

How many goals and assists did he achieve with us last season?

How many with West Brom the season before?

How many of us wanted us to sign him, and how many of us were made up when we did?

He is an Everton player and will have my total support while he is.

He is also a young player looking to improve his game, who is not the finished article, but will get better.

My opinion.

He was responsible, via assist and scoring, for 36% of our goals last season.

All you have to do is watch him when we're warming up to see he has bags of control, he's trapping it, flicking it about and all sorts in the little shirts bibs warm up they have before kick off. I think it's a combination of no service, desperation to score and a 28 million price tag which is weighing on him and everytime something doesn't go right makes him panic and try too hard.

It'll come with him I'm absolutely certain of that.