IGNORED

Krasnodar (A) Europa

markjazzbassist

I'm so excited for this match. I really want us to do well in Europa, hoping to get a result in this match, with the travel it could be a tough one. Krasnodar is doing well in the Russian League, won 4 of their last 5 (other was a draw). Could be a very tough match. I'd like to see our best lineup. If Coleman is still injured Browning would be nice.

Howard

Coleman/Browning Stones Jags Baines

McCarthy Besic

Atsu Naismith Eto'o

Lukaku

Subs: McGeady, Kone, Oviedo

Now they've made their debuts, I'd like to see both Browning and Garbutt play in this one. Jagielka needs resting, and Stones likewise could do with a rest before the United game. I know some won't agree with Osman, but he has the experience, and Naismith needs resting.

Robles

Browning Alcaraz Distin Garbutt

McCarthy Besic Osman

Atsu Oviedo

Eto'o

Bring Kone on as a sub for this one.

Now they've made their debuts, I'd like to see both Browning and Garbutt play in this one. Jagielka needs resting, and Stones likewise could do with a rest before the United game. I know some won't agree with Osman, but he has the experience, and Naismith needs resting.

Robles

Browning Alcaraz Distin Garbutt

McCarthy Besic Osman

Atsu Oviedo

Eto'o

Bring Kone on as a sub for this one.

I'm not sure resting Jagielka is the best thing to do tbh - he'll have his confidence sky high and he's never really been a player that can just slot back in and carry on where he left off if he misses a game, he has to feel his way back in. Would like to see Garbutt and Browning start though. Osman, meh. Will it be a heavy pitch over there? If so, there's no way he should start because he'll be no use. Again I'm weary to start Oviedo after he's been out for so long, I'd much rather build him up - he was nowhere against Swansea, as nice as it was to see him back.

Im not sure its the place to be bringing in youngsters from the start but then again, I would prefer to give Browning some game time ahead of Hibbert purely for development reasons. Browning looks good defensively from what I saw in preseason and his pace and strength will be an asset.

Robles

Browning - Stones - Jags - Baines

Besic - McCarthy - Gibson

Atsu---------------------Mcgeady

Etoo

I think we should keep ourselves compact again and try and hit them on the break. They are bound to come out quickly being at home and if they are that good on the counter then we may as well attempt to take that away from them a little and try and hit them on the counter.

Depending on how the game progresses you can then make it more attacking by bringing in Osman or Naismith through the centre. We could even go 5 at the back and play with 2 strikers fairly easily. If Kone is fit then I would leave Lukaku at home for a proper rest as well as Barry. It would be nice to see Oviedo get some minutes depending on how the game is going as well.

krasnodar won today 3-0, they are playing well recently, this could be a very tough match.

Against the team bottom of the table who have one point from nine games :). They've won their last two against lowly opposition but lost their previous two (both at home) to Dinamo and FC Ufa (another bottom half team); so they look a bit hit and miss to me.

Anyway, like I said before, I'd happily take a point. Bookies have Krasnodar slight favourites.

OPTA FACTS

• Everton have only ever faced one Russian side before in European competition. They won 1-0 at home against Zenit in the 2008 Europa League group stages.
  • As such, this game will be the Toffee's first trip to Russia.
  • This will be Krasnador's first ever clash with a English side in a competitive game.
  • Only Celtic (60.6%) had a poorer passing accuracy than FK Krasnodar (67.4%) in the opening round of Europa League group stage matches.
  • The Toffees have lost four of their last six away matches in Europe (excluding qualifiers), winning the other two.
  • Wolfsburg's 90th minute consolation in their opening match means Everton have kept just one clean sheet in their last eight European fixtures.
  • Everton have alternated between winning and losing their last six European matches.
  • Krasnodar conceded 19 fouls in their opening group match. Only three teams in the Europa League committed more.

Yes, giving away any momentum and confidence we may have built up at Anfield is an excellent idea. I'm in full agreement with this sentiment!

We've already seen that playing on the Sunday after a EL game on a Thursday is challenging. We took a lot of positives from the Wolfsburg game into the Palace game but were still shocking. We have to accept that playing the two games in such close proximity is going to mean changes to the line up. Even sending a full strength side to Russia is no guarantee of a win, but it would probably mean a weaker side playing against Man Utd.

As I said before, a loss on Thursday after fielding a weakened team won't harm our chances of progressing in the EL (which I really want us to do), but another heavy league defeat could do real harm to the teams confidence.

<p>

Against the team bottom of the table who have one point from nine games :). They've won their last two against lowly opposition but lost their previous two (both at home) to Dinamo and FC Ufa (another bottom half team); so they look a bit hit and miss to me.

Anyway, like I said before, I'd happily take a point. Bookies have Krasnodar slight favourites.

OPTA FACTS

• Everton have only ever faced one Russian side before in European competition. They won 1-0 at home against Zenit in the 2008 Europa League group stages.
  • As such, this game will be the Toffee's first trip to Russia.
  • This will be Krasnador's first ever clash with a English side in a competitive game.
  • Only Celtic (60.6%) had a poorer passing accuracy than FK Krasnodar (67.4%) in the opening round of Europa League group stage matches.
  • The Toffees have lost four of their last six away matches in Europe (excluding qualifiers), winning the other two.
  • Wolfsburg's 90th minute consolation in their opening match means Everton have kept just one clean sheet in their last eight European fixtures.
  • Everton have alternated between winning and losing their last six European matches.
  • Krasnodar conceded 19 fouls in their opening group match. Only three teams in the Europa League committed more.

You're right mike, maybe we have more of a chance than I thought! Thanks for those facts, very interesting stuff. The most fouls committed and worst pass rating should definately work in our favor. Not sure how Lille couldn't take advantage of that.

Guest millwallforever

I wouldn't read too much into statistics based on a single game. Krasnodar's 67% pass accuracy against Lille's 71% tells us very little. Krasnodar were the better team and should have won. I also cannot see how there is any correlation between the number of fouls committed and the results achieved by a team. In 2011/12 Bayern were one of the dirtiest teams in the Champions League, yet they made it to the final:

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2012/statistics/round=2000263/clubs/type=foulscommitted/index.html

This is going to be an extremely difficult game, and I consider Krasnodar to be a better team than Lille and at least as good as Wolfsburg. I expect us and Krasnodar make it through to the knock-out stage.

You're right mike, maybe we have more of a chance than I thought! Thanks for those facts, very interesting stuff. The most fouls committed and worst pass rating should definately work in our favor. Not sure how Lille couldn't take advantage of that.

Edited by millwallforever

This is a tough one... How hard do we push here. I don't think we should underestimate Krasnodar however I think we should also be looking to leave a few at home.. We are already without Kev if we start to lose others we will struggle hugely.

Alcaraz and Distan perhaps? Oviedo and Browning as we need Baines fresh. Gibbo should start with either Besic or dare I say Osman. Eto up top and hopefully Kone has a few minutes in him. We're real thin on wingers now...

We've already seen that playing on the Sunday after a EL game on a Thursday is challenging. We took a lot of positives from the Wolfsburg game into the Palace game but were still shocking. We have to accept that playing the two games in such close proximity is going to mean changes to the line up. Even sending a full strength side to Russia is no guarantee of a win, but it would probably mean a weaker side playing against Man Utd.

As I said before, a loss on Thursday after fielding a weakened team won't harm our chances of progressing in the EL (which I really want us to do), but another heavy league defeat could do real harm to the teams confidence.

I'm not suggesting putting out a full-strength side by any stretch of the imagination; I expect changes. But to say to give this game away is silly.

I'm not suggesting putting out a full-strength side by any stretch of the imagination; I expect changes. But to say to give this game away is silly.

That's probably my biggest worry. A few changes for Thursday and then a few more again on Sunday, just enough to disrupt the fluidity of the side (neither of which would be our strongest available) and we end up losing both.

I hope I'm wrong!

This is a tough one... How hard do we push here. I don't think we should underestimate Krasnodar however I think we should also be looking to leave a few at home.. We are already without Kev if we start to lose others we will struggle hugely.

Alcaraz and Distan perhaps? Oviedo and Browning as we need Baines fresh. Gibbo should start with either Besic or dare I say Osman. Eto up top and hopefully Kone has a few minutes in him. We're real thin on wingers now...

Don't know the Russian game of how Krasnodar are likely to play but Europe is normally slower paced than the English game; if that's the case then Ossie's a good shout to start.

Depends what their pitch is like for me. If it's shite then I wouldn't have anywhere near playing.

Another factor I agree, not thought of that. But it should be OK hopefully, still decent weather over there, luckily it's not Siberia.

No idea when this picture was taken but looks pretty well looked after, though it's a groundshare with Kuban so it gets used a lot.

post-1126-0-21915800-1411994283_thumb.jpg

This is going to be an extremely difficult game, and I consider Krasnodar to be a better team than Lille and at least as good as Wolfsburg. I expect us and Krasnodar make it through to the knock-out stage.

If Krasnodar are this solid, then our Europa group would seem easily the strongest. Although the Europa League is nowhere near as prestigious as Champions League, the competition in our group is a major test. As for Thursday's match ......

...... I agree with Btay that RM's strategy here is tricky, and that extends all the way to which players to exempt from the team sheet altogether, sparing them the debilitating trip. I'd prefer he leave Baines, Barry, McCarthy, Stones, Jagielka, Coleman, Pienaar, Lukaku home.

Robles

Browning Alcarez Distin Garbutt/Oviedo

Gibson Besic

Atsu Osman© McGeady

Eto'o

I'd like to see Oviedo sub as LM for some minutes. If necessary, McGeady could shift to RM or even CM. Also hope Kone is finally ready to come on for 20 minutes.

If Distin, Kone, Oviedo are not quite match-fit, we're undermanned. But if they're ready to go, I would welcome their inclusion. I fully concede that the 11 I suggest above is not our strongest. Yet Distin, Alcarez, Atsu, Osman, Gibson, Kone/Oviedo-when-healthy -- all these must play some matches.

I would understand if one (or more) of you respond, "Yes, mate, but not all this lot in the same match."

Obviously, the injuries to Barkley, Mirallas, Pienaar, Coleman, Kone, and Oviedo have badly cut into squad depth, so this first (far) away match in the EL will test RM's squad strategy.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

Guest millwallforever

You might want to check out Krasnodar's dismantling of Spartak and the slow death inflicted on Sociedad.

Gibson is not good enough, Osman too lightweight, and the Brazilians of Krasnodar will be having a field day against Alcaraz.

We are up against a very physical team with a direct style of play. Krasnodar are not your typical Russian team. They are from the south and have a unique combination of aggressive Central Asians, experienced Russians, and pacy South Americans.

We should be playing our best team. I know there is big dilemma, considering that we are up against Manure only a few days later, but I would rather bag 10 points in the Europa League as soon as possible than go to the wire and risk making fools of ourselves.

If Krasnodar are this solid, then our Europa group would seem easily the strongest. Although the Europa League is nowhere near as prestigious as Champions League, the competition in our group is a major test. As for Thursday's match ......

...... I agree with Btay that RM's strategy here is tricky, and that extends all the way to which players to exempt from the team sheet altogether, sparing them the debilitating trip. I'd prefer he leave Baines, Barry, McCarthy, Stones, Jagielka, Coleman, Pienaar, Lukaku home.

Robles

Browning Alcarez Distin Garbutt/Oviedo

Gibson Besic

Atsu Osman© McGeady

Eto'o

I'd like to see Oviedo sub as LM for some minutes. If necessary, McGeady could shift to RM or even CM. Also hope Kone is finally ready to come on for 20 minutes.

If Distin, Kone, Oviedo are not quite match-fit, we're undermanned. But if they're ready to go, I would welcome their inclusion. I fully concede that the 11 I suggest above is not our strongest. Yet Distin, Alcarez, Atsu, Osman, Gibson, Kone/Oviedo-when-healthy -- all these must play some matches.

I would understand if one (or more) of you respond, "Yes, mate, but not all this lot in the same match."

Obviously, the injuries to Barkley, Mirallas, Pienaar, Coleman, Kone, and Oviedo have badly cut into squad depth, so this first (far) away match in the EL will test RM's squad strategy.

You might want to check out Krasnodar's dismantling of Spartak and the slow death inflicted on Sociedad.

Gibson is not good enough, Osman too lightweight, and the Brazilians of Krasnodar will be having a field day against Alcaraz.

We are up against a very physical team with a direct style of play. Krasnodar are not your typical Russian team. They are from the south and have a unique combination of aggressive Central Asians, experienced Russians, and pacy South Americans.

We should be playing our best team. I know there is big dilemma, considering that we are up against Manure only a few days later, but I would rather bag 10 points in the Europa League as soon as possible than go to the wire and risk making fools of ourselves.

I appreciate - seriously - your knowledge and analysis of Krasnodar. As I said, it appears that ours is the proverbial group of death in this season's EL.

I doubt RM's selection will match my preference, so it will be interesting to see how he handles the dilemma. I don't agree that Gibson isn't good enough, but agree that Osman, for all his experience and clever passing, is often a liability. I've mixed impressions of Alcaraz, but will guess he'll play. Gibson, too.

Just don't see how RM can play all his first-choicers on Thursday, given long trip and big Sunday. Again, all the injuries and now-uncertainty about Coleman, Kone, Oviedo, even Distin - it's unsettling.

And the upcoming international "break" isn't a break for many of our first-choicers.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

Guest millwallforever

The trip is actually not that long. Three hour's flight from Liverpool to Krasnodar and time difference of three hours. Theoretically they could take off 10 o'clock in the morning and be back home before midnight.

I appreciate - seriously - your knowledge and analysis of Krasnodar. As I said, it appears that ours is the proverbial group of death in this season's EL.

I doubt RM's selection will match my preference, so it will be interesting to see how he handles the dilemma. I don't agree that Gibson isn't good enough, but agree that Osman, for all his experience and clever passing, is often a liability. I've mixed impressions of Alcaraz, but will guess he'll play. Gibson, too.

Just don't see how RM can play all his first-choicers on Thursday, given long trip and big Sunday. Again, all the injuries and now-uncertainty about Coleman, Kone, Oviedo, even Distin - it's unsettling.

And the upcoming international "break" isn't a break for many of our first-choicers.