IGNORED

A little bit of nostalgia

johnh

When I supported Everton in the years after the war, I can still remember my favourite team.

Goalkeeper: Sagar

Right back: Greenhalgh

Left back: Dugdale

Right half: Lello

Centre Half: Jones (Tommy)

Left Half: Farrell (captain)

Outside right: Corr

Inside right: Wainwright

Centre forward: Dodds

Inside left: Fielding

Outside left: Eglington

Other players who played:

Boyes, Stevenson, Powell, Burnett (goalie) Bentham, Catterick, Saunders. Grant.

I have a club photo (1948/49) of all the club players at the time, including all those above.

We didn't win anything in those days but were still the best team in the world.

Players were shit back then. I have this argument with the old man all the time. Everyone explodes over the great George best and other big names.

Let me tell you when I seen best play, all I seen was a bad Stuart Ripley.

I also remember seeing bobby Charlton run on the beach with the ball at his feet

Laughable!!!!

When I supported Everton in the years after the war, I can still remember my favourite team.

Goalkeeper: Sagar

Right back: Greenhalgh

Left back: Dugdale

Right half: Lello

Centre Half: Jones (Tommy)

Left Half: Farrell (captain)

Outside right: Corr

Inside right: Wainwright

Centre forward: Dodds

Inside left: Fielding

Outside left: Eglington

Other players who played:

Boyes, Stevenson, Powell, Burnett (goalie) Bentham, Catterick, Saunders. Grant.

I have a club photo (1948/49) of all the club players at the time, including all those above.

We didn't win anything in those days but were still the best team in the world.

Same Catterick as later became manager or different person?

Players were shit back then. I have this argument with the old man all the time. Everyone explodes over the great George best and other big names.

Let me tell you when I seen best play, all I seen was a bad Stuart Ripley.

I also remember seeing bobby Charlton run on the beach with the ball at his feet

Laughable!!!!

Completely ridiculous thing to say. It's like saying Steven Hawking is a better physicist than Albert Einstein because science has moved on.

If George Best was twenty-five today he'd have been brought up to play in the modern way and he'd be a complete genius. You can't take two eras and compare them like-for-like.

Truly laughable.

Yeh got to admit the games come on ten fold since then. They wouldn't last 5 minutes now. Games to quick

If a team from the 1960's played a team from 2014 it would depend on the referee. With a 1960's referee the 1960's team would win easily. The 2014 team wouldn't know what had hit them. With a 2014 referee the 1960's side would get 5 red cards in the first half-hour.

If a team from the 1960's played a team from 2014 it would depend on the referee. With a 1960's referee the 1960's team would win easily. The 2014 team wouldn't know what had hit them. With a 2014 referee the 1960's side would get 5 red cards in the first half-hour.

Kicking hell out of eachother doesn't reflect on the talent of a player. If anything it just makes them less talented. I maintain, the best 11 now would wipe the floor with the best 40-50 years ago.

Kicking hell out of eachother doesn't reflect on the talent of a player. If anything it just makes them less talented. I maintain, the best 11 now would wipe the floor with the best 40-50 years ago.

As I said, you're comparing apples with oranges, completely pointless.

Get a time machine and shift the best eleven players now back fifty years and develop them from a young age with the level of knowledge, sports science, equipment, playing surface etc etc that was available then.....then do the reverse; bring di Stefano, Puskas, Pele, Eusabio, Best and the rest into a position where they were trained in the modern way and had the advantages that dieticians, fitness coaches, psychologists, masseurs etc ad infinitum bring and they'd wipe the floor with the "old fashioned" Messi, Ronaldo etc.

Daftest discussion ever.

As I said, you're comparing apples with oranges, completely pointless.

Get a time machine and shift the best eleven players now back fifty years and develop them from a young age with the level of knowledge, sports science, equipment, playing surface etc etc that was available then.....then do the reverse; bring di Stefano, Puskas, Pele, Eusabio, Best and the rest into a position where they were trained in the modern way and had the advantages that dieticians, fitness coaches, psychologists, masseurs etc ad infinitum bring and they'd wipe the floor with the "old fashioned" Messi, Ronaldo etc.

Daftest discussion ever.

I don't get your point though Mike? You agree that today's players are on a completely different level to anything 40 years ago? But it's a daft discussion? Nobody's said that older players wernt at a disadvantage. Just that they were nowhere near the level of today's game. Edited by MC11

I don't get your point though Mike? You agree that today's players are on a completely different level to anything 40 years ago? But it's a daft discussion? Nobody's said that older players wernt at a disadvantage. Just that they were nowhere near the level of today's game.

I'm saying that with the natural abilities they had they would have been great players today had they been born in 1985 rather than 1935.

And if Ronaldo/Messi had been born in 1935 they'd have been great players within the limits that existed in that era.

As in (as I said) Hawking knows a lot more than Einstein did because science has moved on, doesn't make him a "better" physicist.

You're not comparing like with like. Charles Babbage wouldn't have a clue how to work the laptop that I'm typing this on but he was (though I hate to admit it) probably more skilled/important/influential in the field of computing than I am.

Endless sporting examples; put Fred Perry up against Roger Federer, Jesse Owens against Usain Bolt, be ridiculously one sided because time/science/knowledge moves on.

Of course a team of the best players in the world today playing against a team of the best players in the world fifty years ago using today's equipment and rules would destroy them, no question. That doesn't make them "better," it just reflects progress.

Therefore, it's a daft discussion because it's a totally iniquitous comparison.

Shame that this non-argument has hijacked a "nostalgia" thread really :mellow:.

Completely ridiculous thing to say. It's like saying Steven Hawking is a better physicist than Albert Einstein because science has moved on.

If George Best was twenty-five today he'd have been brought up to play in the modern way and he'd be a complete genius. You can't take two eras and compare them like-for-like.

Truly laughable.

Bullshit mike, did players like best have different legs to players of today. I'm talking skill at there feet. They all had two feet and ten toes and a round ball.

Bullshit mike, did players like best have different legs to players of today. I'm talking skill at there feet. They all had two feet and ten toes and a round ball.

Maybe anatomically, but that way of thinking is too simplistic. You're not taking into consideration modern training and advances in physiology.

Even your comment about the ball doesn't make sense, because even it has transformed drastically since the times of Best and Pele.

Agree with Mike.

Players today are on a different level due to having a different level of training available.

If players from yesteryear had today's training it may be a different story.

The first car ever produced is not a patch on today's cars, but it was still a technological marvel at the time.

If you asked a car designer today to compare himself to the first ever designer...I'm sure he would bow down and admit he's not on the same level.

Einstein or today's top physicist?

Agree with Mike.

Players today are on a different level due to having a different level of training available.

If players from yesteryear had today's training it may be a different story.

The first car ever produced is not a patch on today's cars, but it was still a technological marvel at the time.

If you asked a car designer today to compare himself to the first ever designer...I'm sure he would bow down and admit he's not on the same level.

Einstein or today's top physicist?

So players like ronaldinhio had state of the art facilities and balls back in Brazil growing up?

It doesn't matter what they had available to them back then.... I'd imagine basic skills before a child's even picked up these days is far more advanced than the skill of kids in the 40s. People evolve they get quicker, tactics change etc etc.

It's the same with soldiers. Today's Elite soldiers would more than likely kick seven shites out of soldiers in the 60s

It doesn't matter what they had available to them back then.... I'd imagine basic skills before a child's even picked up these days is far more advanced than the skill of kids in the 40s. People evolve they get quicker, tactics change etc etc.

It's the same with soldiers. Today's Elite soldiers would more than likely kick seven shites out of soldiers in the 60s

Oi! I was a soldier in the 1950's and me and my musket would take on the SAS any day. :leggit: