IGNORED

Baines in the middle? Worth a try or not

Peter H

Baines in the middle?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Worth giving Baines a few games as cm or not?

• Yes
    • No

I might add that if Baines played against west ham last night in place of Oviedo, we wouldn't have got a draw out of that game.

For all the dodgy moments Oviedo had last night when it came to the crunch he did what I and probably every evertonian has been crying out for all season. He put his foot through it and drilled it low and hard into a dangerous place. I guarantee Baines would have side footed a inch perfect pass only for it to be hacked away.

Sometimes you just need to pit it in a dangerous position and play witht the odds.

haha you cant take it you and mikeo are like the chuckle brothers.

what did you say jack rodwell future england captain ha ha you havnt got a clue saddo.

Can't take what exactly? Was it an insult?

Did I say that? I don't remember, but if I did then I got that very wrong.

In terms of not having a clue you'd be the best person to judge. Jagielka's locker must be getting cobwebs after all this time being emptied out a couple of years ago. Is he enjoying playing for Arsenal? I'm dying to know, and you've got the inside scope after all.

Smile, Patto, it won't kill you. Failing that, take a sleeping pill and tackle the day tomorrow.

only for his very serious injury jags was gone but never mind that why do you and mikeo always post sarcastic remarks have you two got problems if I post a rumour.

This place thrives on sarcasm, everybody's at it; not just me and Mark. You should try it :).

only for his very serious injury jags was gone but never mind that why do you and mikeo always post sarcastic remarks have you two got problems if I post a rumour.

I can't speak for Mike (despite us having to me, to you telepathy), but I post sarcastic remarks to everyone. I'm a sarcastic person. It's not personal, buttercup. Hence why I responded to your double mafia arseholes comment with sarcasm. It was meant in a friendly ribbing way, like the comment about Jags going to Arsenal. Don't take things so much to heart, you'll be better for it.

I was just trying to give some of our regulars a bit of insight into what ive been led to believe is going on its very rare baines misses a game he certainly didnt look injured against hull.

so I have reason to believe what I heard about baines from an ex blues player.

so it remaines to be seen will baines play left back or midfield on saturday.

I think martinez is really under pressure are the team losing faith in his system of play.

You can't speculate on this forum mate. People have the impression that everything is rosy unless it's out in the press. I disagree.

I was just trying to give some of our regulars a bit of insight into what ive been led to believe is going on its very rare baines misses a game he certainly didnt look injured against hull.

so I have reason to believe what I heard about baines from an ex blues player.

so it remaines to be seen will baines play left back or midfield on saturday.

I think martinez is really under pressure are the team losing faith in his system of play.

Doesn't seem as rare as it once did over the last 12 months

You can't speculate on this forum mate. People have the impression that everything is rosy unless it's out in the press. I disagree.

And you have the impression that the club's imploding unless the opposite is proved, so between us we're nicely balanced :).

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/these-cheap-shots-must-be-stopped--footballers-are-endangering-the-careers-of-their-peers-by-needlessly-pushing-them-9979805.html

Thought i'd put this here. Glad someone has picked up on this. Baines got lucky the other night - it is a cowardly and dangerous act. A straight red should be issued.

• 2 months later...

Leonardo - played left back for Brazil keeping Roberto Carlos out and moved to Midfield.

I don't know if he could do it, I don't see any reason why not to be honest. If it wasn't for the fact that we have a talented lad in Garbutt coming through I would be reluctant to try it. Its a case of lets see.

As an amatuer I spent most my time as a full back/right mid and eventually striker. I did moved to defensive mid and found I played some of my best games there as its about "what you see" rather than what you can do. I think it could work but i'm not 100% sure.

"We want a plan B!"

"Baines to MF? Others have done it and excelled"

"We want a different plan B!"

Seriously, we wanted out of the box thinking, something that wasn't going to be expected by others, something fresh. We get a proposal and shoot it to pieces....

Putting a decisive, fast passer with an excellent engine and intelligent runs for 1-2's into CDM is not a bad idea in my opinion. In fact, couple that with the facts that fast, direct passing with energy is something desperately required in midfield, and that we have an excellent prospect coming through in LB who we need to nurture, its common sense to at least try.

No doubt, it would take some getting used to, but its different and people would not know what to expect. Alternatives? Stick with Barry.

I just think "its worth a look". If you think about it, he's restricted with options to pass as a wide player - opening up a whole view of options could be a great thing. It may be data overload, but lets see.

Simple as this - "not one person for sure can say if it will be a good thing or not"

I just think "its worth a look". If you think about it, he's restricted with options to pass as a wide player - opening up a whole view of options could be a great thing. It may be data overload, but lets see.

Simple as this - "not one person for sure can say if it will be a good thing or not"

hadn't even thought of that, great point.

Matt - so anyone that wanted a plan B should just be happy with any plan B and has to agree with it? That doesn't even make sense.

No, but my training from work is to come with solutions if you're not happy with the proposal. "Thats shit" or "that won't work" aren't useful unless theres a reason behind and to have other suggestions is even more productive.

For me, Baines in the middle is a viable solution. Ideal? Not 100% but its new and has more benefits that negatives.

No, but my training from work is to come with solutions if you're not happy with the proposal. "Thats shit" or "that won't work" aren't useful unless theres a reason behind and to have other suggestions is even more productive.

For me, Baines in the middle is a viable solution. Ideal? Not 100% but its new and has more benefits that negatives.

I see one benefit and that's that he can pass. The negatives stack up - his positional awareness is nowhere to be found (something that is vital to the position you want him play), he's weak, he's not a great defender, he's not particularly great at tackling, he's not going to win headers... So, like I said, I think it's a stupid idea.

I see one benefit and that's that he can pass. The negatives stack up - his positional awareness is nowhere to be found (something that is vital to the position you want him play), he's weak, he's not a great defender, he's not particularly great at tackling, he's not going to win headers... So, like I said, I think it's a stupid idea.

I wasn't saying people couldn't say it's a bad idea. In general, the responses have been less well put than you have there, usually along the lines of "thats a shit idea" or "he was shit that 10 mins he played there that one game". Which, despite being frustratingly devoid of explanation, are valid too.

My point was that the same people wanting a plan B have been the same people ridiculing this plan B. Just strange in my eyes.

I would take Makelele as the model for a DM. His attributes were, caould read a game, quick, change of direction, good tackler. Wasn't good in the air or necessarily strong.

As I say, we can just but see what he can offer.

Baines has one of those attributes - a good change of direction. He certainly can't read the game or tackle. And, while he's got a good engine, he's not actually quick. So I just don't see why anyone even thinks it could work tbh.

Edited by Romey 1878

I think Baines had looked decent the two tines I have watched him play that position. And that was when we were dire.

Give him a go when we're playing decent and see what happens.

One thing I have noticed is that he does come inside a lot more the last few months...also did it a few times for England too.

Maybe he's trying it.