IGNORED

Fair Play

I get the arguments against, kind of, but the main reason we want to finish higher in the league is to obtain a place in Europe at the end of the day. So we get a chance of a place in the CL, because it helps attracts talented players to help us progress. What's the point in aiming for Europe then turning down a place of we get one?

I get the arguments against, kind of, but the main reason we want to finish higher in the league is to obtain a place in Europe at the end of the day. So we get a chance of a place in the CL, because it helps attracts talented players to help us progress. What's the point in aiming for Europe then turning down a place of we get one?

Season finishes 24th May. Do we really want to be playing competitive matches five weeks later? How long would that give the players off before being back in for pre-season?

If we get it I'd play the under 21s/reserves tbh; they should be good enough to beat the sort of opposition who goes in that early. If we get knocked out then no problem; if we get to the groups we give it some attention. First team squad need a decent break.

Season finishes 24th May. Do we really want to be playing competitive matches five weeks later? How long would that give the players off before being back in for pre-season?

If we get it I'd play the under 21s/reserves tbh; they should be good enough to beat the sort of opposition who goes in that early. If we get knocked out then no problem; if we get to the groups we give it some attention. First team squad need a decent break.

i look at it a different way. Preseason wouldn't start that much later and after last summers joke of a setup, this would at least be competitive plus being in Europe will be an attraction to players. Small, but still some, TV money. Worst case, it gets treated as preseason and we go out early. Best case, we've looked more attractive to potential signings, get some cash and play in Europe next season. I really don't see any negative that counters the positives.

I can't see why anyone wouldn't want it.

I just don't buy this idea that European football has a detrimental effect on our league form. This season has been a disaster because of poor tactics and poor form not because of the extra games European football brings

Spot on dunc. Also we looked good in Europe, smashed up some good teams. Our style of play works well there.

Looks like west ham have been instructed to play for Europe.

Lost at a whimper to Villa, but no yellow cards.

Respect of officials and opponents west ham could have lost some big points!

I'd take Europe, the more we play it the better we come at it. We can't just walk into the champions league and expect to do well. We need to grow step by step and this is a crucial albeit painful step

Edited by Btay

I can't see why anyone wouldn't want it.

I just don't buy this idea that European football has a detrimental effect on our league form. This season has been a disaster because of poor tactics and poor form not because of the extra games European football brings

Bingo I'd add injuries to the list too Edited by Matt

It's been reported that we have been granted the position already. I thought that was a done deal?

The season's not over yet so how could the final positions be decided?

Do you have a link for it?

Still speculation as far as I know, can find no more updated UEFA table than the one I linked.

I'm in the same camp of people that want Europa simply because it guarantees us a schedule of games that we can treat as a preseason. At worst, as some have said, we play the youngsters and give them some game time. After this past horrendous preseason, this can't hurt too much.

Edited by Toffee_in_LA