IGNORED

Everton Area of Liverpool

markjazzbassist

I was looking on google maps today to try and get a better understand of how the city is laid out (also to see where "the Wirral" is) and noticed an area near both an field and Goodson titled "Everton". I'm guessing this part of the city is where we derived our name.

Can anyone tell me about this are? Is it nice, run down, parks, shops, etc. I thought it was cool that a section of the city is titled that. And yes I am a geography nerd.

Out of curiosity Mark, with you seemingly shocked that a place was called Everton, where did you think our name came from?

I don't want to come across snobby, or up my own arse here, but Everton isn't a great area. Not somewhere id want my kids to live anyway. It's quite a deprived part of the city, to be honest that whole side of the city is pretty deprived. Plenty of good people I'm sure, I've known a few myself, but the area is in real need of investment and regeneration.

When areas of Manchester have had so much regeneration that they have been regenerated two in the last twenty years, and there are areas of Liverpool that have had none, something needs to be done. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon though.

There used to be a history section on the official website that was really good, not sure how it is since the remake of the site (not a fan) but worth checking out Mark, I'm sure you'd find it really interesting if it's still as good as it used to be.

Edited by StevO

Out of curiosity Mark, with you seemingly shocked that a place was called Everton, where did you think our name came from?

I don't want to come across snobby, or up my own arse here, but Everton isn't a great area. Not somewhere id want my kids to live anyway. It's quite a deprived part of the city, to be honest that whole side of the city is pretty deprived. Plenty of good people I'm sure, I've known a few myself, but the area is in real need of investment and regeneration.

When areas of Manchester have had so much regeneration that they have been regenerated two in the last twenty years, and there are areas of Liverpool that have had none, something needs to be done. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon though.

Very interesting thanks Steve. I've read the history of the club and know we were st domingos first, but had forgotten how Everton became the name. This makes sense though.

And yeah every city has some rough parts nothing to be ashamed of, just was wondering what it's like.

Thanks

Edited by markjazzbassist

Everton is rough, as rough as can be. Netherfield Rd is the red light district of Liverpool but it's an old part of the city.Prince Ruperts Tower (on our badge) is at the top of Netherfield Rd and dates back to the 1400s (I think without checking) that part of Liverpool was farm and the valley (Everton valley) stretched down in to the expanses of the Mersey back then snd the Mersey came in a lot further than it did now before they built the original Grt Georges Dock and was one of the earliest settlements in the coity.

Now it's full of tower blocks run down housing estates, heroin, crack, povert and squalour.

They're bringing that scheme back were landlords or investors can buy the derelict houses for £1. All they have to do is prove they have the capital to renovate them.... There's money to be made by people with deep pockets on this one and hopefully it will bring some areas back up to scratch!

Edited by MC11

What do you put that down to, Steve? I grew up in Liverpool in the 70's but have lived in M/CR for the last 25. Although, there are areas (east Manchester) which are as rough and deprived as anywhere in the country, the city is unrecognisable from what it used to be. The IRA bomb helped usher in wide scale redevelopment of the city centre, but I also think the cultures of the two cities is very different. Manchester punches well above its weight, is far more ambitious and forward thinking, and is much more multi-cultural. It has also benefitted from two successful football teams (since the 90's) and a massive musical legacy, which attracts investment. When I go back to Liverpool, you can see that place has enormous potential (the buildings are magnificent), yet it often feels like, in attitude, it hasn't moved.

What do you put that down to, Steve? I grew up in Liverpool in the 70's but have lived in M/CR for the last 25. Although, there are areas (east Manchester) which are as rough and deprived as anywhere in the country, the city is unrecognisable from what it used to be. The IRA bomb helped usher in wide scale redevelopment of the city centre, but I also think the cultures of the two cities is very different. Manchester punches well above its weight, is far more ambitious and forward thinking, and is much more multi-cultural. It has also benefitted from two successful football teams (since the 90's) and a massive musical legacy, which attracts investment. When I go back to Liverpool, you can see that place has enormous potential (the buildings are magnificent), yet it often feels like, in attitude, it hasn't moved.

Manchester has been a waste of investment, imagine that money in Liverpool and you'd have a much better rival to London. From town to didsbury is a shit hole. Council estates are worse than Kirkby too. Let

MC if you can find a house in the everton area for a £1 let me know I would be very interested.

This ain't no bullshit mate... Council are trying to get the derelict houses done up. It was on radio City a few weeks ago. Selling them off for £1 each not sure if there's any in Everton mind.

I think after the bombing the council were very forward thinking, and very proactive into coming out of it better than before. I also believe they were helpful to businesses too, making planning as easy as possible and lower taxes to attract bigger companies in. All of the councils around Merseyside aren't so helpful to business, small businesses in particular.
Liverpool, as a city, is at least ten years behind Manchester, and I hate to say that, I love my city (even though I now live in Chorley) but its always one step forward one step back.
Media city in Salford is a great example of trying to attract big companies in.
Don't get me wrong, Manchester isn't perfect, my partner works in Salford and was at the site of a shooting five mins before it happened earlier this week, so it certainly has its bad sides too.

This ain't no bullshit mate... Council are trying to get the derelict houses done up. It was on radio City a few weeks ago. Selling them off for £1 each not sure if there's any in Everton mind.

Urban Splash made a fortune the last time the council did this. They don't sell them to individuals though do they? Didn't they want companies to buy them, full streets at a time? Edited by StevO

I was looking on google maps today to try and get a better understand of how the city is laid out (also to see where "the Wirral" is) and noticed an area near both an field and Goodson titled "Everton". I'm guessing this part of the city is where we derived our name.

Can anyone tell me about this are? Is it nice, run down, parks, shops, etc. I thought it was cool that a section of the city is titled that. And yes I am a geography nerd.

Mark,

During the blitz the Luftwaffe dropped 2,000 tons of bombs on the district of Everton - they did £15 worth of damage.

I think after the bombing the council were very forward thinking, and very proactive into coming out of it better than before. I also believe they were helpful to businesses too, making planning as easy as possible and lower taxes to attract bigger companies in. All of the councils around Merseyside aren't so helpful to business, small businesses in particular.

Liverpool, as a city, is at least ten years behind Manchester, and I hate to say that, I love my city (even though I now live in Chorley) but its always one step forward one step back.

Media city in Salford is a great example of trying to attract big companies in.

Don't get me wrong, Manchester isn't perfect, my partner works in Salford and was at the site of a shooting five mins before it happened earlier this week, so it certainly has its bad sides too.

Urban Splash made a fortune the last time the council did this. They don't sell them to individuals though do they? Didn't they want companies to buy them, full streets at a time?

Not sure what the exact specs are on it just heard that they're doing it again.

I don't think the &1 a house is Everton though I think it's in the Dingle again isn't it? There's not really much to regenerate in Everton. The old Henglers Circus estate has gone and been replaced, all the roads right and left off Netherfield have new builds, Hapton St up the hill is just a park now, Crete and Candia Towers are re-done and Jason St is just old corpy houses but still fine. It's just an area where the prostitutes walk there's curb crawling signs all the way up Netherfield Rd the area because of the brasses is full of drug dealing. Great Homer St is all redone, Notre Dame have built a new school the market and shops are gone it's besn moved over the road in to it's old complex, Soho St is all newly built and the Collegiate School is now student accomodation and opposite Hope Uni have built a campus the NSPCC havd built a massive building on Greaty the whole lot is done but it's still a shit hole.

You can build a palace, if the residents don't look aftrr it it'll become a shit hole rapidly.. Most round ghere are giod people it's the drug culture. Even Queens Rd has all been done now.

Some people haven't got a clue about the district of everton there's no slums at all and we have one of the nicest parks in liverpool with a fantastic view.

Everton has one of the lowest crime rates in the city.

The surrounding areas have far more problems but I won't name them in case I offend the good people that live in them.

This would suggest otherwise Patto but I'm not saying they're right, maybe the stats take in a wider area.

post-1126-0-95885500-1439736506_thumb.png

http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Neighbourhood/2708

Some people haven't got a clue about the district of everton there's no slums at all and we have one of the nicest parks in liverpool with a fantastic view.

The surrounding areas have far more problems but I won't name them in case I offend the good people that live in them.

I said that Patto, it's Netherfield with the brasses that gives it the name although the Grizedale estate and bits are rough as fuck mate just as is parts of litherland. Bark Rd not far from me is like The Gaza Strip on a good day.

Good and bad people everywhere.

Tbh lads the side roads off Goodison Road are the Pitts. I parked up one the other day (around 5pm) and the first person I saw was 40 year old crack head with no teeth sitting on her doorstep having a fag, literally every single house had doorstep visitors.... Young girls in their pyjamas. Lastly but by no means least there was some arl fella lying in his own piss at the end of the road.

Tbh lads the side roads off Goodison Road are the Pitts. I parked up one the other day (around 5pm) and the first person I saw was 40 year old crack head with no teeth sitting on her doorstep having a fag, literally every single house had doorstep visitors.... Young girls in their pyjamas. Lastly but by no means least there was some arl fella lying in his own piss at the end of the road.

Yep, that's Liverpool as a whole for you. Good and bad, nice and rough all over it.

Thanks patto good to know.

• 8 months later...

I am planing to move to Liverpool. I see cheap apartments in Everton. The best price is in Jason Street are low.

Example:

Everton apartment: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52829204.html

Kirkby apartment: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58096649.html

Why the price is low? Is it because of criminal or some other reason?